Sponsored

GT350R Over the top stripe/border finish?

FogcitySF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW E90 M3 | GT350R | Porsche 911 GT3 RS (991)
Have seen conflicting posts on the finish of the stock stripe material. Are both the large stripe and small edge stripe (e.g. black with red outer stripe) both matte or is the large stripe matte and the small edge one gloss? Looking at some aftermarket options and wanted to retain as much of the 2017 factory look as possible. I have a magnetic grey with no stripe. Thx in advance.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Mr. Adair

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT3
Have seen conflicting posts on the finish of the stock stripe material. Are both the large stripe and small edge stripe (e.g. black with red outer stripe) both matte or is the large stripe matte and the small edge one gloss? Looking at some aftermarket options and wanted to retain as much of the 2017 factory look as possible. I have a magnetic grey with no stripe. Thx in advance.
FWIW, I switched out the stock 1 piece Blue factory stripe on my Oxford White R to a Matte black stripe from Big Worm Graphics. Yes the factory stripe is one piece, but IMO it is not a very good quality vinyl. They are also stupid expensive at around $1500! The Big Worm stripes are $350, better quality, fast shipping and great instructions and service. The factory Blue stripe had almost a pinkish tone to the red outer stripe where the Big Worm main stripe is a nice Matte black (perfectly matches all of the cars trim pieces) with a nice bright red outer edge that matches the Brembo caliper color much better. The outer edge is a separate piece however. My vinyl guy said it was the nicest stripe kit he has ever seen. Perfectly sized and cut sections and much better 3M quality vinyl.

https://www.bigwormgraphix.com/2015-17-mustang-graphix.html

Mj

PencilGeek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R HR278, 2008 BMW M3
My factory stripe was matte black on Avalanche Gray. The red is glossy, and slightly raised over the matte black. This implies the red stripe is a separate overlay and not part of the matte black stripe. I also priced out the factory stripes. $3163 from the Ford dealership Morgan Hill.

I have two sets of spare stripes from big worm. I bought them because I was thinking of removing the factory stripes, clear bra, then reapplying the new ones. We ended up matte finish clear bra over the stripes instead of removing them. It came out flawless. That means I still have the two spare sets: one matte black, the other matte charcoal. The matte black is darker than the factory matte black. I'd be willing to sell you either set for $100 if we could meet in person and bury the hatchet from the past.

Congrats on finding the 350R...BTW. Since we both come from the M3 and looks like we both still own them, I'm curious what you think of the comparison.

5.Oh Crush

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ra
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
My factory stripe was matte black on Avalanche Gray. The red is glossy, and slightly raised over the matte black. This implies the red stripe is a separate overlay and not part of the matte black stripe. I also priced out the factory stripes. $3163 from the Ford dealership Morgan Hill.

I have two sets of spare stripes from big worm. I bought them because I was thinking of removing the factory stripes, clear bra, then reapplying the new ones. We ended up matte finish clear bra over the stripes instead of removing them. It came out flawless. That means I still have the two spare sets: one matte black, the other matte charcoal. The matte black is darker than the factory matte black. I'd be willing to sell you either set for $100 if we could meet in person and bury the hatchet from the past.

Congrats on finding the 350R...BTW. Since we both come from the M3 and looks like we both still own them, I'm curious what you think of the comparison.
you mentioned the red stripe portion on the outside is raised. In your research, did you see that the red portion could be ordered separate? Do you think the red portion was put on top of a portion of the stripe?

Thanks. :cheers:

Sponsored

Spacebird

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350R
The stripes are one piece - there is not a separate part number for the red pinstripe. The pinstripe is raised as it's actually painted on the vinyl.

OP
OP

FogcitySF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW E90 M3 | GT350R | Porsche 911 GT3 RS (991)
Thx for the feedback and the offer; I actually ordered the black/white stripes yesterday afternoon via my installer.

Sponsored