Help with better times for a newer 1/4 mile guy

Airborne5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Hi everyone,

I have a 2018 5.0 PP1 A10

In 2021 I ran the car bone stock with stock tires. My best time was a 12.6 with heating up the stock tires, cant remember trap.

In 2022 I had a corse active exhaust and I replaced the tires with Firestone firehawk Indy 500's in the same tire size, otherwise stock, and ran 13 flat, cant remember trap speed

This year in 2023 I added VMS 17x10 wheels wrapped in Nitto 555r2's in 305/45/17 and my best run after heating up the tires nicely was a 12.4 trapped 117 mph and a 1.9 60 foot on a prepped track. I played around with the PSI and above 26 PSI warm I was bunny hoping and breaking traction. I tried 19-20 PSI warm tire I was running 12.6 all day until I upped it to 22 PSI for my last run and hit the 12.4009.

I am posting because I was confident with the tires and wheel I would get a much lower 12 or even break into the 11's.

My mods over the winter are planned as kooks catted headers and a tune from PBD.

When launching I have advanced traction control off, drag mode on, shifter in "D", I heat up the tires I have my left foot on the brake, right foot holds around 1,500 - 2,000 RPM

I am confident the tune and headers will get me into the 11's but I was hoping the wheels and tires would have got me there.

For those that know and drive better than me, what could I have done to improve those times?

I thought for sure the upgraded wheels and tires would have been worth more than .2

Tips on a better 60 foot?

Thanks for any advice.
Sponsored

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Itā€™s frustrating to say the least. Your car is an auto and mine is a manual, but I too was expecting the tire to cut that sixty down for me. TBH, 1.9-2.0 is doable on factory tires and thatā€™s the part thatā€™s hard to fathom. Just curious, how long of a burnout are you doing?

One thing that might be hurting me on the drag radial is taking too long to stage. Iā€˜m so focused on doing other things in the car as Iā€™m coming up to the staging beams, that I literally slow myself down and creep to the beams, to ensure that I donā€™t miss a step. By taking this extra time, my tires may already be starting to lose a lot of heat, which may be affecting my sixty. Iā€™m going to try and get there a little quicker next time out and see if that helps some.

TEAsGrabber

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Mustang Mach1
Put it on a diet! Every 100 pounds is a tenth. Good luck!!!

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Forget the headers and tune. Buy a converter. Youā€™ll have your 11 second slip.
3.15 or 3.55 gear?

furdfan2018

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Strong for a stock car other than tires!

Stall is a good idea ... what gears in your car?

You'll have trouble getting out the hole (60') if you have freeway gears.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Airborne5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Itā€™s frustrating to say the least. Your car is an auto and mine is a manual, but I too was expecting the tire to cut that sixty down for me. TBH, 1.9-2.0 is doable on factory tires and thatā€™s the part thatā€™s hard to fathom. Just curious, how long of a burnout are you doing?

One thing that might be hurting me on the drag radial is taking too long to stage. Iā€˜m so focused on doing other things in the car as Iā€™m coming up to the staging beams, that I literally slow myself down and creep to the beams, to ensure that I donā€™t miss a step. By taking this extra time, my tires may already be starting to lose a lot of heat, which may be affecting my sixty. Iā€™m going to try and get there a little quicker next time out and see if that helps some.
It was a little frustrating indeed, but I was pumped when I hit that 12.4, I think if the day hadn't ended I could have run a 12.3xxx for sure. All my burnouts were just enough to see a little smoke then a rolled it out. When I did my best run of 12.4009 I really lit em up in comparison. I am not sure if that was it, or it was the 22 PSI. I agree I hate waiting to launch once I burn em as I too feel I am loosing heat/grip.

Put it on a diet! Every 100 pounds is a tenth. Good luck!!!
I do like the take the car out for date nights and my wife likes to drive it around here and there, suggestions for weight loss that wont affect to much of its driveability?

Forget the headers and tune. Buy a converter. Youā€™ll have your 11 second slip.
3.15 or 3.55 gear?
3.55 gear, can you expand on converter?

Strong for a stock car other than tires!

Stall is a good idea ... what gears in your car?

