Sponsored

Is it a real Shelby? Interesting update

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
No, Im not trying to start that question. Its never something that goes well. But, In a recent discussion like this, Tracey Smith, Team Shelby director and licensing president posted the following

"Carroll legacy is with Ford, which is where he wanted it in the end. He worked very closely with them (for years) on all of the cars that bear his name, including the GT350. The discussions on GT350 started before 2012, and Carroll was the one who signed the deal. It was never just a badge to Carroll... he always said it’s not the name that makes the car, but the car that makes the name. Carroll saw the two companies as partners (Ford & Shelby American), never as either/or. He understood there were many things SAI could do more nimbly without layers of red tape, and that there were things Ford could do as a big manufacturer that SAI could not. Carroll knew how to put things together to make them work... vehicles, race teams, relationships... it was one of his gifts."

Just thought it was an interesting tidbit
Sponsored

rancherogt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350 Track Pack, 07 Volvo V70, 82 f350
Thanks for sharing Tim

barstowpo

Witness Protection Prog
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gordon
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GT350 Tech/Track hybrid, 2016 FPRS Car#17
An argument could be made that the new 350's were not built by Shelby American and therefore are not real Shelby's. If one were to make that argument, would that not also apply to the 67 to 70 Shelby's as well? I like Tim's answer and heard the same point made at a recent Track Tour.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Shelby doesn't even "make cars" anymore. They're a tuning company for what it's worth. At least Roush Yates builds some real hardcore shizz like blocks, heads, and is directly in bed with FoMoCo.

The way I see it, Shelby is just a name, nothing more nothing less. The engine and driving experience define this car, not the name. It does what M cars did of old. But now M is a badge that is so overthrown around the BMW product line that it's no longer special and what's worse, they're not even that good anymore. That's derailing a little bit but it's just a name as far as I'm concerned. It could be a different Mustang moniker or whatever, wouldn't matter to me.

ncrisis

NCRISIS
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
GT350 DIB Black Roof Track Pack
No, Im not trying to start that question. Its never something that goes well. But, In a recent discussion like this, Tracey Smith, Team Shelby director and licensing president posted the following

"Carroll legacy is with Ford, which is where he wanted it in the end. He worked very closely with them (for years) on all of the cars that bear his name, including the GT350.

I visited Shelby in Vegas and all the employees rolled their eyes when I told them I owned the GT350. They don't consider it a Shelby at all....

Sponsored

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
I visited Shelby in Vegas and all the employees rolled their eyes when I told them I owned the GT350. They don't consider it a Shelby at all....
As a person who is new to the Mustang, the scene and history:

The Shelby American cars just look like a cash grab, milking that name. The only passion I see when I look at their cars is the passion for making money.

The Shelby GT350, is the most Shelby of all the current "Shelby's". Ford had the balls, the vision, and the finances to make an absolute incredible car, at a bargain price. Ford could have fattened their profit margins on the GT350, but they didn't.

I don't see Shelby American as a company that has a bright future. Ford will have to carry Caroll's legacy.

uglygun

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
66 289 2v, 95 Cobra, 05 GT, 15 GT Perf Pack
Yeah...

I see the GT500 and GT350 as more a product of SVT more than anything Shelby is remotely responsible for. Ford likely only needed Shelby for the licensing of a iconic name.

There isnt anything, mustang related, Shelby America does that impresses me anymore.

The SVT cars like the 95 and 00 Cobra R's set the stage. The 03/04 Terminator set up the events to come with the GT500. It could have simply been another Cobra and been every bit as good, I kinda wish the simple Cobra name had stayed.

/edit

Also not a fan of the way Shelby went after companies like Factory Five. The demand was there and he pissed all over everything in an attempt to mark his territory.

mattlqx

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mach 1, '16 F-150, '14 Fiesta ST, '14 Audi A7
The S197 GT350s look like they've been yanked right out of Fast and Furious and have ludicrous price tags to match. They just don't look good to me. Even if they were Ford official, they'd still be tasteless IMO.

