Sponsored

2016 Mustang Cobra R

SLVRBACK

Tuna on white, no crust
Threads
Reaction score
attachment.jpg

In a span of less than 10 years Ford gave us a Cobra R model three times on three different body style Mustangs. Each iteration of the now legendary R model was limited production, and a hot commodity. Three years after the last model we also received the Terminator Cobra, the parting shot of the aging Fox underpinnings, and at the time the most powerful Mustang ever built, not to mention the first to leave the Ford plant with a supercharger. 1993

Former SVT chief, John Coletti the man behind all three Cobra R models as well as the 1993 Cobra, and the Terminator project had said SVT would only build a Cobra R when and if they deemed the car necessary. I have to admit that after the Terminator, SVT followed with some amazing cars, as did the rest of the Mustang team. The track bred BOSS (not an SVT product), and the freakishly powerful 13-14 GT500 stand on their own. With Chevrolet adding the outlandishly priced Z/28 Camaro to their lineup, and promising a super light, supercharged Z06 ā€˜Vette, maybe itā€™s time Ford struck back with a track oriented Mustang of their own, I think itā€™s time for a new Cobra R, so hereā€™s my wish-list for a 2016 Cobra R.

We keep hearing rumors of a twin turbo Coyote variant coming, code named ā€œVoodooā€. Iā€™d speculate that this engine is destined to make it to the Cobra Jet for 2015 and maybe the crate engine line as a very expensive crate package. While the Cobra R has traditionally been naturally aspirated, in the 15 years thatā€™s passed since the last version Ford has shown a love for forced induction.

So I think the Voodoo engine fits the idea of a Cobra R for a new generation. With a name like Voodoo, it better make at least 650 hp. Such an engine in a lightweight Mustang needs a 0-60 mph time of no slower than 3.5 seconds as well. Supercar territory yes, but this is a halo car, more than just a hopped up Mustang. The turbo system should push the boundaries of NVH standards, with wastegates that growl and moan like an angry caged beast, an on-boost rush that sounds like the warning of an Egyptian Cobra about to strike itā€™s pray, and the hiss of a blow-off valve that will get everyoneā€™s attention. Programmable boost profiles are a must. The Cobra R should have electronically controllable wastegates that the driver can adjust across several levels of boost. None of this overboost nonsense from the Focus ST, if owners want the maximum available power, they get it.

Handling
Cobra Rā€™s have always been about track prowess, and cornering capability, and a new one should be no different. Adjustable dampers should be a no-brainer, but make them electronically adjustable from the driver seat via the switches on the dash or steering wheel. Infinite adjustability would be great but Iā€™d settle for three options, sport, track and competition, ā€“ of course competition mode would be where Iā€™d spend all my time. I might even put the NASCAR or Formula One logo next to the competition mode icon, just to add an heir of absurdity to this setting, and enforce how this mode was for serious driving only.

For the Cobra Jet program Ford called upon some of the best names in drag racing to consult, design, and provide parts. Why not do the same for a limited run Cobra R, someone like Kenny Brown or Maximum Motorsports could certainly design and build a superior suspension system that is track oriented, it is after all what he does for a living. Give one of these outfits some parameters to work in and a contract to design and build the parts. Everything should be made of better materials than a tubular steel, aluminum, even titanium.

Weight
Weight is always a concern, and in the past the Cobra R has ditched sound deadener, air conditioning, stereo, power door locks, and power windows, in favor of grace and agility over passenger perks. The thrill is after all in the sounds the engine makes, and the ability to clip apexes at incredible speeds. Iā€™m all for this, Chevy owners can have their optional air conditioning, and sound system on the Z/28, with the Cobra R program the exhaust note from the side pipes located just behind the driverā€™s door would be the only sound system offered.

Carbon fiber and aluminum could also be utilized to a greater extent throughout the car. Iā€™m thinking carbon fiber seat structures similar in appearance to the current Recaros, but tighter bolstering, optional racing harnesses for driver and passenger, and ditching the rear seat in favor of a X-brace like on the BOSS 302 Laguna Seca.

Styling
The Cobra R has always been set apart from the pack, I took some time to do my own rendering for this story, although Iā€™m no graphic artist I didnā€™t think it came out too bad. I thought the car should be set apart, but feature some subtlety too, everything done would be in the name of function.

From the restyled hood, to the rear wing, if I designed the car, it would sit lower, on 19-inch wheels with 15-inch discs, and would wear revised front and rear fascias. A chin-spoiler, and taller rear wing would also be part of the aero package. Brake cooling ducts would replace the front fog lights, just like on the 2000 model. Scoops located in the front fenders and quarter panels would redirect airflow to cool the brakes, and keep the car on the ground. A NACA duct in the quarter glass could either provide fresh air to the driver, or feed a rear differential cooler. A heat extractor style hood, shaved roof antenna, and side exit exhaust would round out the package of functional changes. Iā€™d also only offer the car in a unique shade of red, not present in the rest of the Mustang lineup, just to make it stand out.

