Sponsored

Is this brake pad still enough for another track day?

BA939P

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dante
Vehicle(s)
17' GT350 & 14GT
51220567047_1f619d07fb_b.jpg

I've been using this stock brake pads over the past three track days n last year, but I'm not sure if it's still enough for another track day.
It would be great if anyone who's more experienced could tell whether it need to be changed before next track day. Thanks a lot!
Sponsored

meterman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350R KR785
That’s pretty tough to determine on a picture but it looks like you are getting pretty close. How aggressive do you brake? I got 8 days out of my stock pads but I didn’t really start getting aggressive on the brakes until the 3rd or 4th track day. If it was me I definitely have an extra set of pads so I could swap at the track. You might be better off installing new pads, bed them in and then switch back to the original pads for non track driving.

Bridgie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT fastback. PP, 50th trim, Black
Every time you go out, the confidence rises, braking later and more aggressive..
If you are driving the same (slow) as your first time out... then it should be ok..

Do you want to run how you want or have brake pad concerns that will constrain you..?
In all honesty, it can only be your call. Thinner pad, more heat, more wear...
I wouldn’t trust any advice on here about stopping performance.. too many factors to consider and too many unknowns..

Good luck and be safe.

Last edited:

sigintel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
The brake pad material helps provide thermal insulation from the steel support shoe, piston, and piston seals. The seals are like your nuts, protect them at all costs and avoid thermal exposure that might require replacing one....

7-8mm remaining might be pushing it.
If you are NOT running SRF or other high temp brake fluid, I'd be especially shy of deep braking below 7mm pad material (not including metal support shoe thickness).

TMO forum I think had some users experiment with pushing the limits with poor results.
Keep in mind those exploring limits might be running titanium thermal shims and SRF or better fluid...

OP
OP
BA939P

BA939P

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dante
Vehicle(s)
17' GT350 & 14GT
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51220567047_1f619d07fb_b.jpg
The brake pad material helps provide thermal insulation from the steel support shoe, piston, and piston seals. The seals are like your nuts, protect them at all costs and avoid thermal exposure that might require replacing one....

7-8mm remaining might be pushing it.
If you are NOT running SRF or other high temp brake fluid, I'd be especially shy of deep braking below 7mm pad material (not including metal support shoe thickness).

TMO forum I think had some users experiment with pushing the limits with poor results.
Keep in mind those exploring limits might be running titanium thermal shims and SRF or better fluid...
Thanks for your suggestions. I'm currently running motul660, but gonna replace the pads before the trackday.

Sponsored

OP
OP
BA939P

BA939P

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dante
Vehicle(s)
17' GT350 & 14GT
That’s pretty tough to determine on a picture but it looks like you are getting pretty close. How aggressive do you brake? I got 8 days out of my stock pads but I didn’t really start getting aggressive on the brakes until the 3rd or 4th track day. If it was me I definitely have an extra set of pads so I could swap at the track. You might be better off installing new pads, bed them in and then switch back to the original pads for non track driving.
I brake quite hard on the track, so i will get a set pair of brake pads. Thanks!

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I brake quite hard on the track, so i will get a set pair of brake pads. Thanks!
Good call.

Judging by the thickness of the backing plate and typical pad friction material thicknesses it looks like you're getting down close to the 50% friction material thickness guideline that many track day entities follow at tech inspection.

Norm

Champracerj

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP2
Keep and eye on them after each session and when they get down to the min thickness swap in new pads at the track.

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
I did my 3rd track day with my pads looking just like yours. At the end of the day, the pads were right even with the scratchers. Minimum thickness for all 4 pads was 3.5mm. So I'm consuming about 3mm per track day, and they last 3 days.
Sponsored