Sponsored

Project 4Horsemen

yomamma219

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB Premium Pony Pack "4HORSEMEN"
Been lurking on the forum for a few weeks now trying not to spam every thread with my excitement. Finally decided to start a build journal on here as I've been jones-ing to add a little something else to my mustang in between my big upgrades, but can't figure out what and would love some hive mind input. Also as a way to keep track of my build list and review/comment on parts as I want to/am asked to.

I am calling it project 4Horsemen. Beside the apocalyptic references I hope my tongue in cheek references to it being the 4 cylinder mustang is obvious.

Pictures will be added here later though I have 1 on my profile. So onto the juicy details:

Car: 2016 Mustang Ecoboost Premium with Pony Package
Color: Shadow Black
Purchased: January 2017, Used, with 8600 miles on it
Purpose: Daily Driver/ Casual Track car if I can figure out how to get involved with some AutoCross or similar.

Mods List in roughly chronological order

Mods Installed so far:
35% Tint
Modern Billet Black Retro Shift knob with tri-bar pony logo
Raxiom Stage 2 Interior Lighting
Raxiom Tail Light Sequencer
MMD Rear Window Louvers
Husky Weather Beater Floor Mats
C&L Bypass Valve Adapter
Magnaflow 12158 Muffler based "custom" exhaust (details to follow)
ZL1 "Premium" Rock Guards Front & Rear
Wheels: Vossen CV3-R, Gloss Graphite, F:20x9 +20 ; R:20x10.5 +45
Tires: Nitto NT555 G2, F:275/35/20 ; R:315/35/20, (Yes it is stupid big in the back)
Front Turn-signal / Rear Side marker tint from Anchor Room
Replacement (used) factory deck-lid with a blacked out pony emblem from the previous owner. (Batman emblem still to come)

Mods Purchased but not installed yet:
Cervini look-a-like quarter window louvers - Probably won't install because they are cheap ebay junk and look like junk and fit like junk

Mods Planned:
Suspension; Some sort of lowered setup, Likely the Ford Performance Track Pack, Eibach seems to be the next best options. I would love to have airbags but that isn't in my budget from what I have seen. I need to do more research to find out what's right for me an am looking for advice/suggestions.

Spoiler; I now plan to go with the JR3Z6344210CA off the 2018 PP1. Just am waiting for some aftermarket variants or the OEM price to drive significantly as $1000+ for some plastic seems excessive.

Protective clear vinyl: black paint is already getting chipped up badly

Steering Wheel, something like the GT350 one

Catch can: everyone says the EB needs it....

Tune; holding off on this for now as I am not sure if I trust the engine/want to risk the 100k powertrain warranty. Best option I have seen for my needs is the FP Procal tune though.

Hood; not dead-set on getting a hood but i feels its a good add-on to make the car more unique, this likely won't be anytime soon unless a good daily driver one comes up for a discount.

Batman emblem for new rear decklid, just for fun

Possibly some quarter window vinyl since louvers won't fit the pony pack due to the chrome trim

Might paint the factory Pony Pack grille black, or get an aftermarket CS grille

Mod Dreams:
Wrap
Widebody Kit
Air bags
Active exhaust (might settle on a cutout)

Mods Removed
Green Aluminum Tire Valve Stem Caps - They stayed with my factory wheels which I will use for winter

When I bought the car I fully intended on putting about $5k of mods into it. So far I believe I have spent about $3.5k. This was how far under the top of my car budget I was when I purchased my car. I also am fully aware cars are depreciating assets and mods don't add much, if any, re-sale value. I figure the smarter long term move is to put my spare change into my house fund anyway. As I am still in an apartment, I don't have access to a garage and my tool selection is fairly limited. Therefore I plan on outsourcing anything that requires me getting underneath the car, basically.

So there's the first entry to my journal. Hope to get some good conversations started with people. If anyone has any suggested smaller mods (thinking cosmetic) I am definitely open to ideas.

Journal Entries to Come:
Product reviews/comments: some good, some bad
Discussions/speculations: (first to be the prolonged bypass valve blow-off while driving on the highway)
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP

yomamma219

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pictures

Here are some pictures

Stock
IMG_20170124_175328-UPLOAD.jpg

Current as of 6/13/17
20170530_190440_UPLOAD.jpg

IMG_20170602_123606_UPLOAD.jpg

IMG_20170531_204934_UPLOAD.jpg

OP
OP

yomamma219

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Also I updated the initial post to reflect my addition of wheel/tires and rock guards/mudflaps

Still loving this car to death. The larger tire diameter might be warranting a tune in my future though.

Spykexx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Prem M6, 2019 Charger Scat Pack Plus
Hmmm having highway issues with BPV? Once I went to the DV+ and went VTA i solved most of that. I can't hear mine whatsoever on the highway.

OP
OP

yomamma219

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ah-ha finally someone commenting on my build thread! Thanks.

There was a thread somewhere on here where I discussed the highway extended blow off. I believe its just programming from the controller for fuel economy purposes and to keep the turbo spinning.

I dont really notice it anymore though. I recently saw something on the new ford GT and that it keeps its turbos spinning for performance purposes. So I am pretty sure the EBs just do the same.

