Sponsored

Will the V8 still be offered in a few years?

Aarron_M

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Honda Fit
I just want my damned hoverboard while I'm still young enough to ride it.

I can't wait until someone creates a thread for this again in a few days.

Crim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
V8's aren't going anywhere as long as enough 4 cylinder and electric cars are sold to balance out and meet CAFE standards. Can you imagine a V6 Raptor?

CB

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT, Black, PP
If you're not into politics then get into it. It doesn't take much time to call or email your US congress and senate person. They work for us. And the money they spend is ours. Our elected officials need to reign in these non elected agencies. I'm all for dissolving EPA and several others. And I'm tired of having to 'pay' for the pollution that the BRIC countries generate.

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
The V8 engines are made for trucks and re-purposed for the sports cars. So unless there is plans to make truck buyers decide between small turbo engines and large diesel engines, I don't see that happening. I am more concerned about the MT disappearing.

Sponsored

vernonator

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT w/PP - Race Red
It's hard for me to imagine the automobile industry in its current form abandoning the V8. I think there is just too much money to be made from consumers who want one. I can only imagine that they will find some way to keep it, regardless of what the EPA says or does.
You are not taking into account the CAFE standards - they don't CARE what the consumer wants. In fact the more big displacement, low mileage cars consumers buy, the more it will drive the manufacturers to stop offering them. CAFE is based on the avg MPG of the fleet as SOLD. So if lots of low MPG cars get bought the manufacturer is penalized. They will start to die off or be VERY expensive/exclusive in the not too distant future. Only thing that can save us is a change in the upcoming standards which will take a major change in US politics.

GoBlues38

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, Premium, 3.55, 20" Foundry, 6 Spd
A long as the HP and Torque numbers are there, I dont care if it is electric, 4 cyl, 8 cyl, or 12 cyl.

Innovate, or get left behind.

OP
OP
Stormtrooper5.0

Stormtrooper5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GTPP
The V8 engines are made for trucks and re-purposed for the sports cars. So unless there is plans to make truck buyers decide between small turbo engines and large diesel engines, I don't see that happening. I am more concerned about the MT disappearing.
Actually I am with you on that one as well. If in a few years they decided to drop the MT but still had a v8, I wouldn't want it.
I love MT too much :)...

15wile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
I doubt the V8s will go away any time soon. But I wouldn't be surprised if we started seeing different engine *OPTIONS* for the GT. Like the F150 retains a N/A V8, but has the Turbo V6 options, we may see something similar happen with the Mustang eventually.

That could bump up average emissions and efficiency ratings a bit without pissing off the hardcore Mustang buyers.

TruBlu16GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Darrin
Vehicle(s)
'16 Blue GT Base
I'm starting to feel old, here. I'm sure if they'd had internet forums 100 years ago, every few years you'd see a post:

1927: Ford is discontinuing the Model T!! The Sky is falling!!
1940: General Motors invented an automatic transmission! No more manuals! The Sky is falling!
1948: The Straight-8 engine is being phased out! The Sky is falling!!
1974: The Mustang is smaller and doesn't have a V8 anymore! The Sky is falling!!
1975: Oh wait, there it is.
1983: No more Corvette! The Sky is falling!!
1984: Dukes. There it is again.
1987: No more Camaro! All we'll get is the FWD Beretta!! The Sky is falling!!
2002: No more Camaro! (Where will all the redneck babies be conceived now?) The Sky is falling!!

Ad infenitum, ad nauseum, etc.

Sponsored

ElAviator72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost PP Deep Impact Blue (base 100A car)
Actually I am with you on that one as well. If in a few years they decided to drop the MT but still had a v8, I wouldn't want it.
I love MT too much :)...
They tried that in the early 1980's-there last GM F-Bodies and Corvettes before the 1984 redesigns were available in automatic only. We know how that worked :frusty:

The problem I see with more gears in a manual gearbox is that they will have to go to a goofy shift solution at some point if they keep adding gears. We might be split shifting like the semi's ;) Hopefully, Ford has the good sense to avoid a solution like GM's Doug Nash 4+3 overdrive in the '84 Corvette...:crazy:

ElAviator72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost PP Deep Impact Blue (base 100A car)
P.S. I can see the V8 surviving the future by having it's displacement go back down to 4.6 and going to direct injection...not sure if it would also need turbocharging ;)

Freedom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT, '22 Tesla Model 3, '22 F-150 Lightning
DI, deactivation, 10 speed.

SpeedLu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Premium PP1 Mustang GT, 2017 F-150 Platinum FX4
A long as the HP and Torque numbers are there, I dont care if it is electric, 4 cyl, 8 cyl, or 12 cyl.
I wish I could be that objective. I bought this car for more than just the horsepower and torque... the sound of the V8 is intoxicating. I love the look but *hate* the sound of the new Ford GT, SO much. For me it's about the total experience, not just numbers.
Sponsored