Sponsored

Detailed look at the 2015 Mustang's I4 Ecoboost Engine

GTsquid

A nice little writeup from MD:

attachment.jpg

While traditional performance enthusiasts might not consider any engine in the Mustang besides a V8, the big powertrain news for 2015 is the addition of a 2.3-liter EcoBoost engine. At this point Ford has been relatively quiet about specific details for the all new four-cylinder mill, only revealing that it will have more than 305 horsepower and more than 300 lb-ft torque. In fact, Ford hasn’t even released a real photo of the EcoBoost engine (or any engine in the 2015, for that matter).

However, keen-eyed visitors to the Ford booth at the Detroit Auto Show might have spotted a cutaway version of the Mustang’s 2.3-liter EcoBoost engine, highlighting the overall design and new technologies used. We were able to photograph the engine in detail, and we’ve posted some of the highlights below.

attachment.jpg

Ford has promised that the EcoBoost engine in the Mustang will provide more usable horsepower and torque than the base V6. “This EcoBoost engine delivers where a Mustang driver expects it to, with a broad, flat torque curve that pours out when you stand on it for easy passing or hustling down a twisty road,” said Dave Pericak, Ford Mustang chief engineer.

attachment.jpg

A high-pressure die-cast aluminum cylinder block is used featuring a structural ladder frame and integrated main bearing caps to ensure longevity and durability.

attachment.jpg

Ford implemented a lightweight composite intake manifold that both saves weight and provides excellent air flow to the cylinder head.

attachment.jpg

Along with the use of direct injection, the twin independent variable camshaft timing (Ti-VCT) allows the 2.3-liter turbocharged engine to produce more power and torque while remaining as fuel efficient as possible. The Ti-VCT allows the engine to retard the timing of both the intake and exhaust camshafts independently, particularly at low rpm, to improve both output and efficiency.

attachment.jpg

This is Ford's first use of a twin-scroll turbocharger system, which utilizes two separate inlets for exhaust gasses. The dual exhaust streams prevents turbo lag in the lower portion of the power band while improving top end output.

attachment.jpg

The integrated exhaust manifold improves efficiency as well, helping to move air quickly and eliminating lag from the turbocharger.

attachment.jpg

Durable forged steel connecting rods are used along with a forged steel crankshaft. The high strength 9.5:1 compression pistons feature a low-friction skirt coating and cooling jets for improved efficiency, output and reliability.

attachment.jpg

The 2015 Mustang's EcoBoost engine is efficient enough that it only needs oil changes every 10,000 miles, and the deep-sump aluminum oil pan ensures oil delivery even during spirited driving.
Sponsored

Cosmos

Threads
Reaction score
Great pics...nice tech. Thanks for the post.

Now, all Ford needs to do is add two more cylinders to make that engine a gorgeous 3.5 inline with exhaust notes to match. I just can't bring myself to put a raspy-sounding (likely) 4-pot in my 2015, so I'll opt for the V6.

FOURCED

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SVO ~800HP
Nice.
Finally, a little info!
Bad choice on the 6, Cosmos.
Has anyone ever wondered why "in-line 4" motorcycles sound so awesome?

Nate408

Threads
Reaction score
I completely agree with Cosmos: Supra, old M3 / M5, M1, old Skyline to name a few awesome sounding I-6 cars. Not to bash the eco-stang but I've never heard a 4-banger that sounded as good as any of the cars I just mentioned.

Sponsored

Whiskey11

Kill ALL the Cones!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red Base GT/PP
I completely agree with Cosmos: Supra, old M3 / M5, M1, old Skyline to name a few awesome sounding I-6 cars. Not to bash the eco-stang but I've never heard a 4-banger that sounded as good as any of the cars I just mentioned.
This is one area where the 2.3L EB will have a downfall... I expect it to sound like a slightly throatier 2.0L EB. However, if Ford channeled any of the 2.3L Lima motor it will be a solid sounding car. I really enjoy the sound of the 2.3L Lima, with or without boost. It's a really coarse, throaty motor and it just sounds good.

[ame]

Or, if you want, here is one in autocross form, kinda hard to hear the motor with the straight cut gear whine, but it's there:

[ame]

Lots of other videos on that channel to give you a better idea.

Potrillo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 DIB GT Premium
Has anyone ever wondered why "in-line 4" motorcycles sound so awesome?
Um, the only I4 motorcycle that sounds awesome is the crossplane R1.

The only time I liked the sound of a generic I4 motorcycle motor is when listening to Moto2 races. They sounded a bit like WWII fighter planes.

eric n

HNIC/Head Ninja in Charge
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ericnolan.com
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
16 Shelby RR B&W stripes GT350 G0249
Nice information. I don't see myself being satisfied with a 4, it does seem like a very respectable engine for some buyers. Many years ago in one of my infrequent trips away from the mustang brand I bought a new 91 Toyota MR2 Turbo. It made 200 hp which seemed amazing for a 2.0 liter motor. TIMES THEY IS A CHANGIN'!

Cosmos

Threads
Reaction score
...Has anyone ever wondered why "in-line 4" motorcycles sound so awesome?
I never owned an I4 motorcycle, but I sure loved the sounds (i.e. little to none) of my two 3 cylinder water cooled Suzukis and five 4 & 6 cylinder opposed GoldWings...no vibes either, contrary to every I4 automobile engine I've owned since 1962.

Josh Painter

Threads
Reaction score
Website
the-12th-fan.com
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2006 Ford Fusion SEL
Um, the only I4 motorcycle that sounds awesome is the crossplane R1.

The only time I liked the sound of a generic I4 motorcycle motor is when listening to Moto2 races. They sounded a bit like WWII fighter planes.
I had a '73 Honda 750 Four with an Action Fours 4 into 2 aftermarket exhaust system on it. Sounded like a Porsche 911.

Sponsored

Cosmos

Threads
Reaction score
As a DIYer oil/filter changer, I would be thrilled to note in pics #3 & #9 above the location and thread-end upright position of the oil filter, especially for pre-filling the filter prior to installation.

86GT

Threads
Reaction score
Can anyone make out what trim that turbo is? It's definitely a Honeywell but I can't tell anything off of it from there.

DBCooper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
the "10,000 mile oil change" is very interesting to me. The Ti-VCT runs on oil pressure. I would think they would be encouraging people to keep their oil changed...

What allows them to be able to be able to go longer between changes?

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
the "10,000 mile oil change" is very interesting to me. The Ti-VCT runs on oil pressure. I would think they would be encouraging people to keep their oil changed...

What allows them to be able to be able to go longer between changes?

An 8-quart capacity is what helped the 5.0 since 2011. This isn't anything new, with modern synthetic oils or even synthetic blends they don't need to be changed nearly as often. Most people probably won't go a full 10,000 miles between changes but those who do aren't putting their engines in any significant risk.
Sponsored