Sponsored

Ford announces launch of SYNC AppLink with 2015 Mustang (@ 2014 CES)

Topnotch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mazda CX-9 Touring
http://www.at.ford.com/news/cn/Pages/ALMustang.aspx

SYNC AppLink Launching with Mustang Gives Drivers Control of New Mobile App Features

Jan-07-2014 1:30 PM ET

LAS VEGAS – When the all-new Ford Mustang goes on sale later this year, the next-generation SYNC® AppLink™ system will give drivers easier access to new features from many of their favorite mobile apps while on the go. The new Mustang will be the first model in North America to feature the simpler menus, enhanced voice control and other new capabilities of Ford SYNC AppLink.

“Ford led the industry in giving drivers the ability to control their smartphone apps on the go with the introduction of SYNC AppLink in 2010,” said Raj Nair, Ford group vice president, global product development. “We are now making the in-vehicle app experience simpler and more intuitive to further help drivers keep their hands on the wheel and eyes on the road.”

Mustang drivers will soon have access to powerful new capabilities thanks to a host of new functions developers can integrate as they modify their apps to communicate with enhanced SYNC AppLink.

These new functions include:

• Simpler in-vehicle menus and controls so drivers can launch apps on their mobile device more quickly by pressing the SYNC voice button on the steering wheel and just saying the name of the app without having to say the command “Mobile applications” first
• Apps can get access to a variety of real-time vehicle data such as speed, acceleration, odometer and location that can be used by the connected app to further customize and personalize the user experience. For example, access to the in-vehicle GPS signal can enable more precise and accurate location-based services than phone sensors
• A more consistent user experience due to voice pass-through capability, which enables developers to use the on-device or cloud-based voice recognition systems to evaluate commands given by the driver. This means drivers can use the same set of voice commands to control the app when connected to the vehicle as they would when not connected to the vehicle
• Notifications that can be read aloud to drivers as they come in without ever touching the phone. Best of all, alerts are available anytime a mobile device is connected to SYNC AppLink, even if the app is not currently active or the driver is listening to the radio

“Our goal with AppLink has always been to let drivers take advantage of the information, news and entertainment apps they value most,” said Doug VanDagens, Ford global director of connected services. “The new version of AppLink gives developers even more tools to help deliver a seamless app experience.”
Sponsored

xlover

King of Laserball
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BMW M
sounds pretty awesome, hopefully more details to come

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
This is the pre-stage system for the future Track Apps. We should hopefully see a full, GPS acquisition for race tracks around the world. With a tracing feature, you can even map out your own track (Solo events) and still keep your position/speed and time for possible export to your device.

The LED touch screen option will display the track layout (Like Grand Tourismo). Eventually, a HUD system could replace the heavier, 8-12 inch screen of the industry standard.

This is something kids will get into for sure...

VIN666

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
You can buy all the stuff aftermarket.
Bout time the OEMs do something useful.

MadMoose

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stuff
Lame. Are they announcing the other stuff today or is that it ?

Sponsored

Somms

When apps arrive later this year to take advantage of AppLink's new features, they should be easier to launch and control with voice commands recognized by the same recognition engines used by the app outside of the car instead of by SYNC.

For enthusiasts, the most interesting part of all this is the ability for apps to read vehicle data. Previously, apps could only receive command signals from the driver's voice or buttons on the radio. Developers can now read signals like speed, acceleration, and the vehicle GPS, which are more accurate than the sensors in a phone. This opens up the possibility to create apps that duplicate the performance data recorder just announced for the 2015 Corvette.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/go/news...es-could-mean-powerful-new-apps#ixzz2pk5wicgM

VIN666

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
Yeah, in case that wasn't clear, I agree. Lame.

chopsui

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 GT
Developers can now read signals like speed, acceleration, and the vehicle GPS, which are more accurate than the sensors in a phone. This opens up the possibility to create apps that duplicate the performance data recorder just announced for the 2015 Corvette.
The beauty of the corvette's system is that it's all built-in. No cameras to mount, no flaky BT connections to worry about. You just push the button on your center console and it just works. Plus you can play them back on your nice in-car screen. Ah well. It's certainly not a deal-breaker or anything, but it is an opportunity missed.

