HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
I have a Thinkware F770 with rear camera I want to install in my 2016 GT. I can find some generic information for front camera installation but nothing for running the wires to the rear and placement of the camera.

A search got me this promising link: https://www.blackvue.com/featured-car3-input-title/ for a front and rear installation video for a 2015 Mustang but there is no video on that page. In case it was a browser glitch, I tried Chrome, Edge, IE and Firefox with the same results. It looks like all the Blackvue videos are missing. I emailed them but don't expect any help.

So does anyone know of a DIY video or thread or blog or ???? that details running the wires for a rear camera?
Sponsored

MyFirst5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 deep impact blue premium gt
iirc the rear camera wire attaches to the front camera, so once you have it hardwired to the fuse box, just run the wire along the headliner behind the plastic pieces to the rear glass

OP
OP
HoosierDaddy

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
iirc the rear camera wire attaches to the front camera, so once you have it hardwired to the fuse box, just run the wire along the headliner behind the plastic pieces to the rear glass
That's what I am looking for how to do. How to remove each panel along the way and the cleanest route.

MyFirst5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 deep impact blue premium gt
i dont think you need to remove any of the panels, you should be able to tuck the wires under the headliner and along the pass side roofline without having to remove anything

Actual

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang 5.0 V8 GT Auto Fastback Black
I found it quite difficult to install the main front camera for my Thinkware F750 installation as it very tight to route the power cable from the fuse panel and between the dashboard and the body of the car.

I installed the rear camera for my Thinkware F750 in just a few minutes by pushing the cable up behind the roof liner and even hiding the slack behind the trim running down the side of the rear window. I used some spare black foam in places to pack the cable a bit so it didn't fall out or cause vibrations,

I guarantee that you will install the rear camera upside down !!! :)

Useful stuff here. http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57833

Sponsored

OP
OP
HoosierDaddy

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Thanks guys.

I'm leaving on a road trip Monday and just got my MGW shifter that I didn't expect until after I left.

So in an attempt to get BOTH in the car before leaving, I decided to have a shop do the dash cam install.

Install went great until time to power the camera on. Dead as a door nail (what does that even mean?). I had to buy from a company in Canada because there are no US sources for this model yet. They are over-nighting me a replacement camera so should be in and working on Thursday or Friday.

The shop is top rated and the guy doing the install blew my mind with answers to extremely esoteric questions from walk-ins about obscure model car wiring, etc.. But thought I would ask here anyway: Is there any mistake during installation that could kill a camera? He said they confirmed there was power going thru the add-a-fuse (I think that's what they call it) for the hard wiring and also tried plugging it into the cigarette lighter. I never asked if they confirmed power to the cigarette lighter socket in the car.

I'm going to see if I can test that some way before I return ship the original camera. I'm guessing sticking my tongue in it isn't the best way. I don't think I have a single car 12v device to test it with. Not even a phone charger. LoL

Last edited:

Michael_vroomvroom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2020, MT, EU (not quite PP1), Magneride
Following up here since this is one of the links I found when googling on how to install a rear camera, in case others also search for the same.
At least on my 2020, it is possible to run a cable straight from under the front map casing, through the roof liner, and out at the back of the roof liner where the rear window starts.

It is not so easy to do it however, and the way I managed to do it was to use one of those "nylon draw tapes" people use for running cables in houses (https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00LUPQ076 is what I used. It's good because it has a magnetic tip, needed for step two.) to push the dash cam cable from under the map light and as far back as I could. This was still not far enough for me to see the cable come out on the rear of the roof liner however, so I ended up using a long magnetic rod I had and pushed that in from the rear as far as I could. Then I fished around with the draw tape until I could hear it click on to the magnetic rod. Then I could pull the magnetic rod out carefully, with the draw tape and dash cam cable following. This saved me from dismantling any panels and is easier than other ways I've seen described once I knew how to do it, though it of course requires some extra tools.

An easier way would be if instead of a somewhat soft draw tape, I had something similar, but much firmer, as once the cable enters the middle of the roof liner, quite a bit of force is needed to push it further as the distance between the roof cover and what's above it reduces quite a bit. Too much force for a regular draw tape, so it just ends up bending and coming back.

This of course assumes you already have, or plan to, detach the map casing (which I would have done much to avoid had I know you can only detach it very carefully once, tops two times, without having a high risk of not being able to attach it again the same way. An incredibly poor design imo. and now I'll have to find a way to create new attachment points in order to reattach it.)
Sponsored