Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.centripetalsolutions.com
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
'18 350, 996 GT-3, 330 ZHP, E46 M3, SQ5, Tundra
OK DFB5.0, jumped on the last car of the nano-coat train and thought I'd see how Blackout would look after I sliced and diced those pesky nibs.

I took your advice about the tires needing to absolutely clean and now I can see why some folks don't have great results with the product. I used CP MultiX per CP's recommendation and I will have to compliment Sal Zaino on his tire dressing. It basically told the MultiX to pack sand. The coating didn't budge after 3 applications of an 8:1 solution of MultiX along with a ton of scrubbing (and some cursing). I jacked up the side of the car so I could get 100% of the sidewall but here's what my MF towels looked like after re-attacking in the garage with a 50% IPA 50% DI water mixture:

IMG_0709.JPG

The bottom towel was the result of all 4 tires and the top towel was only the 3/8" rim protection bead! I couldn't believe how much gunk was hiding out on that little lip. Easy to see how hard it is to get the sidewalls 'white glove clean' given the veritable plethora of tire dressings on the market. Some of which wash off driving through the rain, sling off over 100mph, or turn brown just looking at it. So no slight on the MultiX but I almost ran out of elbow grease trying to remove Sal's tire goo.

The applicator also needed some trimming. It was too crescent shaped to conform to the tire so I trimmed off about 1/2" of one end so the applicator would glide flush to the sidewall.

IMG_0710.JPG

IMG_0711.JPG

I also found that the 'pointy end' of the applicator worked great to get in the rim protection bead/lip.

IMG_0712.JPG

Overall the product spreads smoothly and you can tell when you have a good line of product on the sponge. It'll glide over the tire vice be 'grabby'. I did 1/4 (or 90 deg) of the sidewall at a time and had the side jacked up (in neutral and wheel chocked on the other side) so I could rotate the wheel to make it easier and ensure I got 100% of the sidewall coated.

The recommended wait time at 25C for second coat is an hour. The second coat went on like the first (unlike ceramic on the car where the second coat slips on over the first layer) and final finish was slightly glossier than my preference and makes the tire quite black (duh...I guess that's why they named it Blackout). We'll see how it holds up over time or changes appearance on the garage queen that doesn't get much Vitamin D from the sun...although I'm working on that every chance I get!

Though to ensure no good deed goes unpunished, I discovered my LR wheel bearing is beginning to fail at 19,743 miles. I see they're prone to failure regardless of suspension setup . The wheel has some 'slop' and given the relative ease of replacing the hub, I have a Timken inbound and I'll get 'er done vice take the mistress to Ford so they can have their way with her...not on my watch lol.
Sponsored

Last edited:

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT Premium PP1, 10 Auto Grabber Blue
OK DFB5.0, jumped on the last car of the nano-coat train and thought I'd see how Blackout would look after I sliced and diced those pesky nibs.

I took your advice about the tires needing to absolutely clean and now I can see why some folks don't have great results with the product. I used CP MultiX per CP's recommendation and I will have to compliment Sal Zaino on his tire dressing. It basically told the MultiX to pack sand. The coating didn't budge after 3 applications of an 8:1 solution of MultiX along with a ton of scrubbing (and some cursing). I jacked up the side of the car so I could get 100% of the sidewall but here's what my MF towels looked like after re-attacking in the garage with a 50% IPA 50% DI water mixture:

IMG_0709.JPG

The bottom towel was the result of all 4 tires and the top towel was only the 3/8" rim protection bead! I couldn't believe how much gunk was hiding out on that little lip. Easy to see how hard it is to get the sidewalls 'white glove clean' given the veritable plethora of tire dressings on the market. Some of which wash off driving through the rain, sling off over 100mph, or turn brown just looking at it. So no slight on the MultiX but I almost ran out of elbow grease trying to remove Sal's tire goo.

The applicator also needed some trimming. It was too crescent shaped to conform to the tire so I trimmed off about 1/2" of one end so the applicator would glide flush to the sidewall.

IMG_0710.JPG

IMG_0711.JPG

I also found that the 'pointy end' of the applicator worked great to get in the rim protection bead/lip.

IMG_0712.JPG

Overall the product spreads smoothly and you can tell when you have a good line of product on the sponge. It'll glide over the tire vice be 'grabby'. I did 1/4 (or 90 deg) of the sidewall at a time and had the side jacked up (in neutral and wheel chocked on the other side) so I could rotate the wheel to make it easier and ensure I got 100% of the sidewall coated.

The recommended wait time at 25C for second coat is an hour. The second coat went on like the first (unlike ceramic on the car where the second coat slips on over the first layer) and final finish was slightly glossier than my preference and makes the tire quite black (duh...I guess that's why they named it Blackout). We'll see how it holds up over time or changes appearance on the garage queen that doesn't get much Vitamin D from the sun...although I'm working on that every chance I get!

Though to ensure no good deed goes unpunished, I discovered my LR wheel bearing is beginning to fail at 19,743 miles. I see they're prone to failure regardless of suspension setup . The wheel has some 'slop' and given the relative ease of replacing the hub, I have a Timken inbound and I'll get 'er done vice take the mistress to Ford so they can have their way with her...not on my watch lol.
Wow, that 's cool, I stopped at Darkside with my treatments :)

As for the bearing, I had the right front start howling this past week on mine at 16k miles. I ordered and did both fronts this week, didn't take too long, was relatively straightforward.. I like you didn't want to wait over a month for the dealer and much rather do it myself.

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
The bottom towel was the result of all 4 tires and the top towel was only the 3/8" rim protection bead! I couldn't believe how much gunk was hiding out on that little lip.
I wonder just how many times I've wiped that 3/8" bead and found MORE gunk, John?! Makes me crazy but that smooth surface sure soaks that chidt up. Typically, my patience runs out after three or four times around the circumference and my brain says, "Good enough, dude." <smile> But for SURE I've never seen NO transfer, not even after aggressively scrubbing the tire with mineral spirits.

I have a Timken inbound
MOF, I grew up outside Akron, Ohio and Timken had a huge factory in a city just south of us in Canton and I think they probably provided jobs for half the folks in the town. Don't know if they're still there though...let me check. Yep, still there.

But that sure isn't very many miles for a wheel bearing. I only have 5k on my '20 but it makes me wonder what might be in store down the road.

I ordered and did both fronts this week
Did you use OEM bearings, Alex, or another brand?

All: Anyone else had to replace a bearing(s)?

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT Premium PP1, 10 Auto Grabber Blue
Did you use OEM bearings, Alex, or another brand?

All: Anyone else had to replace a bearing(s)?
I just went to the dealer and got them. I found a set on Rock auto that was cheaper but shipping made them almost the same. I was in a hurry, I took the whole week off from work last week to participate in Ponies in the Smokies so I didn't have time for that nonsense LOL. Drove the Tail of the Dragon on Tuesday and the longer I drove the worse the howl got when I turned left. I made it home and called the dealer that afternoon. They of course couldn't get me in (warranty repair) til mid April so I transferred to parts and of course they didn't have in stock but they got me a set from Atlanta by noon on Wednesday. 2 hours of crawling around in my garage floor and a few colorful words, and I had it back together and was able to resume enjoying my week off with Mustang friends. Albiet with a wallet lighter by a few hundred dollars ;) In the grand scheme of things, they were not that hard to replace, the second was a lot faster once I learned I could turn the wheel left and right to make it easier to reach the bolts :)
Sponsored