2021 GT500 battery trickle charging

Tennkid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500, 2007 Tacoma, 2001 Kawasaki ZRX 1200
Since the Shelby has been sitting for almost 2 months now wo being driven, thought i would put a trickle charger on her to keep the battery charged. I have used this same .75amp trickle charger on my truck and motorcycle and worked great. But when I hooked it up to the Shelby battery , the light on the charger never came on and I checked the voltage bf attaching (11.81 v) and left it on for 5 hours and rechecked the voltage and the same (11.81v). So, thought, well the charger has gone bad. So, disconnected it and hooked it up to my truck and the light on the charger instantly came on and I checked the voltage output and it was at 13.6v. So, does anyone know if there is something in the electrical circuitry of the Shelby that prevents you from trickle charging the battery? I connected the leads directly to the battery. Also, is there another charging port for the Shelby to charge the battery other than taking the cover off the battery (very simple process) and hooking to the terminals directly? Any advice is appreciated. One thought is that the 0.75amp charger is not enough for the Shelby battery due to its electronics but just a wild guess, since the charger works on my other vehicles.
Sponsored

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2022 F150 PowerBoost
Vehicle Showcase
Connect the positive to one of the three studs on the under the fuse panel cover and ground the negative the car not the battery and you should see it charge. This is how I and others have attached our trickle charger pigtails for plugging in at sleepy time.

AngelDeath

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
'20 Shelby GT500 Rapid Red / '01 Metallic Red C5 / '17 White Overland
I actually connect mine to the 2 nuts under the battery cover. But I used this Trickle charger: Duracell Battery Charger. I'd take a picture but car is at the dealership for warranty work.

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
Edit: Curious, is the GT500 battery currently in the car a lithium ion unit? Li batts often have a low voltage disconnect feature; they logically disconnect once the voltage gets so low, so as to keep the battery from running down completely. If this is the case, vendors have a reset procedure, allowing the owner to then connect a tender. If the battery is an AGM, lead acid type, my experience follows.

Some S550 owners do connect their tenders directly to the battery without issue.

I'm using a Ford Performance tender (CTEK). I connected mine to 1) the under hood fuse panel (+) and 2) the strut chassis mount (-); this mirrors the instructions (attached).

The connection affords me two benefits: it allows me to close the hood and ensures the Battery Management System (BMS) is involved.

On another attempt, I wonder if you'd see any difference if you re-attached your tender to the battery (+) and chassis mount (-) and let it sit a while.

The following threads have experiences and photos as to how others have attached their tenders to their under hood fuse panels.

Before installing a permanent connection, for the safety of you and the car, disconnect the existing cable connections at the battery.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/batter-tender-battery-connection.172738/

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/a-couple-of-questions-for-2020-gt500-owners.138221/

battery tender 005.jpg

battery tender 006.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP

Tennkid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500, 2007 Tacoma, 2001 Kawasaki ZRX 1200
Thanks to everyone (especially JMEO) for your quick response and accurate information. I hooked the trickle charger up this morning to the lower of the 3 studs under the fuse panel cover and the negative to the strut chassis mount and the charger started working instantly. Sorry, I have been reticent on not being on the forum for such a long time. I have been busy with my woodworking and other life activities (you know how it goes). And JMEO, I saw the pic of your wide body and it is absolutely STUNNING and beautiful to look at, congrats man.

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2022 F150 PowerBoost
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks to everyone (especially JMEO) for your quick response and accurate information. I hooked the trickle charger up this morning to the lower of the 3 studs under the fuse panel cover and the negative to the strut chassis mount and the charger started working instantly. Sorry, I have been reticent on not being on the forum for such a long time. I have been busy with my woodworking and other life activities (you know how it goes). And JMEO, I saw the pic of your wide body and it is absolutely STUNNING and beautiful to look at, congrats man.
I am happy that I helped. Installing your trickle charger this way ensures that your car's battery management system remains accurate, which is also super important.

No excuse necessary on life. Without going into details, I know more now than ever just how busy, important (and scary) life is outside of the forums. Coming here is my Graceland, so I try to do it often.

I appreciate the kind words about my car, much appreciated.
Sponsored