Installing back stock springs.

Jaay_d5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang Gt
My mustang is on lowering spring and want to put it back to stock i was wondering will i need anyother work done going back to stock springs since I’m switchingback to stock
Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
You should at least get the resulting alignment checked. Adjustment may or may not be necessary.

You may or may not have some front wheel camber adjustability added at the time the lowering springs were added, which you may or may not want to keep. Camber plates I'd keep, aftermarket camber bolts, not.

Norm

1972_todd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16' Fusion Titanium, 20' Mustang GT Premium
My mustang is on lowering spring and want to put it back to stock i was wondering will i need anyother work done going back to stock springs since I’m switchingback to stock
Do you mind sharing why you're going back? I've been going back and forth thinking about lowering. Only to close the gap some.

blind*guardian

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
You should at least get the resulting alignment checked. Adjustment may or may not be necessary.

You may or may not have some front wheel camber adjustability added at the time the lowering springs were added, which you may or may not want to keep. Camber plates I'd keep, aftermarket camber bolts, not.

Norm
Norm, what’s the issue with camber bolts, if any?

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Norm, what’s the issue with camber bolts, if any?
It's specifically about aftermarket "camber bolts", which specifically call for a much lower installation torque than Ford's OE strut to knuckle fasteners. Ford has been known to offer their own camber bolts, which were rated to the full torque of the OE bolts.

Lower installation torque means less clamping force, and bolted joints are held in position by friction developed from the clamping force. Not by direct shear in the bolts themselves like you might think. Direct shear only keeps a joint that slipped a little from slipping past bolt to hole clearance limits.

Norm

blind*guardian

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
It's specifically about aftermarket "camber bolts", which specifically call for a much lower installation torque than Ford's OE strut to knuckle fasteners. Ford has been known to offer their own camber bolts, which were rated to the full torque of the OE bolts.

Lower installation torque means less clamping force, and bolted joints are held in position by friction developed from the clamping force. Not by direct shear in the bolts themselves like you might think. Direct shear only keeps a joint that slipped a little from slipping past bolt to hole clearance limits.

Norm
Thanks Norm. That makes sense.
Sponsored