You'll have trouble getting out the hole (60') if you have freeway gears.
Thanks! I am happy with a 12.4009 for a pretty much stock car. gearing is 3.55

WoodburnGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Hi everyone,

In 2021 I ran the car bone stock with stock tires. My best time was a 12.6 with heating up the stock tires, cant remember trap.

In 2022 I had a corse active exhaust and I replaced the tires with Firestone firehawk Indy 500's in the same tire size, otherwise stock, and ran 13 flat, cant remember trap speed

This year in 2023 I added VMS 17x10 wheels wrapped in Nitto 555r2's in 305/45/17 and my best run after heating up the tires nicely was a 12.4 trapped 117 mph and a 1.9 60 foot on a prepped track. I played around with the PSI and above 26 PSI warm I was bunny hoping and breaking traction. I tried 19-20 PSI warm tire I was running 12.6 all day until I upped it to 22 PSI for my last run and hit the 12.4009.

I am posting because I was confident with the tires and wheel I would get a much lower 12 or even break into the 11's.

My mods over the winter are planned as kooks catted headers and a tune from PBD.

When launching I have advanced traction control off, drag mode on, shifter in "D", I heat up the tires I have my left foot on the brake, right foot holds around 1,500 - 2,000 RPM

I am confident the tune and headers will get me into the 11's but I was hoping the wheels and tires would have got me there.

For those that know and drive better than me, what could I have done to improve those times?

I thought for sure the upgraded wheels and tires would have been worth more than .2

Thanks for any advice.
Unfortunately, youā€™re right where you should be with the set-up you have. To break into the 11ā€™s, youā€™re gonna need to add horsepower or take weight out of the car, preferably both. E85 is a nice power gain, but not always readily available in some areaā€™s.

OP
OP

Airborne5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Unfortunately, youā€™re right where you should be with the set-up you have. To break into the 11ā€™s, youā€™re gonna need to add horsepower or take weight out of the car, preferably both. E85 is a nice power gain, but not always readily available in some areaā€™s.
Thanks for the reply. Once I add headers and a tune, do you think I can shave off .41 second and break into the 11's?

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Thanks for the reply. Once I add headers and a tune, do you think I can shave off .41 second and break into the 11's?
You could run 11.90ā€™s with a converter. N/A Coyotes donā€™t need long tube headers. A converter and a good leave, will knock off .4-.5 off your 1320. Headers and a tune wonā€™t.

Sponsored

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
OP
OP

Airborne5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
You could run 11.90ā€™s with a converter. N/A Coyotes donā€™t need long tube headers. A converter and a good leave, will knock off .4-.5 off your 1320. Headers and a tune wonā€™t.
What exactly is a converter?

qtrmiler2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
greg
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt pp1
Make sure your running good 93 octane.My 18 pp1 ran 12.09 all stock.Shit 87 octane will slow it down.

cahouston

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Hi everyone,

Thanks for any advice.
I may have missed it but was was the DA (density altitude) on the day and at the time you ran? If your slip doesn't show it, what track, day, and time was your run? You can look up DA for your track, day, and time at airdensityonline.com.

An '18 A10 with 3.55 gear on a rear tire should be in the 11s in decent weather or really close to it. Decent = under 2000' DA. With DRs in the back, skinnies in the front, a proper cool down before my run, and a DA improvement of about 850', I dropped over 6/10 of a second from my factory stock time of 12.2 @ 117.78 in 1087' DA with no real cool down (140* IAT) cutting a 2.0 60'. In 223' DA on the DRs and skinnies with proper cool down and long burnout (both runs with 1/4 tank of 93), it cut a 1.85 60' and ran 11.55 @ 121.5. The better DA, a proper cool down (73* IAT), and DRs in the back for traction were big contributors. On stock tires, I spun out of the hole, and on each shift 1-2, 2-3, and 3-4. Spinning, bad air, and heat soak are killers.

On the burnout, hold it for 3-4 seconds after you first see smoke. I have mostly raced on my bias ply tires but when I have run on the 555rii rears, they have wanted to be really warm to stick. If your best 60' is 1.9x, it sounds like they could still be spinning.

Are you doing any weight reduction? Trunk empty? Gas tank at/under 1/4 tank?

If you have stock PP1 wheels, the fronts are still boat anchors. Get some skinnies on MT Sportsman SRs or some other radial skinny tire that you can drive on.
Sponsored