I would've been just as happy if they called this car the Mustang Cobra again.

bdub85

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bobby
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Package Shadow Black
I would have bought my car if it was called a Ford Performance Muskrat. I could care less about some sort of marketing legacy, that's not why I bought it.
Me too. I bought mine because it's a badass car.

Sponsored

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
The name Shelby is a very vague term really. It could mean Shelby modified car or it can mean Shelby co designed the car.
A bit like BMW's M devision and Benz's AMG. You still see regular non-M or AMG cars wear the M or AMG badge due to some upgrades.
Shelby made a Shelby GT which is just a regular GT with appearance upgrades. It's all relative.

Last edited:

Mr Monte

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 GT Premium
I would have bought my car if it was called a Ford Performance Muskrat. I could care less about some sort of marketing legacy, that's not why I bought it.
Back in the 70s my brother & I turned his 1966 Mustang into a Hemi powered 4x4 and named it Muskrat.:D

Bobs4x4Mustang.jpg

OP
OP
svttim

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
Didn't mean to start a SA bashing conversation. The original GT350 made by Shelby was the real deal. It did great things on the race track beating up on the corvettes. I believe the latest GT350 is in the image of the original. For those of you who don't know the history of Shelby, you are missing out

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
An argument could be made that the new 350's were not built by Shelby American and therefore are not real Shelby's. If one were to make that argument, would that not also apply to the 67 to 70 Shelby's as well? I like Tim's answer and heard the same point made at a recent Track Tour.
Your point is well taken but it must be pointed out that Shelby American actually handled production for the first 3 model years of the GT350 and the first year of the GT500 after which time production moved to A.O. Smith in Ionia, Michigan and there were a number of reasons for the move.

First, quality control problems with fiberglass body pieces could be solved by being nearer to Detroit.

Secondly, the lease on the Los Angeles plant location was going to expire prior which would certainly affect production for the 1968MY.

Thirdly, Ford would introduce a regular production Shelby convertible model in 1968 for the first time which would mean production numbers would increase substantially and required proximity to new parts which SAI did not have in LA.

Lastly, Ford wanted complete control of the Shelby Mustang for 1968 and when Ford wants to do something they get it done.

There is no question in my mind that SAI team in Las Vegas are competitors to Ford Performance in Dearborn with both entities competing with each other for sales volume from us Ford high performance enthusiasts whether they be young or old as in my case.

Being an old school guy and having grown up with the '65 and '66 GT350's as a young fellow I continue to be loyal to the Dearborn team and don't ever see myself being involved with one of these fine cars coming out of Las Vegas.

It was 4 years ago yesterday that Carroll passed on and that for me was a very sad day and I think of him very often and what had done for all of us Ford enthusiasts over 5 plus decades.

:ford:

OP
OP
svttim

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
Yeah...

I see the GT500 and GT350 as more a product of SVT more than anything Shelby is remotely responsible for. Ford likely only needed Shelby for the licensing of a iconic name.

There isnt anything, mustang related, Shelby America does that impresses me anymore.

The SVT cars like the 95 and 00 Cobra R's set the stage. The 03/04 Terminator set up the events to come with the GT500. It could have simply been another Cobra and been every bit as good, I kinda wish the simple Cobra name had stayed.

/edit

Also not a fan of the way Shelby went after companies like Factory Five. The demand was there and he pissed all over everything in an attempt to mark his territory.
You are correct. But, your statements contradict themselves.

"Ford likely only needed Shelby for the licensing of an Iconic name"

"It could have simply been another Cobra and been every bit as good,"

Ford didn't need the Shelby name or the 350 to sell this car. They wanted it. Carroll had a relationship with Ford and had many friends.

The SVT cars we great but, performance cars came along a lot earlier then the 90's. And since SVT no longer exists, it would be hard for them to make any more cars
Sponsored