Sponsored

GT Clutch Effort?

Bryman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I'm coming from an Acura TSX that had the lightest clutch of all time. Never once had leg cramps even in heavy Chicago traffic. I seem to remember my 06' GT giving me a workout in this situation.

How's the effort on the 15'? Should I start hitting the gym now? ;)
Sponsored

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
Well I don't know the 2015 specifically, but I would doubt it's any different than the '11-14 GT's. I'll tell you one thing, my girlfriend's Focus has the lightest clutch that I can press down with my finger. When she drives my car I don't hear any complaints.

stilesg57

Threads
Reaction score
Well I don't know the 2015 specifically, but I would doubt it's any different than the '11-14 GT's. I'll tell you one thing, my girlfriend's Focus has the lightest clutch that I can press down with my finger. When she drives my car I don't hear any complaints.
NY Daily News review (at least I think it was that one) said that it's slightly heavier than the '14s. They said the '14 was a little light for their taste and the new one hits the sweet spot. An incredibly subjective take, of course, but it is what it is.

Thed

Future Pre-Runner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Miata Club
NY Daily News review (at least I think it was that one) said that it's slightly heavier than the '14s. They said the '14 was a little light for their taste and the new one hits the sweet spot. An incredibly subjective take, of course, but it is what it is.
Coming from a person that actuates clutches for a Ranger (really heavy...), an F-100 (SUPER heavy...), and just about every big rig out there (makes the F-100 look like bitch shit...) I think I can say the same thing. The 2014's clutch was too light. It was almost as light as my Volvo. For a performance car, I didn't like it.

Glad that they weighted it up.

Sponsored

pepperglenn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Mustang
Even though I'm buying an Ecoboost car I did test drive a GT and I thought the clutch effort was pretty mild. Not too bad at all. Doing it repetitively in traffic would probably get annoying though.

Still, nothing will ever beat the clutch pedal effort in my dad's old 67 Chevy Stepside Pickup. 3 on the tree, heavy duty clutch. Got stuck in traffic once with it... My leg was shaking after a few minutes

I'm coming from an Acura TSX that had the lightest clutch of all time. Never once had leg cramps even in heavy Chicago traffic. I seem to remember my 06' GT giving me a workout in this situation.

How's the effort on the 15'? Should I start hitting the gym now? ;)

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
I drove one about two weeks ago, the clutch is much lighter than my '11 and if I got one today the first thing I'd do is find the assist spring on the clutch pedal and yank it. The clutch was so light it made smooth driving more difficult than my '11.

Zombie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 LFG GT350
I drove one about two weeks ago, the clutch is much lighter than my '11 and if I got one today the first thing I'd do is find the assist spring on the clutch pedal and yank it. The clutch was so light it made smooth driving more difficult than my '11.
Agreed 100%, I always thought the '11 was difficult to drive smooth when it was new.

I think it is too light with little feel but I can live with that.
Yeah, I think its way too light. Its not terrible, just not my preference.

Sponsored

Mike G

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT
I drive a 2007 GT. Always thought my car has a very easy clutch to operate. Test drove the new Mustang last week. Definitely driver error, but I had trouble getting used to it. Much lighter, and it seemed like the engagement point was a lot higher up. Made a few rough shifts in 1st and 2nd at the start. I test drove a Camaro SS and 1lE over the weekend. No problems with either one of those. Compared to my car all three required very little effort.

908ssp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT/PP white
Can you take a peek under the dash to see if it has a similar assist spring to the S197?

Yup there is a helper spring under there. I took a few pictures of it looked like a pretty beefy spring too.

I am getting used to it. When I think of the pain in my leg trying to drive the Woodward cruse in 2013 with my GT/RR I am not sure I'll mess with. And if I do replace the clutch to handle the HP after SCing I'll put in a double disc to keep the effort down.

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
Yup there is a helper spring under there. I took a few pictures of it looked like a pretty beefy spring too.

I am getting used to it. When I think of the pain in my leg trying to drive the Woodward cruse in 2013 with my GT/RR I am not sure I'll mess with. And if I do replace the clutch to handle the HP after SCing I'll put in a double disc to keep the effort down.

What I specifically noticed was that at about 40-50% of travel all of a sudden the assist spring takes over too much. I feel it should have been a lighter spring so as to maintain a consistent effort from the top of travel to the bottom.

If/when you replace your clutch for something suitable for a blower, you should look at Mcleod's RST twin disc not just for torque capacity but also because it does not require much pedal effort. The one I drove was actually lighter than stock(2011, don't remember if the assist spring was there or not).

908ssp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT/PP white
What I specifically noticed was that at about 40-50% of travel all of a sudden the assist spring takes over too much. I feel it should have been a lighter spring so as to maintain a consistent effort from the top of travel to the bottom.

If/when you replace your clutch for something suitable for a blower, you should look at Mcleod's RST twin disc not just for torque capacity but also because it does not require much pedal effort. The one I drove was actually lighter than stock(2011, don't remember if the assist spring was there or not).
That is the exact clutch I had in mind my friend uses one and he couldn't be happier.
Sponsored