Sponsored

Bed organization, Tonneau Cover and tie down recommendations for transporting wheelchair

zzneonzz

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma
I'm trying to figure out how to address an issue I'm having and hope someone here can offer some advice. I have a need to keep a wheelchair in the bed of truck and I'm trying to figure out how to keep it from sliding around the bed while driving. My last truck was a 2015 Nissan Frontier with a tonneau cover and the Bed Extender used the rail system so I was able to set the bed extender so that it would old the wheelchair near the bed and kept it stationary. The Tacoma bed extender however looks like it mounts to the bed and not the rail so I think that option is out. So I was thinking of getting the cargo divider for the Tacoma and use it like I did the bed extender on my Frontier but I'm not sure that is going to be the best option since I am currently planning on getting the Bakflip MX4 when it is released and was looking at previous model's installation and it appears it drops the rail section down a bit so I am unsure if it the cargo divider will work with the lower rail hight. Does anyone know if the previous model Tacom's the cargo divider could be used with Tonneau covers specifically the MX4 (I'm open to other tonneau cover options.) The wheelchair will be folded down and laying on the side so it will fit under a cover but because it lays on the wheel it has to have something holding it in place to keep it from sliding and spinning around. So if the cargo divider isn't a good fit does anyone know of some quick attach/detatch tie down straps that can be used to secure it during transport? I appreciate any help in getting this figured out.
Sponsored

R.A.N.M.J.

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2023 4Runner, soon to be 2024 Tacoma
Are you completely opposed to hitch mounted solutions? If not, they are relatively inexpensive and are easy to put on and take off. Plus they'll keep the WC from getting damaged. You can also buy WC covers and a rope lock to keep it secure.

That being said, if you must store it flat in the bed under a cover, real truck offers a bed divider that can be used for your purposes, but it'll be more expensive than a hitch mounted solution:

https://realtruck.com/p/roll-n-lock-cargo-manager/rnl-cm532/?utm_source=google&utm_source=google&utm_medium=organic&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=free-pla&utm_campaign=RT GA PMax ACQ Promo Pixis&utm_content=surfaces&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAjwuJ2xBhA3EiwAMVjkVIB8ppNY5cezMkNQCxQiUU_wiIZJJlPIExstppOLP8l2cOaReDCCiRoC1sMQAvD_BwE

With that one, you can push it all the way towards the tailgate and it has tie downs. Some velcro straps from Amazon will work nicely to keep the WC from sliding laterally.

It also rotates horizontally, which could help you in this situation.

I would also recommend a rubber bed mat of some kind. it doesn't have to fill the bed, just enough to put the WC on.

OP
OP

zzneonzz

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma
Thanks!! I’m trying to avoid a hitch mount system so i can keep the truck in the garage. Using that i would have to park in the driveway or install/remove it every time we went somewhere

That cargo divider looks perfect! Does it work with the Toyota rail system though? I only saw it mention the rock-n-lock track system.

I agree even with the spray in bed liner i think a rubber bed mat is going to be a good idea and probably going to order the Toyota mat since everyone seems to love it.

R.A.N.M.J.

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2023 4Runner, soon to be 2024 Tacoma
Thanks!! I’m trying to avoid a hitch mount system so i can keep the truck in the garage. Using that i would have to park in the driveway or install/remove it every time we went somewhere

That cargo divider looks perfect! Does it work with the Toyota rail system though? I only saw it mention the rock-n-lock track system.

I agree even with the spray in bed liner i think a rubber bed mat is going to be a good idea and probably going to order the Toyota mat since everyone seems to love it.
Oh, sorry, I guess I don't know why I thought you were using roll-n-lock tonneau.
Here's an alternative:
https://theyotagarage.com/products/toyota-bed-cargo-divider-2024-toyota-tacoma

More expensive and doesn't flip up but, it uses the factory rails.
Sponsored