Sponsored

Knock sound from N/S rear when turning left.

Supersolo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
Hi.

Seasons greetings to all, I hope you're enjoying the holidays.

Got an issue with the car, had it a while now.

Slowly turning left, off the drive into the road, I hear one or two knocks from the N/S rear, happens everytime.
I took it to the dealer earlier this year, I reproduced it for the tech without leaving the car park.

Initially the tech identified the rear ARB bushes were loose, so the car was booked in for new ARB bushes... However, the knock persisted.

Nothing appears to be loose and the symptoms are consistent, ie, the knock isn't getting louder or anything of that nature. Everytime, low speed left turn, I hear a " Knock ".

Any suggestions as to what it could be, would be very welcome.

SS
:like:
Sponsored

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
@Kristian87 - Is this the issue that you had ?

If not, also check out the rear axle thrust washers :like:

WD :like:

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
@Kristian87 - Is this the issue that you had ?
Indeed. And still is - does bug me I'll admit, but as OP states - it's consistent in it's subtlety. I had new rear shocks installed, and then replaced once more under warranty. New bearing assembly, including the a new thrust washer and nut, although the latter bearing replacement was more of a clicking than a knocking.

Interesting that the ARB bushings didn't solve it as that's where I'd go next. I've had all the suspension checked over 2 or 3 times by various places and all seems to be in good order.

From my own research, end links are a prime culprit too.

Let's keep this thread alive, might give me the motivation to keep looking in to it!

OP
OP

Supersolo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
My car is still (just) under warranty, I'll book it in with the dealership, see if I can get to the bottom of the issue.

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
My car is still (just) under warranty, I'll book it in with the dealership, see if I can get to the bottom of the issue.
Great news, will add any other thoughts here as I remember them. But deffo mention the end links.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Supersolo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
Let's keep this thread alive, might give me the motivation to keep looking in to it!
N/S rear drive has been disassembled, to reveal................................( we suspected a failed thrust washer)

There was no thrust washer, never has been.
:clap:

Do not trust Ford to assemble your car completely or correctly, evidently, that's impossible.
Instead, only try to realize the truth... That there is no thrust washer!
Then you will see, it is not the thrust washer that is missing, it is only yourself, misplacing your trust in Ford.

Warranty should take care of it, the folk at the dealership are a great bunch.
They always are.

Nothing against the dealership, but the hassle of getting this sorted is a logistical inconvenience.
I may contact Ford once my car is assembled to it's originally intended, complete, state, for the first time since it was " assembled ".

Meanwhile I have thoughts about whether the O/S thrust washer was installed or is that missing also?...

Last edited:

raptor17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Manual 2017
N/S rear drive has been disassembled, to reveal................................( we suspected a failed thrust washer)

There was no thrust washer, never has been.
:clap:

Do not trust Ford to assemble your car completely or correctly, evidently, that's impossible.
Instead, only try to realize the truth... That there is no thrust washer!
Then you will see, it is not the thrust washer that is missing, it is only yourself, missing trust in Ford.

Warranty should take care of it, the folk at the dealership are a great bunch.
They always are.

Nothing against the dealership, but the hassle of getting this sorted is a logistical inconvenience.
I may contact Ford once my car is assembled to it's originally intended, complete, state, for the first time since it was " assembled ".

Meanwhile I have thoughts about whether the O/S thrust washer was installed or is that missing also?...
so you got the lightweight GT special then.... amazing how they can not fit parts and the ones they do they forget to tighten the bolts or just dont bother aligning them. Bit like Boeing...

OP
OP

Supersolo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
Finally come to the conclusion and rectification of the issue with a knocking sound coming from the rear of the car at initial pull-away and/or turning left at low speed.

I only agreed to having these stupid items installed after being nagged by the "sales man" at MAP.

Steeda IRS components.JPG

One of the components shown above had worn away part of the sub frame mounting bush and was hitting steel, causing the knocking sound.

Food for thought for anyone thinking of buying or something to check if like me you've been sucked into having these installed.

Massive thanks to Jacksons Ford, Henley-in-Arden.
They're a terrific bunch, dedicated and professional.
After reading other people's comments about Ford dealerships, one of the reasons owning my Mustang has been great, is because of the team at Jacksons.

MarkM

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
Wow, I’d say that was an installation problem rather than the parts causing an issue, lots of those out there with no issues.
So wish I had a dealer I could rely on :(

OP
OP

Supersolo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
@MarkM

I'm just glad it's been identified and the offending items removed.
Although the kit isn't what I would call, low-cost, I was worried whatever was making the sound, was something that would have been a lot more expensive to rectify.

Perhaps this thread may be useful as reference material, for others, in the future.

Sponsored