Sponsored

Pilot Super Sport vs Wider ExtremeContact DW

Jared_J

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6
Hi everyone, I just joined the group and I've been reading useful posts from this site for months. I'm now planing for a set of summer tires and being indecisive among two common choices: Michelin PSS vs Continental DW.
I know there have been tons of comparisons between the two tires, but I noticed that DW can be 20mm wider than PSS for 18x8 wheels. My car is a v6 so I don't want to put too much weight on the wheels. For the same 18x8 rims, PSS only has the option of 235/50/18. But 255/45/18 DW tires can just fit onto 8 inch wide rims (would fit 8-9.5) with 27 inch diameter, and is of the same weight of 235 PSS.
I really like those fat curvy side walls, which I think are more likely going to happen with wider tires on narrower rims. Pls correct me if I'm wrong. That's a plus for DW choice for my personal taste. Price wise, a set of PSS tires are now just 80 dollars more than ExtremeContact DW on tirerack, making that PSS choice quite tempting...
So I'm just wondering, are 20mm wider DW tires going to offer performance close to, if not better than, the PSS tires? I've read a lot of complaints on the slow response of DW tires. Would it feel too much wobbling by fitting tires on the narrowest rims allowed, especially for those soft DW tires?
Thanks a lot in advance!
Sponsored

Need4SpeedMotors

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.n4sm.com
First Name
N4SM Team
Vehicle(s)
S550 Mustang & Shelby GT350 platform
The choice is yours but the MPSS tires are top ranked everytime the conti comes in a close second brotha.

Due to the size and width however I would choose the conti in this case.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I love the PSS but I'd take a 255 conti dw over a 235 PSS every time.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Mr981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost coupe
Hi everyone, I just joined the group and I've been reading useful posts from this site for months. I'm now planing for a set of summer tires and being indecisive among two common choices: Michelin PSS vs Continental DW.
I know there have been tons of comparisons between the two tires, but I noticed that DW can be 20mm wider than PSS for 18x8 wheels. My car is a v6 so I don't want to put too much weight on the wheels. For the same 18x8 rims, PSS only has the option of 235/50/18. But 255/45/18 DW tires can just fit onto 8 inch wide rims (would fit 8-9.5) with 27 inch diameter, and is of the same weight of 235 PSS.
I really like those fat curvy side walls, which I think are more likely going to happen with wider tires on narrower rims. Pls correct me if I'm wrong. That's a plus for DW choice for my personal taste. Price wise, a set of PSS tires are now just 80 dollars more than ExtremeContact DW on tirerack, making that PSS choice quite tempting...
So I'm just wondering, are 20mm wider DW tires going to offer performance close to, if not better than, the PSS tires? I've read a lot of complaints on the slow response of DW tires. Would it feel too much wobbling by fitting tires on the narrowest rims allowed, especially for those soft DW tires?
Thanks a lot in advance!
Let us know how this works out; I'm looking as the same decision on a EB.

Sponsored

markmurfie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang GT
I would go with the PSS just because I hate how thin the sidewalls on the contis are. This is also made worst if you are using the 18x8 rims. Makes cornering feel really loose/ sloppy even in just normal driving conditions. IMO speaking from experience with the DW extreme contacts in the 255/45/18 size. Lucky for me Amazon accepts returns on such items. I settled with the gforce sport 2 tires for price and wear rating. They are absolutely great tires and made the car feel much more like a sports car. If you are looking for just performance and sticking to the stock size i have not heard a single bad thing about PSS except maybe they wear a bit quick but that's to be expected.

markmurfie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang GT
You probably have some in stock right? Go and flex the side wall by hand of the extremes. Then go to any other tire. Report back with your findings please?

OP
OP
Jared_J

Jared_J

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6
Thank you everyone for your valuable information. Much appreciate it!
Temperature in Ohio drops to 20 again... So I can have another two weeks to research and think about it. :)

OP
OP
Jared_J

Jared_J

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6
I would go with the PSS just because I hate how thin the sidewalls on the contis are. This is also made worst if you are using the 18x8 rims. Makes cornering feel really loose/ sloppy even in just normal driving conditions. IMO speaking from experience with the DW extreme contacts in the 255/45/18 size. Lucky for me Amazon accepts returns on such items. I settled with the gforce sport 2 tires for price and wear rating. They are absolutely great tires and made the car feel much more like a sports car. If you are looking for just performance and sticking to the stock size i have not heard a single bad thing about PSS except maybe they wear a bit quick but that's to be expected.
That's exactly my concern. The combination of soft side walls on narrow rims... I currently running michelin x-ice on stock 17s as my winter setup. When temperature reaches close to 50, the sidewalls are so soft that there is a serious lag of response, especially in the rear end. It makes the car handles like a family saloon. I sort of regret that winter tire choice. Hope I got the Dunlop winter sport 4D instead. Traction on snow is very nice though.
All in one word, I would prefer the nimble handling and don't want to make the same bad choice again for summer tires...

Sponsored

CrazedAntelope

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Vehicle(s)
Ecoboost Premium PP
From my readings on TireRack and various forums, I've gathered that conti DW have plenty of ultimate grip but lack in steering response and precision. I imagine bulging your sidewalls by strapping a 255 on an 8" wide wheel will further exacerbate the situation.

You'd probably have a bit more ultimate grip than the 235 MPSS, but your car will feel a little sloppier as others have mentioned.

OP
OP
Jared_J

Jared_J

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6
Put on my new tires and rims today! Look way better than I had expected!
After comparing some Euro cars with similar power, I decided 235mm MPSS tires are of enough grip for my V6. I don't want to put too much weight on the feet, and my budget don't allow me to go for those super light wide rims.
Rims I chose are 18x8 40mm offset Axis Model 5, which are some low pressure cast ones. 21.6lbs each rim only, 47.8lbs with tires mounted. My 17 stock rims with X-ice winter tires are 48.8lbs.
Can't say much about the handling since tires have not been broken in yet. But they do feel crisp. And those rims look a lot larger than 18s really are! For $1700 altogether, I can't be more happy with those wheels!
Below are the pictures. My phone is crappy... Got to put priorities right!

Last edited: