My ticking ecobomb finally went boom

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThirtyThreePointThree

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 White EcoBoost AT
I find it pretty humorous how all the tuners are jumping saying "it's not ours', "our tunes are completely safe" and so on. lol :)
Only Livernois has made a thread for it as I'm aware.

Haven't heard a peep from other tuners unless they are talking about diagnosing the engine and trying to figure out what's going on.
Sponsored

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
'07 A4, '19 Ram Rebel
Because people are leaning towards LSPI as being a key factor in these engines blowing. The auto trannies driven in D lug the engine around in the perfect LSPI zones a lot.
I always drive in Sport for that exact reason, I never wanna lug

K-Roll302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Karl
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT Premium, '80 Porsche 924 Turbo
I still cannot fathom how these kinds of threads are happening so frequently? Admittedly, I didn't even find out about LSPI until some people started going crazy about it here, and I'd done 25-50% throttle on the highway in 5th or 6th gear in my ST (I don't do that now!!) quite a few times in the past with no adverse affects. I'm convinced that can't be causing all these Ecobooms. However, I would very much like to see someone take apart the 2.0T and 2.3T and compare parts, because this rubbish seemingly never happens to the former motor, so what the hell?:confused:

I also drive a 32 year-old 944: where if anything bad happens to the timing or balance shaft belts, it's almost a given I'm gonna need a new motor or rebuild. I'm LESS worried about that compared to this Ecoboom stuff. And I was thinking about moving up to an EB in 2017....Someone better have their collective shats together on this stuff by then.:tsk:

Also, sorry about your motor, OP. :(

Fast64ranchero

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Walt
Vehicle(s)
63 Ranchero, 1972 Pinto, 2015 Mustang
OP sorry about your car, I too know the feeling and it sucks bad

bislag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT w/PP
I still cannot fathom how these kinds of threads are happening so frequently? Admittedly, I didn't even find out about LSPI until some people started going crazy about it here, and I'd done 25-50% throttle on the highway in 5th or 6th gear in my ST (I don't do that now!!) quite a few times in the past with no adverse affects. I'm convinced that can't be causing all these Ecobooms. However, I would very much like to see someone take apart the 2.0T and 2.3T and compare parts, because this rubbish seemingly never happens to the former motor, so what the hell?:confused:

I also drive a 32 year-old 944: where if anything bad happens to the timing or balance shaft belts, it's almost a given I'm gonna need a new motor or rebuild. I'm LESS worried about that compared to this Ecoboom stuff. And I was thinking about moving up to an EB in 2017....Someone better have their collective shats together on this stuff by then.:tsk:

Also, sorry about your motor, OP. :(
While I may be pretty cautious with my use of throttle in higher gears, the problem is both overstated and not the cause of failure in this case.

I had a 944 for a bit, such a great chassis. But it had a chevy LT1 in it. Pure shenanigans.

Sponsored

Kuronos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
He forced a stock turbo actuator on there and it was completely preloaded out so the car had no control over boost.
We both should have known it wasn't compatible. When i showed it only came with one nut for the rod and the piece you put on the end of the rod for the stock turbo. And I should have known that Iselin pliers to get rod out probably wasn't right. But it's done, car is running fine. I just wanted to show my block handled 30+psi.

OP, are you positive you have your actuator installed correctly?

perfweld

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Mustang
On my drive home from the track last night ( ran a 11.75 at 117 BTW with the stock turbo.) I thought about the blow ups. I tried to make my car do the LSPI thing as I run race fuel so I knew it would not happen BTW and I dont worry about this crap anyways. The way Lund has my car tuned its not really possible, when im at 1800 rpm cruising, if I even barely give it gas it downshifts, im not sure if the LSPI is gonna happen for me the way hes got the trans tune set up. I think it might be smart for tuners to really analyze and integrate the trans tune into there base tune, this might help the LSPI problem. I have an early build by the way, beat my car to death, its not a daily driver, its driven to the track, raced, then driven home, every week.

marjen

2015 Mustang Ecoboost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang Ecoboost premium
Everyone keeps referring to LSPI, but we don't even know if that is actually the issue. Definitely some that have fallen outside the high gear low RPM situations. So might be barking up the wrong tree.

Lost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium 6 speed blackout /3.55
This is exactly why I will not tune my Ecoboost. If something goes wrong engine wise and they find out you tuned it or made even the smallest mod to the engine, the warranty is shot. Not surprised Ford shot down the repair. Even with the smallest doubt they immediately say no.
^^This.

Ford is getting a LOT out of the EB. I know they tuned it to get as much as they RELIABLY could. Anymore, and the reliability margin is going to shrink.

I was faced with making my 11 V6 more exciting with a huffer on it. I came to grips that the best solution for me was a V8. I really think that is the best solution for the EB too.

Sponsored

perfweld

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Mustang
Everyone keeps referring to LSPI, but we don't even know if that is actually the issue. Definitely some that have fallen outside the high gear low RPM situations. So might be barking up the wrong tree.
I dont know why there is even a term for it, im still old school, in my world we'd just say it detonated and broke, end of story. Keep it from detonating, it will live, simple as that. Im sure every one that has broke was from detonation, give it any name you want.

ultimate warrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost
I dont know why there is even a term for it, im still old school, in my world we'd just say it detonated and broke, end of story. Keep it from detonating, it will live, simple as that. Im sure every one that has broke was from detonation, give it any name you want.
not just detonating, but lugging as well. putting too much load on the bottom end at low rpms - bad for bearings/bottom end.

ronv95

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost
From January to May 2015 Ford sold 50,000 mustangs. You can reasonably say 1/3 (knowing it's actually way more) of those were ecoboosts. So that's roughly 16,500 for a 5 month period, even if there was 100 threads on here about ecobooms that's still only 0.006% that went boom...people just need drive and enjoy their car

jrock

The
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Blue EB
Vehicle Showcase

I am old school also. I had a turbo 2.3 Mustang a little over 20 years ago. Installed a bigger cam, bigger values, and upgraded to a T3/T4 turbo.
Well, about after 500 miles from the build, changed the oil. Took the car on the interstate to see how fast I could go...5th gear and floored it...Well, I know this is going to be a surprise...It was a a big cloud of black smoke... Detonation :headbonk:I just blew the engine. The number one piston looked like it was melted. I should of took some pictures. Of course, I did not have my iphone then...

ypena02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
From January to May 2015 Ford sold 50,000 mustangs. You can reasonably say 1/3 (knowing it's actually way more) of those were ecoboosts. So that's roughly 16,500 for a 5 month period, even if there was 100 threads on here about ecobooms that's still only 0.006% that went boom...people just need drive and enjoy their car
Very well said! It seems like people just enjoy to panic, no wonder the government uses fear to carry out their agendas! That's a whole other subject though....:eyebulge:
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.