OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
My foam cannon retrofit kits arrived today. After watching the videos posted in this thread, my anticipation for the new foam cannon had been somewhat dampened. As such, I wanted to see, feel and hold the new units before making comment.

Now, with three fully functioning foam cannons, I certainly didn't need to buy another. Thankfully, MTM have thought about this and provide a retrofit kit consisting of the new bottle and adaptor plate. Currently, I can't see this kit offered in the US, but it should follow soon.

MTM PF22.2 Wide Mouth Foam Cannon Bottle NEW 2024 (detailingshed.com.au)

IMG-1301.jpg

The black plastic adaptor is screwed onto the existing foam cannon body, nipping it up using firm pressure. I have seen the video where an additional rubber o-ring was fitted here to provide added threads for a tighter fit, but I really don't see the need. The adaptor is slotted to accept the tabs molded into the new bottle, which is then secured with an audible click.

22.6.jpg

22.7.jpg

IMG-1302.jpg

IMG-1306.jpg

The adaptor also has a rubber o-ring to provide a leak proof seal.

IMG-1309.jpg

The great thing about this new adaptor is the ability to convert older foam cannons, so now each of my units have matching wide mouth bottles.

IMG-1312.jpg

IMG-1315.jpg

IMG-1322.jpg

IMG-1320.jpg

Now, I have seen video's of the new setup where the user was complaining about the bayonet fitting, in particular unscrewing the foam cannon body from the adaptor by accident instead of unlocking the bottle. All I can say to that is they are doing it wrong. If you hold the black plastic adaptor and not the foam cannon body when turning, the bottle is easily attached and removed.

IMG-1359.jpg

From what I can see, if you order the complete foam cannon, MTM now include a weighted pickup tube. This addition helps maintain foaming when the bottle is low on solution and used at certain angles. However, this is not sent with the retrofit kits. I actually had a spare Kwazar weighted filter on hand and attached it to the existing tube, which worked very well. For US customers, I see MTM Veloci sell a few different weighted filters as spare parts.

Foam Cannon Parts - MTM Hydro (mtmhydroparts.com)

IMG-1363.jpg

Filling the revised foam cannon is now a breeze!

IMG-1338.jpg

IMG-1345.jpg

Rinsing the bottle out at the end was considerably easier, with far less reactivation and the ability to properly remove all of the remaining soap residue owing to the ability to dump the contents quickly.

Overall, I'm more impressed with the updated FP22.2 foam cannon that I had expected! After seeing a lot of negative media and comments on the new unit, my anticipation had been somewhat dampened. But I can also see why MTM went the route they chose with the updates, the actual foam cannon itself performed brilliantly, so a complete redesign was not needed. What they have delivered is an improvement on the original, helping it to function better. I also like that the retrofit kit is relatively cheap to update a current unit.
Sponsored

Jxp1962

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT
Much better design, i always lose half the soap while filling the old style small mouthed bottleā€¦.

and really i like the foam cannon wall mount bracket from max shine in your photo.

Great idea, i currently have mine (2) in their original boxes, tossed on a shelf. That wall mount 42$ ouch, but is a great ideaā€¦

DFB, you always cost me some money! Lol. šŸ˜‚

But i always learn something or find a helpful item from every one of your threads.

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
i always lose half the soap while filling the old style small mouthed bottleā€¦.
For anyone who doesn't want to spring for the adapter kit but are frustrated with filling through the small mouth, I've been using one of these for a lot of years, works great.

I see MTM Veloci sell a few different weighted filters as spare parts.
Like you, I too had reservations about the adapter design after seeing the negative reports about the connection and was most happy to read your review, thanks amigo.

Thanks also for the Veloci link, I ordered a couple of the SS weighted filters.

..and really i like the foam cannon wall mount bracket from max shine in your photo.
I'm with you on that, John and, I found that you can purchase one. May just have to pick one up for my two cannons.

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
Would be nice if they offered the weighted pickup as an accessory as that is the final detractor to their design. Once I used the Boss cannon it became my go-to due specifically to the wide mouth and weighted pickup.

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
Would be nice if they offered the weighted pickup as an accessory
Yep, it sure would, Brian. I went with D's suggestion and picked up two of these.

mtm-weighted-pickup.png

And, as luck would have it, my wide mouth bottle showed up yesterday. (I should have ordered two of the buggers though..brain fart.) Reason is, I like to get everything ready before I start and keep wheel cleaning solution in one and foam soap in the other.

mtm-adapter.jpg

Sponsored

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
Morning, gents.

