Let's talk lug nuts for a moment

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
Here is the difference between the size of the actual contact patch area (where the nut will tighten the wheel) from OEM to aftermarket open ended (in this case, the ones sold by LMR). Question is, would they be OK, or should we chase a nut with similar seat size:

20200305_164050 (2).jpg

And here is another aftermarket, this time titanium lug nuts (sold by dsxtuning.com) ; this looks better, no?

Annotation 2020-03-24 121830.jpg

Anyone has any other options ? These 2 are very light , about 22-25 grams each. You are talking 130 grams for a corner, nothing.
The actual weight of the LMR ones up the top is slightly more than titanium ones, but negligible difference.
Sponsored

rick shea

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R KR039, Oxford White, Kona matt stripe
Here is the difference between the size of the actual contact patch area (where the nut will tighten the wheel) from OEM to aftermarket open ended (in this case, the ones sold by LMR). Question is, would they be OK, or should we chase a nut with similar seat size:

20200305_164050 (2).jpg

And here is another aftermarket, this time titanium lug nuts (sold by dsxtuning.com) ; this looks better, no?

Annotation 2020-03-24 121830.jpg

Anyone has any other options ? These 2 are very light , about 22-25 grams each. You are talking 130 grams for a corner, nothing.
The actual weight of the LMR ones up the top is slightly more than titanium ones, but negligible difference.

OP Mustang Racings has nice open ended lugs. I have them on my 19 GT350R

Lurker_350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 - Tech
Ford performance has open ended lug nuts for sale ($14 per wheel, can be had cheaper at other sources). It is hard to see the conical seat, but I think I found a picture that shows them:

https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-1104-B

Note that these hubs aren't the focus of the link - I am trying to just show the lug nut conical face. Here is a link to just the lug nuts (poor picture):

https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-1012-N

I think these would provide the seat area you are looking for, but might not be the correct color.

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack

Why do you want different lug nuts in the first place and what are you planning to do with the car when you have the replacement nuts installed? For instance, if you need to use "tuner lug nuts" because you've got new rims that have smaller diameter holes in them, then you'll never get a large contact patch because the nut has to be wider to accommodate it.

Sponsored

OP
OP
torque124

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
Why do you want different lug nuts in the first place and what are you planning to do with the car when you have the replacement nuts installed? For instance, if you need to use "tuner lug nuts" because you've got new rims that have smaller diameter holes in them, then you'll never get a large contact patch because the nut has to be wider to accommodate it.
I need open ended nuts... I am not saying I am, but say; potentially, probably, maybe I decide to install different rims which have a thinner hub than the carbon fiber rims. :)

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I need open ended nuts... I am not saying I am, but say; potentially, probably, maybe I decide to install different rims which have a thinner hub than the carbon fiber rims. :)
Ah... got it. So if it's about looking good then @50 Deep has a solution. If it's about keeping the wheels attached, I'm using a set of OEM Chevrolet lug nuts that work great and have done track duty many times in the last two years. I've got a new set ready to go this year, if there's a track season, that is.

50 Deep

Signature Wheel Ford Rep
Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.signaturewheel.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Lots of options out there for the car, but none better than what I developed for our cars. Everything is a benefit from the proper depth front to rear, reduced weight, higher engagement point for your socket, smaller 19mm head, and exquisite design. You can find more on them at the link below, however we need to be sure you are using the right wheel for the setup.

If you want to talk more about it just let me know.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/gt350r-aftermerket-wheel-lug-nut-solution.99440/
964F1D30-FFF8-40BB-82FB-D2187E521775.jpeg

tbr2001

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
"What are these made of !?!" - last tire guy that swapped wheels for me. 50 Deep's sockets are a very nice product and if you have his wheels, fit perfectly.

I am curious, however, on the question around contact area.

OP
OP
torque124

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
Ok, some weights info. Sorry, my kitchen scale is in grams, but I did some translations using google.

Original GT350(R) wheel nut - 70g. Original GT350R lock anti-theft nut (one per wheel) - 75g.
LMR open ended lug nuts (shown in first pic) - 31.25g
Titanium lug nuts (shown in first post, made by dsxtuning) - 22.7g

So, what is the weight saving.

Original Lug nuts as installed on CF rims, will weigh 350g per wheel or 0.77 lbs / corner
Using the LMR open ended lug nuts ( theoretically, I don't think I will, not trusting the small contact patch area) bring it to 156g per wheel, which means a 194g of weight saving. i.e. 0.42 lbs / corner
Using the Titanium lug nuts (which look nice, higher contact patch, twelve point too) means 115g per wheel, hence a saving of 235g or 0.51 lbs / corner

To me, the titanium lug nuts, at 6 times the price of the LMR ones, are not worth the saving only, but its worth for the peace of mind (see that contact patch again)... .

More info to come as I measure the contact patch on the oem vs aftermarket, stay tuned.

dnstommy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Super old thread, but the stock lug nuts from Ford are $9.32 EACH. Jesus. I need to be careful with the lugs next time.
Sponsored