New 2020 GT500 - Transmission Replacement After Harness, GSM and TCM Replaced

atxcobra

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT 500
I owned the car for just over 3 weeks, before experiencing a "Powertrain Malfunction / Reduced Power". The dealer removed the transmission and replaced the harness with a "new" one. When they went to test the repair, the car wouldn't move out of Park. Since taking the car in, the dealer has said that the part number for the harness has now changed, and Ford doesn't have any available, nor can provide an ETA on retrieving one. Interesting that they've changed the part number ... seems like a clear indication that there's quality issues with this part.

I've been told it could be days, weeks, or months before I can get my car back. The dealership said that they "escalated with Ford", but there's basically nothing that can be done without Ford getting them a harness, which is not available anywhere.

I owned my GT500 for 3 weeks, and logged just 255 miles before the failure. The dealer has now had it for 3 weeks, and I have no ETA on getting my car back. Anyone have any contacts at Ford or suggestions? Some friends have suggested contacting an attorney and claiming a "lemon law" claim, since they can't fix the car, and have had it for an unreasonable period of time. This was a very expensive purchase to just have sitting, unusable, with no end in sight. Help!
Sponsored

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Damn ..............

RapidResponder

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 CFTP, 2022 Shelby SSS, 2023 Raptor R
Start by elevating your Warranty Claim by contacting the Ford Customer Relations Center. There are many levels, all the way through Corporate.

Ford Motor Company
Customer Relationship Center
P.O. Box 6248, Dearborn, MI 48126

1-800-392-3673.
Monday-Friday
8:00am-8:00pm EST

A Warranty Claim is simply made through any Ford Dealership or authorized repairer. Your authorized claim repair costs will be covered up-to a maximum value of the original purchase price of the vehicle.

If you want to pursue a Claim for Replacement, Repurchase of a Vehicle or Breach of Warranty through arbitration, you'll need to inform Ford beforehand by calling 1-888-260-4563.

With any route you choose to go, it is highly recommended that you develop and maintain a positive and professional relationship with good communication. You will be surprised at how far Ford will bend to create a good experience for you.

Keep in mind that the Dealership is not technically Ford Motor Company, but an independent retail franchise. Your personal communication directly with the company should gain more traction for both you and your service department.

RR

Last edited:
OP
OP
atxcobra

atxcobra

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT 500
Start by elevating your Warranty Claim by contacting the Ford Customer Relations Center. There are many levels, all the way through Corporate.

Ford Motor Company
Customer Relationship Center
P.O. Box 6248, Dearborn, MI 48126

1-800-392-3673.
Monday-Friday
8:00am-8:00pm EST

A Warranty Claim is simply made through any Ford Dealership or authorized repairer. Your authorized claim repair costs will be covered up-to a maximum value of the original purchase price of the vehicle.

If you want to pursue a Claim for Replacement, Repurchase of a Vehicle or Breach of Warranty through arbitration, you'll need to inform Ford beforehand by calling 1-888-260-4563.

With any route you choose to go, it is highly recommended that you develop and maintain a positive and professional relationship with good communication. You will be surprised at how far Ford will bend to create a good experience for you.

Keep in mind that the Dealership is not technically Ford Motor Company, but an independent retail franchise. Your personal communication directly with the company should gain more traction for both you and your service department.

RR
Thank you for the detailed and helpful information. I'm going to pursue this route. Thanks!

Sponsored

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2022 F150 PowerBoost
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry to hear the bad news. Rapid Red has laid down the path to follow. I love how this community has so many great people.

I will be hoping that you get her fixed, and back in service, as opposed to bought back.

coolpixer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2008 S197, 2009 CTS, 1982 CJ7, 2015 C300, SuperCub
Being in the Engineering Change Mgt business for years for the OEM's my opinion is to wait it out.