Took delivery of my mtmhydroparts order yesterday, thanks again, D, they are very high quality and HEAVY. <smile>

foam-cannon-pickup-filter.jpg

BUT, when I attempted to insert the barbed fitting into the stock tubing, the fitting was too large. Tried warming up the vinyl but no success.

I'm thinking that if I grind off the barbs, it will go in and, based on the two diameters, it looks like it would still be large enough to hold the filter securely. But doing that would make the filter unusable for the designed tubing size.

Before I get out the Dremel though, I thought I'd see what the "great minds" here had to say. <chuckling> What I am most curious about is why the barb is too large for the MTM factory tubing that came with the cannon?

BTW, I tried to remove the tubing from the cannon to get a better grip on it but, without using full tilt boogey pulling force, the damn thing would NOT come off. I can see that it looks like just another barbed end at the top but I didn't push it.

Have any of you been successful at pulling the tubing off? I'm guessing that it's chemical corrosion and/or mineral deposits and I probably should have been pulling it off to clean the upper orifice long ago.

OP
OP
DFB5.0

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Morning, gents.

Took delivery of my mtmhydroparts order yesterday, thanks again, D, they are very high quality and HEAVY. <smile>

foam-cannon-pickup-filter.jpg

BUT, when I attempted to insert the barbed fitting into the stock tubing, the fitting was too large. Tried warming up the vinyl but no success.

I'm thinking that if I grind off the barbs, it will go in and, based on the two diameters, it looks like it would still be large enough to hold the filter securely. But doing that would make the filter unusable for the designed tubing size.

Before I get out the Dremel though, I thought I'd see what the "great minds" here had to say. <chuckling> What I am most curious about is why the barb is too large for the MTM factory tubing that came with the cannon?

BTW, I tried to remove the tubing from the cannon to get a better grip on it but, without using full tilt boogey pulling force, the damn thing would NOT come off. I can see that it looks like just another barbed end at the top but I didn't push it.

Have any of you been successful at pulling the tubing off? I'm guessing that it's chemical corrosion and/or mineral deposits and I probably should have been pulling it off to clean the upper orifice long ago.
Welcome to my world of buying and testing, sometimes you win, sometimes you don't.

The tube should remove from the foam cannon body, I had them off mine last week. If the tube has hardened over time, then it could need some heat budge it.

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
Happy Easter to all and this is gonna be a long one (as usual,) my apologies. <smile>

Update: Tried to get the damn weighted filter barb into the tubing for the third time this morning. Finally, I managed to force it in although it only went about a third of the way up the barb.

Grabbed the micrometer and measured the barb's OD which is just shy of 5/16" while the ID of the tubing is 1/4". Can't go up to 5/16" though as then the other end will be too big.

No matter, the barb is in their very tightly but haven't had a chance to test it yet although I did wash Sarah yesterday with the wide mouth bottle which I like more better over the original. That hoopla over the lid being too tight must have come from a winer because mine goes on and off easily, I just hold the cannon as a lever. However, because I was pressed for time, I didn't attempt to get the filter on the tubing before the wash although I'm sure the filter will function and stay on the tube.

I was at full throttle because a friend had texted me earlier in the week about an upcoming show this weekend and stupidly, I misread the damn message while outside in the bright sun and thought the show was Sunday. Of course my Neanderthal brain didn't remember the holiday.

Then Friday I get another text from him suggesting that we meet at a car wash on the way and then roll into the show in formation tomorrow. WHAT? TOMORROW? I had already planned to wash the car on Saturday for the show on Sunday..HUGE DUH. Didn't find this out until Friday evening.

I wasn't going to take her as dirty as she was so I thought about skipping the show but then I felt bad for wimping out on my buddy. Decided to wash her EARLY and went out at 0630 Saturday morning, turned on the two big LED fixtures I have on the second story soffit since it was still essentially dark and, got after it.

My obsessiveness would never let me do a rinseless (I know, I know,) so she got the Full Monte including tire dressing. :-) Fed my shadow, Buddy, cleaned up, and made it to the car wash with two minutes to spare. <grin> My buddy texted saying he'd be there in 10 so I grabbed some photos of my girl while I waited. Not the most appealing background though.

sarah-nueces-brewing-car-show_240330_01.jpg

The show was a lot of fun and we learned that it's a semi-annual thing. Probably no more than a hundred vehicles (it's a small burg,) but unlike the regular show we attend where the majority are modern vehicles, this one was predominantly classics.

Lots of folks and tight parking prevented me from getting photos of many but these two stood out to me.

coyote-cobra.jpg

1969-charger.jpg

The Cobra kit is almost beyond words with the quality of craftsmanship. As it turned out, the owner was also a bud of the guy who I came with. Did a lot of jaw jacking with him about this car, and the five or six other cars he has including a '20 TO CFTP and at least one supercar, a Ferrari I think. He just got this car a week ago from a "museum dealer" in Missouri. I didn't ask what he paid for it but..

