Sponsored

Windscreen wipers

Drcooper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Today my windscreen wipers decided that they no longer wanted to work except on high speed and the washers went out at the same time. It does appear to be intermittent though as after about an hour's driving they started to work again on the other speeds as did the washers. After being parked up for half an hour though they were gone again. Fuse and relay checked out ok. Anyone else had this and or know what else I can look at?
Sponsored

OP
OP

Drcooper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
To close this out now for future reference.

I ended up removing the wiper motor and taking it apart to find that I had a fair amount of water inside the electronics box attached to the motor. After shaking out as much as I could and using a hair dryer (don’t tell the Mrs!) to get rid of the rest, I put it all back together and everything works again as it should.

Not sure how long it will last as I don’t know how the water got in and I’m sure it will therefore find its way in again so looks like the long term fix is a new motor.

Anyway pretty easy job, 1 spanner rating. Hope it helps someone out in the future.

OP
OP

Drcooper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Further investigation showed that the drain holes under the cowl, one in the middle and one in the corner under the driver's side wiper spindle were completely blocked and whilst there was no water in there when I was removing the motor I imagine it got overwhelmed during recent storm Isha hence the motor was probably submerged for a while. Get those drain holes cleared!

raptor17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Manual 2017
good job getting this fixed as well as a heads up for the rest of us. Those (any) drain holes (in any vehicle to be fair) really do need cleaning out as part of regular maintenance.
Sponsored