Sponsored

Track Day Drivers - What are you doing about the lack of Tow Hooks on the car?

smbstyle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Is it to unrealistic to fab a point under the hood? Assuming the track rigs are using a boom it could work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm thinking something like the formula or prototype cars, tow point on the highest point of the car... an eye bolt through the roof of the GT350 should suffice :D:lol:
Sponsored

FORDSTANGER

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 TP
Ok so the good idea fairy has struck again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mystic_Cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 RR GT350, '65 Mustang Coupe
Been wondering the same thing. Heard that the aluminum front bumper rail is not strong enough to attach to. How do the race versions do it?
So, the aluminum bumper beam meets all Ford and DOT test requirements for crash worthiness but can't support being towed a mile back to the pits?

mattlqx

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mach 1, '16 F-150, '14 Fiesta ST, '14 Audi A7
So, the aluminum bumper beam meets all Ford and DOT test requirements for crash worthiness but can't support being towed a mile back to the pits?
It's an arc. Do you know how arc's work?

Sponsored

mattlqx

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
If the front bumper is reportedly not strong enough to support a tow hook, then the above mentioned aftermarket option may be a bad idea, as it mounts to the bumper...

The front hook points underneath may not be accessible if you go into a gravel pit.
It's really hard to tell from their page with basically non-existant description and postage stamp pictures.

But I don't think it attaches to the crash beam itself and instead might attach to bumper supports. I think the potential problem would be putting force on the center of the inside of the curved crash beam. If this attaches nearer to where the beam is bolted (or the thing that the beam actually bolts to) then it should be fine.

My question is primarily with fitment of the different fascia.

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
At my track day today , an owner of an S197 race car said to just use the strut tower brace if you needed a tow. Pop the hood and throw a strap around it.

Not sure I'd use that method, but it was an interesting solution.

-T

krt22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
It's actually not a bad idea, the strut towers are a pretty beefy part of the chassis. Two straps closer to each tower to form a triangle might be even better.

Kelgar63

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Tow Strap

So there is a nice picture in the manual about a tow strap. Thinking that on a track or even on the street no tow truck will have anything but some giant "J" hook they want to grab onto some part of the suspension, I made something. Hopefully I'll never have to use it but I have it. Its overkill rated at 5300 lbs. I used the "T" hook because it seems to fit best. Folds up nice in a box in the trunk. Take a look.
Strap.jpg
StrapEnd.jpg
StrapY.jpg
StrapHook.jpg
StrapUnder.jpg
StrapFront.jpg
StrapBox.jpg

WingnuT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Darren
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 1985 GT Conv, 1966 Fastback
So there is a nice picture in the manual about a tow strap. Thinking that on a track or even on the street no tow truck will have anything but some giant "J" hook they want to grab onto some part of the suspension, I made something. Hopefully I'll never have to use it but I have it. Its overkill rated at 5300 lbs. I used the "T" hook because it seems to fit best. Folds up nice in a box in the trunk. Take a look.
That is a very clever solution, but one problem... If you go off in the kitty litter, you will most likely be buried up to the belly pan. That hook system would be almost impossible to engage since you simply won't have clearance under the car to hook up. A for effort though. :first:

Sponsored

Kelgar63

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Yep- I hear ya. And off the track that's right where you'll likely end up. You'll never get at the holes in the subframe. But not picking on a car I love, but you would have thought for a car that was designed to see a track or two, the engineers ought to have designed a better towing solution.

mattlqx

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
GT 350 R-C

Front and rear hooks
As noted on the first page, the race cars have steel bumper beams. They just weld the hook to it basically, at least on the front. I haven't seen the rear.

EF300

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350, 2020 GT500 CFTP
I know the service manuals are published. I dont have one but maybe someone who does could chime in on what is beneath the back up light on a 350 which is where this tow hook is.
Sponsored