It's a Coyote kit and I was so busy yacking that I forgot to get a photo of the engine..it's a work of art. He ran it at Texas Mile last week and hit 214.

However, having been in the MOPAR camp as a kid, the Charger really impressed me and boy is it clean.

OK, back to more detailing info..

I tried Reset and of course you were correct, D (@DFB5.0 ), I love it for two reasons. First, the foam is thicker, slipperier, and creamier although I did bump up the ratio from the recommended 40ml/20l to 60ml/5gal.

The other reason is, Reset doesn't leave those tiny little foam bubbles on the car when you're rinsing that require extra passes with the PW to get it off like CG's Snow Foam does. THAT impressed me the most and Reset will save me a good bit of time on rinses.

Super thick and creamy and thanks for bringing me around, D. <grin>

sarah-wash_240330_02.jpg

sarah-wash_240330_01.jpg

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
Mornin' everyone and I hope y'all had a wonderful Easter. I didn't get much done yesterday, way too windy (35mph) but, I hope I solved the pickup tube issue with the new, weighted filter.

The problem is..for whatever reason, MTM made the barbed fitting on the filter a size larger than the fitting on the canon and I don't know what they were thinking.

Hit the Depot and while sitting on the floor testing the various tubing sizes against the filter barb and the cannon connection, I found that I could slide a short piece of 5/16" OD/3/16" Polyethylene (PE) inside the vinyl "straw" (3/8" OD/1/4" ID) so I grabbed a roll of each.

Came home, cut the vinyl and PP pieces, attached the filters, then used a heat gun to warm up the PP end for the canon connection. When it was soft, I pressed each of them on to the canon fitting and let it cool

This connection will be the most critical in terms of possible failure because the connection at the canon can still be turned so it's not a rock solid grip. However, since there's vacuum on the straw during foaming, I'm thinking that will assist in holding the straw on the connector and I HOPE it doesn't ALSO pull in air around the tubing connection but I didn't have time to test it yesterday.

I probably could have ground off the barb on the filters which would allow the use of a single size straw but I didn't want to damage the filters. I'll post a message after I test the rigs. Meanwhile, some photos.

The filter..

mtm-filter-mod_06.jpg

The canon connection

mtm-filter-mod_04.jpg

The tubing

mtm-filter-mod_01.jpg

mtm-filter-mod_02.jpg

All the parts

mtm-filter-mod_05.jpg

Finished

mtm-filter-mod_03.jpg

Sponsored

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT Premium PP1, 10 Auto Grabber Blue
I tried Reset and of course you were correct, D (@DFB5.0 ), I love it for two reasons. First, the foam is thicker, slipperier, and creamier although I did bump up the ratio from the recommended 40ml/20l to 60ml/5gal.

The other reason is, Reset doesn't leave those tiny little foam bubbles on the car when you're rinsing that require extra passes with the PW to get it off like CG's Snow Foam does. THAT impressed me the most and Reset will save me a good bit of time on rinses.

Super thick and creamy and thanks for bringing me around, D. <grin>

sarah-wash_240330_02.jpg

sarah-wash_240330_01.jpg
I totally agree about Reset. The first time I tried it I absolutely fell in love. It smells amazing, cleaning ability is rock solid, slickness is off the charts, and it rinses very easily with none of those pesky "bubbles". I have a few soaps that I like but it requires a ssecond pass with the pressure washer. Of course I usually rinse once with straight water, and then a second with DI water anyway so what am I complaining about LOL :) Reset has a permanent home in my cabinet as well as a few others :)

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
Of course I usually rinse once with straight water, and then a second with DI water anyway so what am I complaining about LOL :)
I do the same thing, Alex, and yes, it's a bit humorous but I truly hated those tiny damn BUBBLES! <grinning>

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
I saw today MTM is selling the bottle and cap with the weighted ball as a kit, but the $15 shipping fee on a $17 kit doesnā€™t make me need it that bad šŸ¤£

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
Broke down and ordered a new PF22 kit as I gave my old SunJoe setup and cannon to my parents. I washed their car for them while they were in town to celebrate my daughterā€™s birthday. My mom was impressed with my detailing knowledge and application so I wrote a basic how to for washing and adding some protection to their 2024 Hyundai Palisade.

I have definitely noticed my Griots Boss cannon goes through soap much quicker than my old PF22 did so Iā€™ll do a side by side testing of time-to-empty for both.
Sponsored