Sponsored

MirrorTap for Rexing V1

randotheking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GTPP
Anyone have a tutorial on how to install a MirrorTap for the Rexing V1 or pretty much any Dash Cam that uses Micro USB for power?

The taps I'm finding are wired for RJ11 or DC plug. I'm looking for plug & play, I can splice if needed but I'm not sure what I'm doing when it comes to car electronics/fuses.

I really don't want to take the pillars off and run a wire all the way down to the fuse box like most are doing with this adapter (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MH4ZVHO). Too much work when there is a power source at the mirror
Sponsored

hasimp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hunter
Vehicle(s)
2015 V6 - Oxford White w/ Blue Stripes
I just did this recently myself. I ordered this converter from eBay and attached a crimp pin to the wires using pliers and wrapped it in electrical tape. Works great and cost about $13 (with 8 pins left over), which is much cheaper than any actual products I could find.

OP
OP

randotheking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GTPP
I just did this recently myself. I ordered this converter from eBay and attached a crimp pin to the wires using pliers and wrapped it in electrical tape. Works great and cost about $13 (with 8 pins left over), which is much cheaper than any actual products I could find.
Excellent, did you order a specific size crimp pin? Which pin holes did you put them in?

hasimp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hunter
Vehicle(s)
Excellent, did you order a specific size crimp pin? Which pin holes did you put them in?
I purchased these crimp pins. It ended up being about $10 for 10 of them due to shipping and a $5 fee for a transaction under $5... I still have a bunch left over I could mail you for much cheaper if you don't want to buy 10 of them.

As for the holes the pins go in, they both go in the bottom row, with one going in the far right of that row and one going 3 spaces over from there. I can check which one is ground and which one is live when I get to my car because I don't remember off the top of my head. If you search "mirror tap" on this site you'll find the diagram in the forums somewhere, it's what I did before I just don't remember where it was.

OP
OP

randotheking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GTPP
I purchased these crimp pins. It ended up being about $10 for 10 of them due to shipping and a $5 fee for a transaction under $5... I still have a bunch left over I could mail you for much cheaper if you don't want to buy 10 of them.

As for the holes the pins go in, they both go in the bottom row, with one going in the far right of that row and one going 3 spaces over from there. I can check which one is ground and which one is live when I get to my car because I don't remember off the top of my head. If you search "mirror tap" on this site you'll find the diagram in the forums somewhere, it's what I did before I just don't remember where it was.
No problem I'll pick a couple up at the local hardware store.

I'm wondering how this won't drain the battery? I've seen some adapters mention protection.

Sponsored

hasimp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hunter
Vehicle(s)
No problem I'll pick a couple up at the local hardware store.

I'm wondering how this won't drain the battery? I've seen some adapters mention protection.
I don't think it drains the battery. The mirror is only powered when the car is on so as soon as it turns off my dash cam stops charging.

[email protected]

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick D
Vehicle(s)
red gt auto

I'd buy a few off you!

Sponsored
OP
OP

randotheking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GTPP

I bought these crimps but can't get them to fit
http://www.ebay.com/itm/45pack-Contact-Crimp-Pin-18-24-AWG-Tin/282316028596

They're 18 AWG and yours are 22...how the heck did you get it to fit?

hasimp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hunter
Vehicle(s)
OP
OP

randotheking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GTPP
Honestly I'm not even sure what the difference is, I know pretty much nothing about electrical components. Yours do look a little thicker than mine did though. The ones I had just slid right in no problem so I'm not sure what your problem could be.
Damn, I'm having trouble finding ones that are thinner... Tried searching for 10, 12, 14 AWG but I also don't know what I'm talking about lol

If you still have some I'll buy

hasimp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hunter
Vehicle(s)
Damn, I'm having trouble finding ones that are thinner... Tried searching for 10, 12, 14 AWG but I also don't know what I'm talking about lol

If you still have some I'll buy
I still have 3 left, so if you want any of them they're just $1 each. They work great with our mirrors, so I guess I just got lucky when I ordered them.

BeauxXL1200

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ralph
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP Ruby Red
I still have 3 left, so if you want any of them they're just $1 each. They work great with our mirrors, so I guess I just got lucky when I ordered them.
Hunter - I just ordered the Rexing V1 and I'd like to power it thru the mirror like you guys are doing.

So I think I'll order the pins like you did to make sure I get the correct size.

And like ya'll, I know little to nothing about electronics.

I'm assuming the two wires that you connect into the mirror slots with the pins are just a positive and negative wire from the V1? And these are the only two wires you need to hook up?

And when you start the car, do you have to turn on the camera for it to start recording? Or does it start recording automatically? I'm assuming you have to turn it on, but it would be nice if it just came on on its own.

Thanks for entertaining my questions. :cheers:

***. Just re-read the thread and realized I also need to order the converter that you used.
Sponsored