Sponsored

Dirty-EB-Chicago

V.I.P Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EcoBoost (Ingot Silver)
I WANT YOUR WHEELS

Dirty-EB-Chicago

V.I.P Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EcoBoost (Ingot Silver)
OP
OP

yomamma219

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
[MENTION=21048]Dirty-EB-Chicago[/MENTION] thanks man I've been loving them. I definitely went a little too big in the rear with the 315/35/20 tires but I like the bit of rake it gave the overall car.
[MENTION=26348]Spykexx[/MENTION] unfortunately I don't think I am going to paint these wheels purple (at least while they are still in good condition) because I am far too afraid of messing up the finish. I kept the factory wheels though which I plan to use in winter as temps sometimes do get below 45 in NC which, as I understand, is the lower limit for summer tires. [MENTION=7421]chrisvr6[/MENTION] did a mock up in the photoshop thread of my old wheels in purple and I thought it looks good enough that I may plasti-dip mine that color before I put them on for winter. They are already kind of rough so I am less concerned with messing up their finish. If not purple it'll probably be orange or copper that I dip them in.

Instead of green spots on my wheels I could dip my louver green with the purple wheels and then I'd just have the barney edition mustang. :thumbsup:

Next mod is going to be tinting the rear side markers and front turn signals. I have the pre-cut tint I just have to find the time/patience/confidence to go and install it as I haven't tinted before.

Then I will be applying the batman rear logo. I just have yet to find a emblem I love. I found one guy that does custom emblems but they are that resin type (like the front BMW emblem or Dodge emblems, which he had done a lot of) and I am not sure how that would look replacing the rear horse.

Thoughts on the batman emblem? I already bought a whole new decklid panel because I didn't want to mess up my factory one plus they seem easy enough to swap that once I get bored of playing batman I can go back to factory.

Sponsored

Spykexx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
[MENTION=28999]yomamma219[/MENTION] I'd use this one.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTE3-4xGU_anJ3__yu9xCwM1opPN-fJPUTZjTqgTBDimzV5wdtmyl9Zgw.jpg

OP
OP

yomamma219

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
[MENTION=28999]yomamma219[/MENTION] I'd use this one.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTE3-4xGU_anJ3__yu9xCwM1opPN-fJPUTZjTqgTBDimzV5wdtmyl9Zgw.jpg
I would consider it because it is simultaneously creepy and hilarious and made me say what the actual FiretrUCK outloud, but I would feel like I'm in the same class as the guy at work who has a dick-butt sticker on his WRX. And I don't want to feel like a dick-butt WRX owner. :lol:

OP
OP

yomamma219

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So I decided to upload some of the more recent logs I have. I create these using a cheap bluetooth OBD reader and the Torque Pro App for android which I love. They will be at the bottom.

There are a couple that show the Knock PID throwing a value which is something that concerns me a bit. I believe it is normal since it only happens sometimes and it seems to be at higher Revs/Speed.

Also on my most recent log I noticed that when I let off the throttle to slow down significantly the AFR commanded drops to about a flat 12.5. Anyone know if this is correct?

I like looking at all the data and graphing it and what not, but since I dont have a tune or FMIC or CAI, I don't know what benefit I can pull from the data other than my own driving habits.

Figured I would share in case anyone else was interested in comparing their data against this. If anyone has any tips for me in general or knows the best way to configure Torque for logging feel free to message me. You may notice some difference in the logs and that is because I am still playing around with the Torque settings to try and get the best data.

View attachment trackLog-2017-Jun-29_21-35-08-CLEANEDUP.zip
View attachment trackLog-2017-Jun-29_09-47-04-CLEANEDUP.zip
View attachment trackLog-2017-Jun-28_20-42-20-CLEANEDUP.zip
View attachment trackLog-2017-Jun-28_08-47-34-CLEANEDUP.zip
View attachment trackLog-2017-Jun-25_17-49-33-CLEANEDUP.zip
View attachment trackLog-2017-Jun-18_19-48-27-CLEANEDUP.zip
View attachment trackLog-2017-Jun-08_16-00-58-CLEANEDUP.zip
View attachment trackLog-2017-Jun-08_05-37-05-CLEANEDUP.zip
View attachment trackLog-2017-Jul-04_12-54-23-CLEANEDUP.zip
View attachment trackLog-2017-Jul-04_12-18-29 Cleaned up.zip

Spykexx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'll see if I can take a quick gander at your logs later and see if I can see anything out of the norm.

Logs can be useful at any stage in modding. They can tell you much about how your engine is running. Learning how to correctly read them can make troubleshooting SOO much easier.

OP
OP

yomamma219

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Update 29-Aug-17

Some images of my recent tint job before/after. Also temporary placement of quarter window louvers. Unfortunately they don't seem to fit properly inside of the rubber weather stripping that sits inside the chrome trim. Any help/suggestions with this would be appreciated.

Before marker tint:

IMG_20170610_103949 DOWNSIZED.jpg

After marker tint :love: :

stang tint.jpg

Stupid ebay quarter window louvers that don't seem to fit :headbonk: :

20170825_183424-01-01.jpeg
Sponsored