Sponsored

Stereo/speakers advice needed 2016 gt base model.

Todd93

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT
Hi, everyone! I am a new Mustang owner. I actually found a great deal on a 2016 gt 6 speed, with 14k miles! It is the base model, which is fine with me. It's a very hot car, and I look forward to tinkering with it. I'm not really going to go nuts with the performance stuff, maybe a few little things here and there, nothing major...

One thing I've noticed, and I know there's a lot of threads on the substandard sound quality of the sound system... I've been lurking around on crutchfield some. I'm not sure I need to upgrade the head unit, I was thinking about a speaker upgrade, and I wouldn't be opposed to even adding subs... I do enjoy some bass heavy music, when I say that, I don't mean rap, I mean more along the lines of Waylon Jennings.

I'm not sure a simple speaker upgrade without the head unit would really be beneficial. The problem I have with changing the head unit is that I really don't want to lose the steering wheel controls. I've seen some threads on it, one being: https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/aftermarket-radio-and-steering-wheel-controls.132140/ . Has anyone had success with this? I really don't like some of the things I've heard about the touch screen climate controls, I'd be just fine keeping the manual climate controls. But I also don't want to lose my phone connectivity.

I hope I haven't been too confusing, I'm just trying to get an idea of what I can do.

Thanks!

Todd
Sponsored

Bassackwards

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT/CS convertible
You can use your head unit and add an amp and better speakers.

I did this on my f150 and added a 45x4 amp with alpine speakers and a 500x1 driving a set of Jbl subs. It looks completely stock

OP
OP
Todd93

Todd93

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT
You can use your head unit and add an amp and better speakers.

I did this on my f150 and added a 45x4 amp with alpine speakers and a 500x1 driving a set of Jbl subs. It looks completely stock
That's sort of what I was thinking, better speakers, amp and a couple of subs in the trunk...

Hostil

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I added a Procharger. Rarely turn the radio on.

Sponsored

Bassackwards

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT/CS convertible
That's sort of what I was thinking, better speakers, amp and a couple of subs in the trunk...

You don't even need 2 subs. A good 12" mounted on the side is more than enough for the average person. My convertible has a Punch P2 12" mounted in the cubby on the side with 500W driving it. You can't tolerate full volume for very long.

OP
OP
Todd93

Todd93

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT
One question I do have is amp location. I've seen some put it in the spare tire compartment, but mine is full of a spare tire... I'll definitely do some research before I get too far.
Sponsored