Battery advice

Kootnak

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Darren
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, Ranger Raptor
Hi all, went to start the Mustang today and nothing, no lights anything. Drove it two week's ago and everything was fine, it has sat for longer than that before and is only two years old. When I connected the charger the lights would flash and a ticking sound from the engine bay. I have never had a flat battery before and I am thinking the battery is cactus, disconnected the charger straight away. Any ideas? Cheers
Sponsored

Arknsawchuck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Pull the battery and take it to an auto parts store and have them load test it. Some just die young. Just had one die at 2.5 years old.

1SLwLS1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
Depending on what type of charger you hooked up to the battery, the pulsing and ticking was possibly the first step in recharging a battery, the desulfation phase where pulsing current and voltage is applied removing sulfate from the lead plates of the battery.

I have a CTEK MXS 5.0 and this happened to me when I first hooked up the device to my dead battery after sitting for a week. Now that I regularly don't drive the car and often hook up the CTEK, it doesn't detect a sulfated battery and skips that step.

OP
OP

Kootnak

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Darren
Vehicle(s)
I also have a CTEK MXS 5.0, how long does the pulsing and light flashing last for.

DRU842

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ecoboost Lightning Blue
While you're looking closely at the battery, best check the cables. The insulation on my 2017 was shot after a few years with heaps of corrosion, causing symptoms similar to what you described. Once the car was started, the dealer replaced both the cables under warranty.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Kootnak

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Darren
Vehicle(s)
Cables are all good, battery decided to die, the battery seems small for this type of car. Although without stop/start its probably ok. Two years life is ordinary though.

PKs

PK's
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Fastback
Cables are all good, battery decided to die, the battery seems small for this type of car. Although without stop/start its probably ok. Two years life is ordinary though.
I originally swapped out for a Century and currently have a Bosch AGM. The Century died when it was allowed to go flat for too long. The Bosch so far is doing well.

OP
OP

Kootnak

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Darren
Vehicle(s)
I swapped to Varta, which I think is made in the same factory as Bosch. Both good quality I believe.
Sponsored