OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Wildtrak Seat Trim Replacement

Some time ago, the drivers side seat base trim valance on the Wildtrak broke. From memory, the XLT that this car replaced also did the same, so I’m pretty sure this is a common failure part.

IMG-0187.jpg

IMG-0183.jpg

From what I can tell, the way the trim is shaped and attached to the seat has it subjected to substantial pressure as the driver enters and exits the vehicle. Repeated cycles of compression and release sees the plastic fatiguing over time, which then leads to it cracking.

Could I have made a warranty claim on this failure? Perhaps, but unlikely. Apart from the fact that it's just outside of warranty now, Ford would likely claim it as wear and tear, which is fair enough. As such, I decided to order the part from Bayford and do the job myself.

There are a few different versions of this part, all dependent on trim and model spec, and of course driver or passenger orientation. For example, the same part in my Ranger would not have cut-outs for power seat adjustment but would have a mechanical backrest lever. There are also two versions for the 8-way powered Wildtrak, with or without seat heating. This particular Wildtrak is not equipped with seat heaters. At this point, I would list the part number and provide the link, but more on that in later.

First, I removed the two electric seat adjustment levers with my fancy skin wedge tool. There is also a singular Phillips head screw on the rear of the seat. The trim is then "massaged" from the locator tabs.

IMG-0190.jpg

Next, remove the two screws holding the switch module to the trim, you then need to release it from the tabs.

IMG-0193.jpg

IMG-0194.jpg

For the new trim, refit the switch module, then wrangle the trim into place to align and then snap into the three locator tabs, replace the rear screw. The adjuster levers then snap back into place. But........................

IMG-0197.jpg

Despite being a professional online shopper, for some reason I bought the wrong part. I think the new one is for an XLT and not the Wildtrak with its black rather than grey plastics. I've tried searching the part number for the old piece but I can only find the grey version.

Does it matter? To me it does, to my father, not at all. I might try and track down the correct part, but I guess its not critical concern. I'm just chuffed I managed to do this myself.
Well, it got the better of me!

IMG-0272.jpg

IMG-0274.jpg

I had the local Ford dealer find the correct part, which was ordered late yesterday and was at the parts department by 9am this morning. Can't beat that for turnaround, not to mention not paying for shipping.
Sponsored

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
Enjoyed your reply very much my Down Under friend, and I couldn't be happier for you.

In many ways, this is the perfect fit for me.
That was my very first thought. :=)

My biggest challenge is moderating my desire to write everything I know rather than being direct and to the point.
<grinning>

It's funny, if you were talking to me in person, I would much rather listen rather than talk. But put a keyboard in front of me, and I can easily type for hours........................ I suspect you knew that already.
Birds of a feather, are we, Yoda. <chuckling>

A number of those articles on the website are mine, just without my name on them.
After only reading a few words in the DS post, my brain told me who the author was and now that I know, I'll head back over there to check out the others. <smile>

So, yes I'm thrilled to be playing a very small part in product reviews and testing, and learning about new products and brands that may be on the horizon. I'm also flattered that he can trust me with that information.
Your suspicion was right on the money, D <BSEG> and again, I couldn 't be happier for you. But the real truth here is, your new relationship with DS is a proverbial "Win-Win" because..Detail Shed gets expert content and, you get to do the things you love doing. Karma doesn't GET any better than that.

markayash

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marc
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang
Enjoyed your reply very much my Down Under friend, and I couldn't be happier for you.

That was my very first thought. :=)

<grinning>

Birds of a feather, are we, Yoda. <chuckling>

After only reading a few words in the DS post, my brain told me who the author was and now that I know, I'll head back over there to check out the others. <smile>

Your suspicion was right on the money, D <BSEG> and again, I couldn 't be happier for you. But the real truth here is, your new relationship with DS is a proverbial "Win-Win" because..Detail Shed gets expert content and, you get to do the things you love doing. Karma doesn't GET any better than that.
Its funny I always thought he seemed to write a lot of good details and great info :)

I am too ADD for writing :)

OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
I feel so much better now.....................

Black -

IMG-0277.jpg

River Rock Silver, not the contrast to the black switch levers -

IMG-0197.jpg

And what I would have preferred to include in the original post, the part number. If you have a PX MK III Ranger Wildtrak WITH 8-way powered seat but WITHOUT seat heating, you want the following part in black and NOT River Rock silver -

EB3Z 17A861 FH

IMG-0274.jpg

You would think that having done this before, removing the wrong part and putting the correct one on would have been easy. NO! :frown:

The incorrect part put up a fight and I broke one of the rear locator tabs, which is no matter because I have no use for it anyway. The new part went on pretty good but.....................then I realized I forgot to reattach the two screws that secure the adjustment module to the trim. Rookie!! :facepalm:

So, off the trim comes, screws reattached and then the fight started. :curse: I got the thing on again, but something didn't look right, and I somehow unhooked the front of base cushion from the seat frame. It was then I realized I hadn't slotted the front of the trim to the frame properly, so off it came again. I got everything lined up and clicked into place, I then had to fight that final screw to get it properly aligned.

What was going to be a 10-minute job turned into 45 minutes. :facepalm: A lot of that was moving the seat base and backrest up/down/backwards/forwards. It's at this point I have to wonder why powered seat bases are seen as a luxury, every movement takes far longer than a manual adjustment lever.

In any case, I don't mind, I think this is what they call a "learning experience".

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
You would think that having done this before, removing the wrong part and putting the correct one on would have been easy. NO!
..then I realized I forgot to reattach the two screws that secure the adjustment module to the trim. Rookie!!
Boy did I get a grin out of those comments, D. You could have been describing nearly all of MY "projects!" MOF, I bet I call myself a "moron" or an "idiot" probably a half dozen times every day! <smile> Glad you wrestled that piece of vinyl into submission. <wink>
Sponsored