Sponsored

Caliper painting v. powder coating

Joe 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP
Vehicle Showcase
Hey guys, what are the pros and cons of painting a caliper v. having it powdercoated?

I want to paint my calipers, but I feel like everytime I see someones calipers that have been spray painted, they look terrible later down the road (chipping, peeling, etc.).

I would hate to ruin the stock finish on my Brembos.
Sponsored

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Powder coating is much more durable basically it's like melting plastic to a surface. The process it's self is more complex than painting and costs more.
Painting is easier cheaper but less durable.
I guess for calipers, it's cheaper to paint and since it doesn't really touch anything, durability is not an issue.
For paint or powder coat to stick properly to surfaces, you are going to have to sand blast and properly clean the surface so the stock finish on your Brembo is gonna be gone.

mhagerty

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS
Have you checked out G2 Caliper Paint? It works great and I've never had an issue with peeling or chipping. They have many colors to choose from or they can mix you a custom color. I had them mix me up some Ruby Red and the calipers came out great.

Powder coating is great as well it just costs more and your car is down for whatever time they need it for.

Don't think you can go wrong either way.

Blk2015GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Powdercoating you also need to totally remove the calipers; painting you can just cover the rotor/rest of the hub and paint.

The new paints like G2 are pretty good these days and will stand up for a long time.

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!
Splitting brembos is a horrible idea. Brembo will not supply torque specs for reassembly and if i recall correctly do not sell new bolts. Some people get away with no issues after splitting them, a lot of other people are not that lucky. Decide if its worth the gamble

Sponsored

OP
OP
Joe 5.0

Joe 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP
Vehicle Showcase
Looks like the G2 paint is the way to go, lol!

Thanks guys.

How much would I need for the 2 Brembos up front and the 2 rear calipers?

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Splitting brembos is a horrible idea. Brembo will not supply torque specs for reassembly and if i recall correctly do not sell new bolts. Some people get away with no issues after splitting them, a lot of other people are not that lucky. Decide if its worth the gamble
Interesting.

Someone posted they wanted the red calipers on their GT350 like the GT350Rs come with. So they ordered new ones to avoid the down time of having theirs powder-coated and then sold the originals. They reported and posted pics showing the factory red calipers had been painted/coated with the pistons already installed. You could see some red where it got under or past the masking. I wonder if it was a last minute decision by Ford to put red on the GT350Rs and so had to do the red after the fact and didn't want to spit them for the reasons you mention and so also decided to leave the pistons in.

What was most interesting to me at the time was that Ford wasn't concerned about the masked off parts going thru the powder-coating heat cycles.

Jeff's FRC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Had mine powder coated and they DO NOT need to be split, but my car has the standard GT brakes.

Finish on powder is MUCH nicer than any of those off the shelf diy kits and the finished product looks professional.
766B9C66-704E-4FD0-B9B3-C4B726074C24_zpsjeqq4arz.jpg

72B2AF55-29D1-4226-A1EA-1A29CA7642D1_zpstbgmljdc.jpg

C2BA18A2-EEDE-4B32-A776-210C513C8811_zpsmdzdmh41.jpg

Sponsored

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Carroll Shelbys Soul Lives Under My GT350 Hood
Interesting.

Someone posted they wanted the red calipers on their GT350 like the GT350Rs come with. So they ordered new ones to avoid the down time of having theirs powder-coated and then sold the originals. They reported and posted pics showing the factory red calipers had been painted/coated with the pistons already installed. You could see some red where it got under or past the masking. I wonder if it was a last minute decision by Ford to put red on the GT350Rs and so had to do the red after the fact and didn't want to spit them for the reasons you mention and so also decided to leave the pistons in.

What was most interesting to me at the time was that Ford wasn't concerned about the masked off parts going thru the powder-coating heat cycles.
That would be me. I started the thread of the R calipers months ago. The R calipers are cheap and no down time. They are not powder coated. They are in fact painted. It's a single stage urethane paint. I know this because I have a family owned body shop for over 45 years. It's a catalyst paint. It will chip. But it's is automotive paint, not rattle can. Also the GT350/R calipers are one piece mono block. They are not two piece.

mhagerty

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS
G2 is not a spray paint, its a paint that you mix with a reactor resin that forms a pretty tough coating. Of course not as tough as powder coating but it costs a lot less as well, anywhere from $39 to $100 depending on color. One kit will coat all four calipers with four coats.

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Carroll Shelbys Soul Lives Under My GT350 Hood
G2 is not a spray paint, its a paint that you mix with a reactor resin that forms a pretty tough coating. Of course not as tough as powder coating but it costs a lot less as well, anywhere from $39 to $100 depending on color. One kit will coat all four calipers with four coats.
I'm aware of that. But it's not the same quality as ppg, basf, house of color etc. but if it works for the consumer have at it.

Shouldhavegotthegt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT 2014 Ram 1500 RCSB 4x4
I used plastidip. It's been holding up the last few months just fine. We'll see how it does over the summer. It's supposed to hit 115 this weekend in Phoenix.
Sponsored