Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Yep....

I've said it before and I'll say it again: a modern, properly done take on the '70-'73 Camaro would have been awesome. Instead, safe and bland. :doh:

It could have been done too, the Buick Avista concept (built on the same chassis) would have been a fine base, with proper front/rear and quarter window styling tweaks to capture the essence of the '70-'73.
Sponsored

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
So the Mustang produces better times, grips harder, and is bested only in the 0-60 run, the 30-50 run in top gear and braking...but the Camaro gets the win...

Nah, no bias there.

JohnnyUtah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 M4 Comp, 2019 Silverado
So the Mustang produces better times, grips harder, and is bested only in the 0-60 run, the 30-50 run in top gear and braking...but the Camaro gets the win...

Nah, no bias there.
They made it pretty clear in the article why they liked the Camaro better. Not sure why anytime the Mustang doesn't win it must be biased or the magazine must be paid off.

The sensory experience is paramount in performance cars. In that context, a good naturally aspirated engine has a built-in advantage. That the Camaro’s chassis and seats and steering and turn-in response are better than the Mustang’s makes awarding the win to the Chevy all the more easy.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase

Nah, no bias there.
I agree with C&D if you take looks out of the picture. I've driven several cars that were objectively good but not fun/good to drive. The EB engine does always sound like it is groaning...not something that begs to be revved or even heard. The sound is a big part of the performance car experience and it lacks in a big way.

Sponsored

Bubbachunks

Forever Ford!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Millenium Falcon
I agree with C&D if you take looks out of the picture. I've driven several cars that were objectively good but not fun/good to drive. The EB engine does always sound like it is groaning...not something that begs to be revved or even heard. The sound is a big part of the performance car experience and it lacks in a big way.
"Objectively good but not fun/good to drive"?
Umm.....what?:confused:

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
This means that it is quick/grippy by the numbers but lacks a synthesis of the things that make a great driver's car. The Hyundai Genesis coupe is a great example of this. The sound, the steering feel, the pedal feel, the shifter/clutch feel, the overall driving ergonomics. These are things that are hard to quantify as they are subjective. You can put forces to most of those and still won't capture everything. The best driver's cars had steering & handling and performance evaluators/engineers who signed off on them and who are among the best few in the world.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I think it's like when the car mags all said BMW cars lost their soul. The cars were still fast but not fun. I drove a 2014 1LE and I felt that way about it. The engine had good torque but didn't rev out well. I've read the same thing about the Ecoboost in its stock configuration. It has good midrange but nothing at the top end. It makes the car less fun to drive.

I'm not trying to insult Ecoboost cars or drivers. In fact I've never driven one, so I'm just repeating what I've read WRT the Ecoboost engine. :cheers:

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
Customers just DO NOT read magazine comparisons anymore. In fact, most people do not read MT/CD at all nor make buying decisions based on them.

It's wasted $$$ for GM to dump this much effort into magazines...

No one cares enough to listen to media. Car of the Year? Sold 5000 cars in May 2016... so...

OP
OP
bluebeastsrt

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
They made it pretty clear in the article why they liked the Camaro better. Not sure why anytime the Mustang doesn't win it must be biased or the magazine must be paid off.

The sensory experience is paramount in performance cars. In that context, a good naturally aspirated engine has a built-in advantage. That the Camaro’s chassis and seats and steering and turn-in response are better than the Mustang’s makes awarding the win to the Chevy all the more easy.
There seams to be two kinds of people in the auto enthusiast world. Numbers people. That only care about the fastest 0-60, 1/4 mile. Best skid pad etc. And then there are the second group that think the Mazda Miata is the best car on earth. I will freely admit I'm more of a numbers guy. But sitting inside a Camaro and having to live with the sight lines and interior ruined the sensory experience for me. I'd take the horrible exhaust sound of the EB over the flying blind experience any day. The Camaro has the best performance numbers of the 3 pony cars right now. But it would be the last one I would consider buying after owning a 5th gen Camaro.

Sponsored

FastCarFanBoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 GB GT
well hopefully the testers and editors run out and buy a Camaro, cuz right now nobody else is.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
There seams to be two kinds of people in the auto enthusiast world. Numbers people. That only care about the fastest 0-60, 1/4 mile. Best skid pad etc. And then there are the second group that think the Mazda Miata is the best car on earth. I will freely admit I'm more of a numbers guy. But sitting inside a Camaro and having to live with the sight lines and interior ruined the sensory experience for me. I'd take the horrible exhaust sound of the EB over the flying blind experience any day. The Camaro has the best performance numbers of the 3 pony cars right now. But it would be the last one I would consider buying after owning a 5th gen Camaro.
There's those of us that are in the middle of those. We have a threshold of numbers that make something exciting, and a threshold of involvement that makes something fun. The Mustang is very good at sitting near that line in both cases. Each person's threshold is different, however.

Glenn G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
15 DIB 6MT base Ecoboost

What I find hilarious is that when the Camaro beats a Mustang in tests by 10ths of a second, the magazines all rage about how it is the better performer. In this test when the EB Mustang beat it at everything except 0-60 witch was a freaking 10th of a second, The give still give the Camaro the win because it sounds better.

I really do feel sorry for anyone who buys a V6 Camaro vs the 2.0T, near 2k more for a car that will be getting it's ass handed to it by the base model with a $500 tune as opposed to the Mustang where the V6 buyers get a hell of a car for the least amount of money.

Bubbachunks

Forever Ford!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Millenium Falcon
Customers just DO NOT read magazine comparisons anymore. In fact, most people do not read MT/CD at all nor make buying decisions based on them.

It's wasted $$$ for GM to dump this much effort into magazines...

No one cares enough to listen to media. Car of the Year? Sold 5000 cars in May 2016... so...
You might be right.
In the latest C/D there is an article absolutely trashing the 4 cylinder Camero.

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Since group ten magazine company killed 5.0 Mustang magazine I only keep one subscription and that's Street Rodder magazine. Magazines like C/D R/T m/t automotive and the like act so self important and aluff. They know better than you or me, ha their biased and some seem to have a axe to grind
Sponsored