Sponsored

6G Mustang 10 speed?

DeColores

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DIB DD V6 w UltraGripICE THULE Chains
Is this Mustang designed to hold the future Ford/GM 10 speed transmission? I wonder how much bigger the challengers 8 speed is compare to their old 6?

Do you think if the 10 speed auto comes to the Mustang it will have to wait until next new design G7?

Thank you,

DeColores
Sponsored

L8APEX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 Raptor
Not happening. That many gears is not for performance, its to maximize fuel economy.

14MustangV6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Focus SE Hatchback
Not happening. That many gears is not for performance, its to maximize fuel economy.
Doesn't it help performance, too? The higher gears help the fuel economy, but the lower gears would increase acceleration, too.

I would be pretty shocked if the Mustang doesn't have an 8-speed or a 10-speed in a few years. The current transmissions are great, but Ford needs to keep up with the fuel economy gains other companies are seeing from these newer transmissions.

Sal JC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Doesn't it help performance, too? The higher gears help the fuel economy, but the lower gears would increase acceleration, too.

I would be pretty shocked if the Mustang doesn't have an 8-speed or a 10-speed in a few years. The current transmissions are great, but Ford needs to keep up with the fuel economy gains other companies are seeing from these newer transmissions.
Correct. For a road car, technically speaking, more gears are better provided there isn't a big penalty for weight and reliability.

Sponsored

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
Correct. For a road car, technically speaking, more gears are better provided there isn't a big penalty for weight and reliability.
Well..

More gears work well with turbos & a NEW 9/10 speed gearbox might be lighter. I think the new gearbox will be kinda special.

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
I don't think I've read a single report on a new 8/9 speed gearbox upgrade (whether that be the Challenger......any recent BMW........Aston Martin........even Land Rover) where the testers bemoan the additional gears.

If done right, it seems a win/win. Better fuel economy, lower emissions, better acceleration, higher top speed. And they have all improved the drive/feel of the car.

From press reports, the 10-speed is in development between Ford and GM now. I really hope the 6th gen Camaro uses it next year.........and then hopefully we'll see it in the Mustang for either the '17MY or the '18MY refresh.

Sal JC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
^ win/win is good, all for it. I'd even rather see an aluminum body/6 spd like the '15 F150. Takes 700lbs off, even half of that off the Mustang would be amazing. A 350 lb lose would probably do more for fuel economy & definitely more for performance. Having some extra lower gears helps acceleration but less weight helps everything.
Of course that would prabably cost too much cause either way the Mustang is a lower volume car than the rest so it's usually last to get anything. It definitely won't get a new transmission before the F150. Chrysler's been using the 8spd for five years and they're only now starting to put it in the Challenger and Charger/v8.

STAMPEDE

Threads
Reaction score
The extra gears means more closely spaced gearing which helps keep the engine at peak efficiency for better performance and mpgs.

FreddyG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4 wheels and a seat
I don't think I've read a single report on a new 8/9 speed gearbox upgrade (whether that be the Challenger......any recent BMW........Aston Martin........even Land Rover) where the testers bemoan the additional gears.

If done right, it seems a win/win. Better fuel economy, lower emissions, better acceleration, higher top speed. And they have all improved the drive/feel of the car.

From press reports, the 10-speed is in development between Ford and GM now. I really hope the 6th gen Camaro uses it next year.........and then hopefully we'll see it in the Mustang for either the '17MY or the '18MY refresh.
I'd bet that we'll see the Vette 8 speed in next gen Camaro's.
Sponsored