Part number changes are common. Whatever happened to the harness they decided to purge the old parts and create a "clean point" with a new harness part number. This way they have complete visibilty in the pipeline to the mfg plant. Supplier of the harness has to react and needs time to have all the quality documents re-approved and have given ford a lead time for new harness.

I am sure this has been highly escalated and is being addressed internally. This is a big deal and your car is considered "dead on road" which raises all hands on deck to get resolved and get parts to you. I hope that helps. You may try to research the NTSA website to see if any recalls are being generated as well. Good luck. My question is why can't they do a direct buy (requisition) from the plant to service (dealer)? Obviously this issue has not shut down the current 2021 builds and a good harness is being currently being shipped.

IF you can get me a part number i can try to dig into it a little for you.

btown93

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Knight Industries 2000
based on OP information I think the part number is KR3Z-7C078-B
Current ETA 5/17/21

Last edited:
OP
OP
atxcobra

atxcobra

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT 500
Being in the Engineering Change Mgt business for years for the OEM's my opinion is to wait it out.

Part number changes are common. Whatever happened to the harness they decided to purge the old parts and create a "clean point" with a new harness part number. This way they have complete visibilty in the pipeline to the mfg plant. Supplier of the harness has to react and needs time to have all the quality documents re-approved and have given ford a lead time for new harness.

I am sure this has been highly escalated and is being addressed internally. This is a big deal and your car is considered "dead on road" which raises all hands on deck to get resolved and get parts to you. I hope that helps. You may try to research the NTSA website to see if any recalls are being generated as well. Good luck. My question is why can't they do a direct buy (requisition) from the plant to service (dealer)? Obviously this issue has not shut down the current 2021 builds and a good harness is being currently being shipped.

IF you can get me a part number i can try to dig into it a little for you.
I checked with my dealership, and btown93 is correct ... the new part number is [KR3Z-7C078-B]. Let me know if you can find any information. My dealer said they had already made a request to get one from the factory, and that was declined, with no ETA on when one would be available for me.

coolpixer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
ok. K is model year 2019, R3 is the model S550 Mustang, Z indicates a service part. Still trying to get more info. Odd that it indicates a 2019 part. Must belong to the general S550 family and not specific to DCT trans. The plant probably has no way to ship a single part that is not a finished assembly and get paid for it through their purchasing systems. I will see what else i can uncover.

Sponsored
OP
OP
atxcobra

atxcobra

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT 500
based on OP information I think the part number is KR3Z-7C078-B
Current ETA 5/17/21
Thanks for confirmation on the part number, that helps. My dealer confirmed that is the one. That said, they haven't gotten an ETA from for. 5/17 is tough to swallow, since the car has already been out of commission for a month. Let me know if you hear/find anything more. Thanks!

biminiLX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 and a few others
Another 5wks during driving season might make me escalate this. I hope they find you one man. Good luck.
-J

coolpixer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
My guy at ford who i hit up last week to check that part number for you has not responded to my email. Sorry. I hit a dead end. I truly hope you see a resolution soon.

OP
OP
atxcobra

atxcobra

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT 500
My guy at ford who i hit up last week to check that part number for you has not responded to my email. Sorry. I hit a dead end. I truly hope you see a resolution soon.
Thanks for the update, I appreciate it. I've been working with the dealership and with Ford Customer Success. The Customer Success person called me today, and said that although she's requesting an update, and the dealer submitted a "Copus?" request ... that there's no ETA on the part. I explained that I was concerned that I only owned the car for just under 4 weeks, and we're coming up on 4 weeks of the car being "dead". She told me I "just need to be patient." Somehow, I have a feeling that if I was not making payments on the car, or if my deposit check bounced ... they wouldn't be "patient" with me. At any rate, there's not much I can do until it's after 30 days, which is apparently one of the criteria for it to be considered for repurchase under most states' lemon law provisions.

All that said ... thank you for your help, I really appreciate it. Your information helped me get farther along with Ford and the dealer than I was able to on my own!
Sponsored