Price it at $59,000, making it a full 20-large less than itā€™s competitor, theyā€™d sell out before the orders were officially taken. Just imagine a more powerful, more capable car, thatā€™s a bargain by comparison.
While SVT hasnā€™t mumbled anything about a new Cobra R, one could easily make the case that the Mustang should maintain itā€™s position of superiority on the track and street. The muscle car wars are far from over, theyā€™re just evolving, and now is the time for a new Cobra R -are you listening Ford?

http://www.stangtv.com/features/edi...n-now-is-the-time-for-a-2016-mustang-cobra-r/
What do you guys think about this?

Its a mere "Wish" at this point, but I like where this guy is coming from.
Sponsored

Diver Down

Threads
Reaction score
I think it looks dated with the rear spoiler and the exhaust coming out the side by the rear tire is strange.

stangray11

I don't like the rendering but I'm all for the idea of bringing back the Cobra R but it wouldnt be 2016. I just don't think Ford can go too many years without bringing in the S550-based GT500. Any all out track focused SE that would be extremely limited volume would probbaly wait until at least a few years into the cycle.

noldevin

Threads
Reaction score
I think the specs you listed would cost a pretty penny more than 59k, especially with carbon fiber.

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
I think the specs you listed would cost a pretty penny more than 59k, especially with carbon fiber.

My thoughts exactly. With a twin turbo engine, expect prices to exceed the current GT500 at $65k+.

I'd take all of that but with a max-performance N/A Coyote decendant at 500hp. The standard Cobra(if there needs to be a name to replace the GT500) can take the HP crown with the twin-turbo engine and be the tire shredding monster, but the Cobra R needs to be the track monster and having stupid horsepower would be counterproductive for the Mustang.

Sponsored

S550Boss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350; 2018 Focus RS
Nice work, but the render is wrong. We've already seen the car, and it doesn't have the fake side scoop, side exhaust (which is pointless anyway), and the front fender air exhaust is different. The car is all but done, the testing is done, only the engine remains to be finished.
And anybody that keeps talking about "twin turbos" on a V-8 should also explain how that would be packaged in the already cramped engine compartment.

wproctor411

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 GT
This would be a great idea.
The 2000 Cobra-Rs are still bad ass.

All we know right now is that Ford has a lot of options.

Bullit, Boss, Mach 1, Cobra, Cobra R, Shelby GT350, GT500, SVO, and maybe I missed a few.

Off topic but the 2015 has Saleen written all over it...or is it just me? I would like to see what Saleen is going to do here. They usually do a good job on exterior styling and performance but when Steve sold the company, and then bought it back, it didn't come across to well for many.

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
Once Upon a Time... In a land during the late 60's... The Earth shook and crumbled...

For a great injustice had been done in the vast automotive history. The Shelby and Ford Gods ascended to the Earth, and on that day, in the midst of battle, the Gods SPLIT in anger, the Cobra and the GT500...

SPLIT forever and ever... and till the end of time...

...or so it was thought....

Enthusiast raged and they themselves split in tween. There was the side of the Cobra, they were the way forward, the new, the modern...

Then returned the GT500 and all of it's followers, one by one, they returned to their roots.

Shortly after the turn of the Century, the Shelby and Ford Gods had made amends, the great rift began to heal... Flowers grew, sun shined and skin flutes played in unison...

the Cobra and the GT500 had once again been reunited... Thus, the Second Age of Performance was born. The badge and nameplate were once again whole...

AND THEY WILL NEVER BE SPLIT AGAIN...

THE END

MPH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
For the love of god can we do away with the rear vents and air scoops already. Is this a new rear engined Mustang or are they trying to vent fresh air to the kidnap victims in the trunk?

Fox9350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 5.0 GT (former car)
Don't like the render but love the idea. And wouldn't worry about price, this is an exclusive build for exclusive wallets.

Sponsored

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
Whoever photo-shopped that car needs a lesson is reality. Things on cars are NOT there for the sake of it.

The rear window air scoop is so utterly laughable.. and obnoxious.

Fox9350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 5.0 GT (former car)
Am I the only one kind of itching for SVT to put their name directly back on the car and be done with Shelby already? I love the modern GT500 and it was an important model that sets a 'supercar' benchmark for Mustang in terms of numbers and capability (for a 55k price). No I don't think it compares to supercars 2,3 and 4x the price. But it is head and shoulders above all other Mustangs. I'm just kind of sick of it and want to get back to the SVT cobra...

JonnyMustang

Mustang Enthusiast
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Flex EB
Am I the only one kind of itching for SVT to put their name directly back on the car and be done with Shelby already? I love the modern GT500 and it was an important model that sets a 'supercar' benchmark for Mustang in terms of numbers and capability (for a 55k price). No I don't think it compares to supercars 2,3 and 4x the price. But it is head and shoulders above all other Mustangs. I'm just kind of sick of it and want to get back to the SVT cobra...
Once the Shelby generation is obsolete, I'm sure they will. Till then, ride that gravy train!

BoostedSVT

You are not alone. Special Vehicle Team has a nice catch to it and I have hoped for a long time now that SVT would catch on as a brand worldwide. Ford really has not put its weight behind it however.
Sponsored