Sponsored

Guys, how important is the “Shelby” name to the enjoyment of your car?

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
The stop watch is an interesting measure at times. I’ve always thought a single lap isn’t a good measure. Would prefer say a 10-15 lap measure. Reasoning for me is at that you get a really good measure of actual real pace and if it falls off. Really similar to watching for example f1 qualifying. They’re close, arguably so, then the race and ten laps in pole sitter checked out.

You need a stopwatch to differentiate between a HP Mach and a GT350 on a road course. Of course the GT350 has about 3.8% more displacement and is rated at 10% more power with both being stock, so you might feel a performance difference.
Sponsored

Baxter3221

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 GT350R, '16 X5M
The actual Shelby name doesn't do anything for me (though I do like the logo on the merch).

Besides the car being exactly what I want, I'll admit that owning the "best" mustang has an intrinsic value to me. I had a GT350 and went up to the GT350R mostly for the performance, but part of me likes owning an R (I realize you could argue the GT500 is really the "best" but I wasn't interested in DCT).

Said another way, I suspect I could mod a base GT to be a better track car for the same price (or less), but I like having the Shelby.

NPTR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350R HEP
I'm not sold on this idea... I have drove the GT350 and the Mach1 back to back, and they are not similar. And the Mach1 is a GT upgrade.

That being said, the GT needs a lot of mods as you have indicated.

If you bought a GT350, you sell a GT350 for it's market value.

If you mod a GT to make it close to a GT350, you sell a GT with mods that most probably will never sell anywhere near the GT350 retail, or what you invested in mods.

Unfortunately, without the Ford Flat-Planed 32-Valve Philharmonic Orchestra with Chewbacca on Vocals wailing out from the exhaust tips.... you're only fooling yourself and your wallet.

Couldn’t agree more - and if numbers / performance matter most, just get a Tesla. The soul of this car is the special engine…all the engagement points…the transmission, brakes, etc. I just don’t agree that you can get close to that with a reasonably modded GT, even a heavily modded GT. And the market value point is spot on - I always look at cars on a total cost basis, not a price basis. Considering entry, mods, and then future exit…quite confident you’re spending less over time in the 350.

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
The stop watch is an interesting measure at times. I’ve always thought a single lap isn’t a good measure. Would prefer say a 10-15 lap measure. Reasoning for me is at that you get a really good measure of actual real pace and if it falls off. Really similar to watching for example f1 qualifying. They’re close, arguably so, then the race and ten laps in pole sitter checked out.
exactly. only 2 seconds faster on the road course = 10 seconds in 5 laps

dsiggi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
To me the Shelby name is nice, but in modern times it means more about how Ford is allowed to develop the car vs a GT. There will always be cost constraints but FP has much more leeway to do things, think first production carbon fiber wheels, FP Crank etc then the general GT thats built for the masses. The specialty cars will always be a better, fully engineered, purpose built vehicle with less "committee" design feel.

Sponsored

NPTR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350R HEP
I wish SVT and the Cobra name would make a comeback.

Agreed - SVT so much better than “Ford Performance”, was sad to see that one go…and I’m sure Cobra will make a comeback at some point, Ford just tucking it away for a while so they can get everyone fired up and full of nostalgia when they bring it back haha.

Snellemin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Bullitt, '14 Expedition, Merc C300, Scion xb,
I mean if your current GT350/500 was badged as a “Mach 2“ and didn’t say Shelby anywhere on it, would it still be as special to you as it is? Let’s face it; regardless of what assembly line they went down, who blessed them, what registry they are or aren’t on or any other useless point somebody’s trying to make Shelbys are special. Always have been, always will be.

Please try to examine yourself and be honest. My two ‘23 Mach 1s (one manual, one A10) are realistically all I’d ever need or could hope for. I love ‘em. They’re paid for. They‘re beautiful and even stock I’ll admit they’re more capable than I am. But I’m a victim of nearly 60 years of brainwashing and can’t get the Shelby jones off my back.
I think "Shelby's" are special. It can also be that my old butt is influenced by the history of the guy and what he has accomplished in the automotive industry.
I also like the looks of the Shelby branded vehicles. The cars look different and so do the performance numbers. The Shelby name is a good conversation starter among car people.

If I could afford to drive a Shelby properly, I would tow it around the country and race it on all the various race tracks we have in this country. But that would need a 300K disposable yearly hobby income. Spare parts add up quick.

The Mach 1 also looks special over a GT and I want one while I can still drive a manual. Maybe one day. Until then, I have my Bullitt which is also special to me. The exhaust sound, the comfort and driving manners does it for me. But I can be biased, cause I'm influenced by the movie itself. That exhaust sound in the movie.....! The Bullitt understated looks to the commoner, doesn't draw much attention. Others ask if it's a 2024 mustang, cause they never seen that type before. No badges and chrome trim.

