Sponsored

2015 Mustang GT will get line lock standard

StangFX

UPDATED WITH VIDEO:

Announced in Charlotte....From the MCA 50th Anniversary Dinner Presentation:

DSC00490_resize.jpg

Commence burnouts: 2015 Mustang GT gets standard line lock

As if the Ford Mustang GT wasn't enough of a tire-shredding menace already, Dave Pericak, the car's chief engineer, has announced in Charlotte that the all-new 2015 edition gets electronic line lock as standard equipment. It'll be part of the Track Apps suite, which already includes features like launch control, an acceleration timer, and an accelerometer

The line lock feature will let weekend warriors properly warm up the rears at the dragstrip without having to install a mechanical line lock, then flip over to launch control and, you know, dust the Camaro in the adjacent lane. We can only imagine the battles between engineering and legal in getting this through to the final product, so kudos to Pericak and company for winning out.

But there's still more food for thought.

While the current 2014 Mustang owner's manual clearly states that all Track Apps features are "for off-road use only", line lock adds a new wrinkle. This is a textbook racing feature, and the 2014 Ford Warranty Guide is unequivocal about what happens if you race your car:

Page 6: "These implied warranties do not apply at all if you use your vehicle for business or commercial purposes. In addition, the implied warranty of fitness for a particular purpose does not apply if your vehicle is used for racing, even if the vehicle is equipped for racing."

Page 12: "WHAT IS NOT COVERED UNDER THE NEW VEHICLE LIMITED WARRANTY? ...misuse of the vehicle, such a driving over curbs, overloading, racing or using the vehicle as a permanent stationary power source"

So here's the question: if you use the line lock and bring a 2015 GT in for warranty service, can a tech scan to check for its usage and then deny coverage? It's one of those gray areas that could either be a non-issue or, in the worst case, a GT-R style debacle for owners.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/go/futu...ack-apps?src=spr_TWITTER&spr_id=1459_53909354
http://www.roadandtrack.com/go/future-cars/2015-ford-mustang-GT-gets-standard-electronic-line-lock-as-part-of-track-apps?src=spr_TWITTER&spr_id=1459_53909354
line lock.jpg
Sponsored

aspensilver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2006 MBenz SLK55 AMG - '97 BMW 540I - 2010 Audi S4
So set up for racing, but no warranty for racing? Can someone clarify what they mean?

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
That's a tricky term there. For road course events I'd say that any event where you are not competing for position should not count as racing. So HPDE, AutoX, time trials, etc should still be covered. Any event with wheel-to-wheel jockeying might not be covered (due to the higher chance of damage from fighting for position).

Drag racing is interesting because you don't have battles with another car for position on track, so maybe it should still be covered, but then again, it's called Drag RACING.

Not sure how I would try and argue that as a potential customer. Drag racing is probably quite a bit harder on the drivetrain than a road course, due to the launches, but a road course has to be harder on the engine and everything else.

Hopefully the car is just built (Ford) tough and it won't be a significant issue.

-T

Dirk McGurck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Nissan 370Z Touring with Sport
There are so many other things that I would rather have standard than this.

Free Agent

2015 GT Premium
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Prem.
So just claim you were doing a burnout in your driveway. Problem solved. ;)

Sponsored

JohnZiraldo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
86 Mustang GT Conv., 11 Edge Sport
Dave Parisak officially announced the Line Lock feature on all 2015 Mustang GTs at the MCA 50th Anniversary dinner celebration on April 19. When Line Lock is set on, it locks the front brakes only for 15 seconds then releases for launch. David also announced that the 2015 GT with PP IS faster than a Boss 302 on the track.

RTD

Threads
Reaction score

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
Um... You can no lift shift in Mustangs now, pretty much since the first Mustang. No Lift Shift and "Powershifting" are the same. If your lifting off the gas during the 1/4 mile, your doing it wrong. It takes practice...

Sponsored

tbonez3858

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bat mobile
No kidding. Starting with no lift shift and auto blip.

^^^^This. I will literally never use this feature. I would live to know what percentage that will use it. I think is a bone for the crowd that is angry IRS is on the seen.

BONESTOCK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Lightning, 87 GT
^^^^This. I will literally never use this feature. I would live to know what percentage that will use it. I think is a bone for the crowd that is angry IRS is on the seen.
I'll use it. Along with the solid rear axle swap, when that becomes available.

likeaboss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Corvette Z51
Very cool but it will be interesting to see how they handle it from a warranty perspective.