My ticking ecobomb finally went boom

Status
Not open for further replies.

PRG3k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Turbo
Maybe I missed it but was this car automatic or manual?
Sponsored

Edkiefer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XR4ti
Before we go an further down the rabbit hole of pointing fingers and assigning scapegoats... everybody take a deep breath... I'd like to see if we can find out the whole story here. I want to see a resolution on the oil issue, which is mighty strange.
For a second lets believe the Ford dealer.

Ok, this motor over boosted, no rod or exploding piston, but oil was seen in cylinder3 ?(I think that was mentioned).
Only thing I can think of is that piston is cracked bad and maybe the dealer tried running/cranking the motor to point oil is in either in intercooler/intake or down exhaust pipe.
Wouldn't need much to show nothing on dipstick, 1-2qts max would do it.
On dipstick, I have seen them blow out on blown motors, but don't know if that could happen with ecoboost, not familiar with it.

On another note, I am really surprised there no overboost fuel cutoff or something, in case WG or its line gets damaged, I know its closed loop but still as last ditch safety item.

therealdannye

President of Capitol S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Deadpool 5.0
Maybe I missed it but was this car automatic or manual?
Definitely manual. Going back to first in an auto would not work out well. Mine (auto) pretty much is useless in 1st after 2 seconds of driving from a dead stop, not sure how that would work out coming off the highway and dropping down that low. I never need to drop lower than third coming off highway speed. That's the part of the story I thought was weird.

Tune+

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Mustang Automatic
Tune+ ADAM what's the deal with this ????
He forced a stock turbo actuator on there and it was completely preloaded out so the car had no control over boost.

Reactions: S7N

Sponsored

Allboost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford mustang Blackonblack PP EB
I installed a tune+ wg actuator this weekend and instead of sending adam an email letting him know i needed a revised tune to be able to do the pulls i went ahead and did 3d gear pullls fresh after installing. It wasn't on purpose just a mistake that could of cost me also. What did happen was my lower ic hose blew off. I didnt see how much my boost lvl went up,i am sure he has the log for that mistake .

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!
How are they blowing? Do you have data supporting that an extraordinary number of EB engines are blowing? It's the internet, people are going to run and post when something bad happens. This forum is not a solid measure of how reliable these engines are.
This reminds me of the whole mt82 deal with the small group that cried on various mustang forums. Its a small isolated issue thats unfortunate but the vast majority are fine. People always like to blow things out of proportion, especially on forums. The minorities are alwaya the loudest, no matter what it is, even if it isnt cars. However being the first year adopter of any new engine is playing a gamble. I personally, first dont have anything to do with DI cars. Secondly i dont buy a car with a new engine in its first few production years. If you dont want to potentially be apart of first few year problems, all you have to do is wait. Its rather simple. But then again you learn a thing or two being a master tech at various dealers over 30+ years.

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Magnetic Premium PP 50AP
Why do people think the transmission has something to do with the engine blowing? Are they just hoping it will exclude them? Just because more of the engines that have blown have been with automatics, doesn't mean it has anything to do with it. There are a LOT more automatics sold by far than manuals. If we find that most of the cars were red, will we track that as a problem?

Buhbuhj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Premium
Why do people think the transmission has something to do with the engine blowing? Are they just hoping it will exclude them? Just because more of the engines that have blown have been with automatics, doesn't mean it has anything to do with it. There are a LOT more automatics sold by far than manuals. If we find that most of the cars were red, will we track that as a problem?
I think mainly people are associating what seem to be LSPI failures with having an auto. There have been a few cases of people cruising in high gear in autos with them failing. It's all speculation and no one really knows, people just want some sort of link.

Sponsored

ZenkaiRacer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT AT
Because people are leaning towards LSPI as being a key factor in these engines blowing. The auto trannies driven in D lug the engine around in the perfect LSPI zones a lot.

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
Moral of this thread,............don't cheap out on not having experts doing your installs. Do your diligent research and find a reputable installer/tuner. (Not saying the tuner is wrong here, but it sounds like the installer was.) Don't try to f*cking cheap out on modding a car or it will bite you in the ass. :eyebulge:
Good luck OP!

Apwrx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic premium PP
Because people are leaning towards LSPI as being a key factor in these engines blowing. The auto trannies driven in D lug the engine around in the perfect LSPI zones a lot.
I just drive my car with no special instructions. I use acc with no worry. Most the time I just put it in drive. Drop it in sport and floor it to pass someone.17k not a single issue.Everyones acting like this thing wasn't put through the ringer by ford before release. Iam sure they did more than floor it at low rpm in a high gear before releasing to the public.

Ron@cp-e

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
whoosh
Vehicle(s)
2015 EBM
I just drive my car with no special instructions. I use acc with no worry. Most the time I just put it in drive. Drop it in sport and floor it to pass someone.17k not a single issue.Everyones acting like this thing wasn't put through the ringer by ford before release. Iam sure they did more than floor it at low rpm in a high gear before releasing to the public.
good post man:thumbsup:

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
I find it pretty humorous how all the tuners are jumping saying "it's not ours', "our tunes are completely safe" and so on. lol :)
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.