If you put the GT, Bullitt, Mach 1, Shelby GT500 and GT350 side by side, you will see that they are special in their own way. There is also the Saleen and Roush variants that do have things I like on their vehicles. So many choices!!!

OP
OP
young at heart

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 GT vert A10 / 23 Mach 1 A10 / 23 Mach 1 Tremec
I think "Shelby's" are special. It can also be that my old butt is influenced by the history of the guy and what he has accomplished in the automotive industry.
I also like the looks of the Shelby branded vehicles. The cars look different and so do the performance numbers. The Shelby name is a good conversation starter among car people.

If I could afford to drive a Shelby properly, I would tow it around the country and race it on all the various race tracks we have in this country. But that would need a 300K disposable yearly hobby income. Spare parts add up quick.

The Mach 1 also looks special over a GT and I want one while I can still drive a manual. Maybe one day. Until then, I have my Bullitt which is also special to me. The exhaust sound, the comfort and driving manners does it for me. But I can be biased, cause I'm influenced by the movie itself. That exhaust sound in the movie.....! The Bullitt understated looks to the commoner, doesn't draw much attention. Others ask if it's a 2024 mustang, cause they never seen that type before. No badges and chrome trim.

If you put the GT, Bullitt, Mach 1, Shelby GT500 and GT350 side by side, you will see that they are special in their own way. There is also the Saleen and Roush variants that do have things I like on their vehicles. So many choices!!!
Honest, thoughtful and fair response.

Thank you.

Sponsored

526 HRSE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Grabber Blue
Vehicle Showcase
I mean if your current GT350/500 was badged as a “Mach 2“ and didn’t say Shelby anywhere on it, would it still be as special to you as it is? Let’s face it; regardless of what assembly line they went down, who blessed them, what registry they are or aren’t on or any other useless point somebody’s trying to make Shelbys are special. Always have been, always will be.

Please try to examine yourself and be honest. I’m not trying to trick you or pull a gotcha. It’s actually more of a mental health check on myself. My two ‘23 Mach 1s (one manual, one A10) are realistically all I’d ever need or could hope for. I love ‘em. They’re paid for. They‘re beautiful and even stock I’ll admit they’re more capable than I am. But I’m a victim of nearly 60 years of brainwashing and can’t get the Shelby jones off my back.

I guess I’m just shallow. There, I‘ve outed myself.

GT500 guys chime in too. I just didn’t see any reason to clog up two forums.
We have a Shelby, you have a Mustang.

526 HRSE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Grabber Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Love when others like to bolster their purchase decisions by starting these types of conversations. People are so dumb to need this type of thing to make themselves feel good.

If you didn't buy a GT350 or 500, you bought an inferior Mustang, get over it ;)

Evidence - where are there any GT350 people posting in other forums saying - DO you guys feel good that you got a nice sports car for less money and didn't pay all that money for JUST the Shelby name? Nope.
I wouldn't own a Mustang because the front ends are ugly af. The Camaro is a much better looking car. Even Mopar if it didn't attract so many ghetto folk. I didn't buy my gt350 because I liked Mustangs, i bought it because it's a badass car. The 500s look good, but the Mach, Bullitt and every other variant are hideous to me. I've never been one to follow a brand. I'm not a Ford guy, not a Chevy guy. If i ever "upgrade" my gt350, I will move to Porsche.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Downside to a modded GT as well is its only as good as the ding dong that put it together.... Mach 1 or Shelby eliminate this...
The GT350 is still only as good as the manufacturer intended. I modified my GT350 so that it wouldn't overheat on track...

dsiggi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
The GT350 is still only as good as the manufacturer intended. I modified my GT350 so that it wouldn't overheat on track...
Correct, it has design parameters it has to hit. Its a known state, unlike something assembled by drunk uncle charlie.

dsiggi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
I wouldn't own a Mustang because the front ends are ugly af. The Camaro is a much better looking car. Even Mopar if it didn't attract so many ghetto folk. I didn't buy my gt350 because I liked Mustangs, i bought it because it's a badass car. The 500s look good, but the Mach, Bullitt and every other variant are hideous to me. I've never been one to follow a brand. I'm not a Ford guy, not a Chevy guy. If i ever "upgrade" my gt350, I will move to Porsche.
My grandfather worked for ford but I never really cared for mustangs. GT350 changed that. Like you next is probably a Porche. Heck probably an addition, I love the 350R too much.
Sponsored