Sponsored

Why more GT500's for sale than 350’s or Mach 1’s?

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2022 F150 PowerBoost
Vehicle Showcase
You mean like happy ending?
Oh man this could get off track pretty quickly, lol.

But seriously, I do wish I had the skills to handle body work. It’s always been something I shy away from.

CVN 80

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
OK so I love all Mustangs. And although I'm not looking to replace what I have, it's interesting to get on Autotrader to see what's being sold and for how much.

Pretty consistently there are a similar number of GT350's and Mach 1's for sale within 100 miles of Pittsburgh, but always about twice as many GT500's.

Why the heck are so many people selling them??? I don't get it. Any ideas from owners? Is it just a regional thing? Makes no sense to me.
What's the bid-ask spread on GT500s vs Mach 1s and GT350s?

Maybe GT500s actually get the owners the price they ask for, while "nobody wants to pay what it's worth and I'm not takin' a loss" on Mach 1s & 350s.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT

But seriously, I do wish I had the skills to handle body work. It’s always been something I shy away from.
Same here. It’s an art form for sure. Anything body related I take to a guy locally that’s been doing it for a long time. His specialty is classic muscle cars but he does fantastic work on anything he touches.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
As of last month, there were only 12 GT350 5.2L Voodoo engines in inventory.
I inquired today regarding replacement engine availability from Ford.

KR3Z-6006-B GT350 engine
44 on backorder

NR3Z-6006-B GT500 engine
2 on backorder

So the issue hasn't gotten any better with the GT350. Nor any worse for the GT500.

Sponsored

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
That’s really cool. I spend most of my free time in the summers either in southern colorado, or moab. We run around in a rzr pro r. It’s modded but nothing like what you built. Very cool. Here’s how ours rolls down the road. I was very fortunate. I picked up doing paint and body when I was about 19. It came naturally for me. Started with sport bikes and quickly moved in to cars. I’m in construction now and have been for quite a while. That said there’s not much more satisfying for me then seeing a finished project(car). There’s some truly amazing craftsman in this country, and the level of finish on so many vehicles are true works of art.
IMG_3911.jpeg

You got me beat if you can do bodywork well. I built my own rock crawler from the ground up w/unimog axles (built my own cage, suspension, steering links, traction bar, etc) and the entire trailer it's sitting on. But the bodywork I have done was WAY harder, to do right (which I don't, I'm a hack at best). :)

20231010_110826.jpg

Last edited:

dmbcpa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Darren
Vehicle(s)
GT350

KR3Z-6006-B GT350 engine
44 on backorder

NR3Z-6006-B GT500 engine
2 on backorder

So the issue hasn't gotten any better with the GT350. Nor any worse for the GT500.
Wow. No bueno!

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
I am adding the 24 Supra to the garage next to the GT500 CFTP this week! The Vettes have never drawn me in but that sounds like a well rounded garage.
Nice! The Supra is a nice change in pace from my Camaro ZL1. Lighter weight (3300 lbs vs. 3900 lbs), short wheelbase, but a bit touchier on the controls (steering and brakes). The inputs aren't as smooth as they are in the ZL1. The Supra has some strong turn in, though. It's pretty quick in lower gears where it has a gearing advantage at low speeds, before the ZL1 has a chance to stretch its legs (which is a bit more traction limited below 60 mph than the Supra).

I'd imagine it will zip around at lower speeds pretty well for you given the shorter gears of the Supra compared to the longer gears in the GT500. Plus the B58 inline 6 can make significantly more power pretty easily (though mine is stock).

Overall, a really fun sports car.

OX1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
86 Capri 5.0 Turbo, 17 Fusion Sport, 21 GT500 CFTP
Same here. It’s an art form for sure. Anything body related I take to a guy locally that’s been doing it for a long time. His specialty is classic muscle cars but he does fantastic work on anything he touches.
Guys that can proficiently use an English Wheel, dumbfound me.

OX1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
86 Capri 5.0 Turbo, 17 Fusion Sport, 21 GT500 CFTP
That’s really cool. I spend most of my free time in the summers either in southern colorado, or moab. We run around in a rzr pro r. It’s modded but nothing like what you built. Very cool. Here’s how ours rolls down the road. I was very fortunate. I picked up doing paint and body when I was about 19. It came naturally for me. Started with sport bikes and quickly moved in to cars. I’m in construction now and have been for quite a while. That said there’s not much more satisfying for me then seeing a finished project(car). There’s some truly amazing craftsman in this country, and the level of finish on so many vehicles are true works of art.
IMG_3911.jpeg
Agree. You see guys building entire engine compartments/firewalls with complex curves, and as mentioned, I still don't see how an English Wheel actually works.

That's awesome on the rzr :sunglasses:, but I now need to see how it gets up there.

Sponsored

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels

I've done just enough of it to know that it's seriously time-consuming to do well, and requires a ton of patience and know-how.

UpACurb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R 2019 Roush F150 20 Explorer

KR3Z-6006-B GT350 engine
44 on backorder

NR3Z-6006-B GT500 engine
2 on backorder

I work with supply chain - backorder typically means unplanned demand.....
I would be more interested in how many were shipped

As the production line is still going for the predator- it could also mean engines are more readily available and thus less on backorder

Not saying the VooDoo is more reliable then the Predator- but that utilizing back order metrics...there is fuzziness in those numbers from an analytics point of view

btown93

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Knight Industries 2000
I work with supply chain - backorder typically means unplanned demand.....
I would be more interested in how many were shipped

As the production line is still going for the predator- it could also mean engines are more readily available and thus less on backorder

Not saying the VooDoo is more reliable then the Predator- but that utilizing back order metrics...there is fuzziness in those numbers from an analytics point of view
sounds like the people that "plan" the demand should check their analytics process, especially since the voodoos have been on backorder for months.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
I was going to say something similar.

In addition, across the forum spectrum, including Facebook (gack!) if you will, it is clear that Voodoo engines are failing in fairly significant numbers. Predator engines are not.
Sponsored