Possible VMP and Whipple Merger

rolfe.oliver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Oliver
Vehicle(s)
1967 Mustang GT350 Tribute, 1971 Mustang Mach 1
Hearing rumors circulating that VMP may be announcing a partnership where they will begin seller Whipple superchargers.

Maybe their partnership with Magnuson proved to them that developing in-house blowers isn't where the money is. Perhaps we will see a private label Whipple or VMP will become more a parts house.
Sponsored

robvas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I wonder what benefits a setup like that would have, to both VMP and Whipple?

Possibly they could sell a VMP branded Whipple supercharger package for the S650 that's already CARB tested etc? Also gets them around the tuning block?

OP
OP
rolfe.oliver

rolfe.oliver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Oliver
Vehicle(s)
1967 Mustang GT350 Tribute, 1971 Mustang Mach 1
I wonder what benefits a setup like that would have, to both VMP and Whipple?

Possibly they could sell a VMP branded Whipple supercharger package for the S650 that's already CARB tested etc? Also gets them around the tuning block?
Ever since VMP was late to the Gen 3 market, I think they realized that partnering with manufacturers and simply branding their products as their own is the key. They are focusing on ancillary products (TBs, ice tanks, other things, etc.) rather than superchargers. Once they let go of the 2.3 cast (Gen 2R) and only had the 2.65 (Gen3 and Gen3R), they really had nothing else. I also think their huge fine from the EPA likely made them tuck their tail.

Whipple is very cozy with Ford and obviously have keys to the castle. Partnering with them would give VMP partial-access and also put them on the "Good side" of aftermarket.

Benefits for Whipple? Not exactly sure, other than perhaps heightened visibility and decreased competition. Personally, I am a fan of the TVS design, so losing out on VMP would be a pain. I am not convinced a potential partnership would end the Magnuson partnership, but anything is possible.
Sponsored