xlover

King of Laserball
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BMW M
The beauty of the corvette's system is that it's all built-in. No cameras to mount, no flaky BT connections to worry about. You just push the button on your center console and it just works. Plus you can play them back on your nice in-car screen. Ah well. It's certainly not a deal-breaker or anything, but it is an opportunity missed.
disagree 100%, the ability to plug in your phone, record detailed telemetry onto an app which can then be available in the cloud for review on iphone, ipad, droid, PC whatever, with 3D maps of the track, 2d, against other drivers, anything the telemetry can be displayed and looked at on. the corvettes system is good but this allows for way more possibilities to take the data and use it outside the vehicle. even better i dont doubt there will be numerous apps where you can just plug the device (thinking iphone/droid) in by USB and use a dash mount and get the same HD video recording as the vette with the telemetry overlaid but immediately on your device rather than have to deal with a clunky obsolete SD card to get the data out to the cloud for review. plus the vette only works outside the system with the "cosworth tool box" this would allow any app to get the necessary data.

chevy's system is good, but in my opinion this is better because it offers way more possibilities

likeaboss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Corvette Z51
Pretty lame, I was expecting something exciting when they said "industry first"...

Sponsored

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
I told you guys weeks ago, this was something Ford has been working on. We wanted to sell this to Chevy a long time ago but never got any further then software. We would have needed a base to build the apps on... Ford has this now...

I mentioned this on Camaro5 in 2010/2011 for the Z28 (now ZL1). I was told the GTR already had it and they were not interested... Wouldn't have mattered anyway, Ford has the App rights for the system. Good job guys!!!

That is not to say Go-Pro won't develop an App themselves that turns your mobile into a Go-Pro. I can imagine the sales of suction cups and waterproof iPhone cases would be decent.

Imagine streaming LIVE on Facebook your idiocies, and your stats in real time... Your own Facebook Race Channel?

KEEP IT ON THE TRACK!!!!

Ford is only marketing the system for the casual, super-personal, on board experience (not entertainment) management system. However, the car enthusiast will pervert the system to work for them. Ford will just offer Apps at the OEM level, SVT for their system, Ford Racing will have a swing at it I'm sure... Then Roush, Steeda, all the aftermarket... Jon Lund??? What's he gonna do with it?

chopsui

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 GT
disagree 100%, the ability to plug in your phone, record ....
Given certain assumptions about the performance of Fords system, I agree that it has potential. The problem is I don't see a large enough customer base to justify an app developer spending the resources to create such an app. It will most likely have to be a labor of love from some mustang owner who also happens to be a dev. I just don't want to have to pin my hopes on that. Besides, the two choices - built in or a 3rd party app are not mutually exclusive.

xlover

King of Laserball
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BMW M
Given certain assumptions about the performance of Fords system, I agree that it has potential. The problem is I don't see a large enough customer base to justify an app developer spending the resources to create such an app. It will most likely have to be a labor of love from some mustang owner who also happens to be a dev. I just don't want to have to pin my hopes on that. Besides, the two choices - built in or a 3rd party app are not mutually exclusive.
I do agree the customer base will be smaller for track applications for just the mustang.... but ford is not going to be the only car maker to offer this level of connectivity, go pro, or another company with a vested interest in amateur racing, might find value if their one app for iphone/droid will allow you to hook into anything from a mustang, camaro, M4, nissan Z, 911, etc. ford is just the first.

additionally the breadth of applications that will be available to link in to all kinds of car systems and vice versa is huge beyond just telemetry. my opinion is this is a good step in the right direction away from having car infotainment and operations being tied down to an individual vehicles system.

chopsui

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 GT
I do agree the customer base will be smaller for track applications for just the mustang.... but ford is not going to be the only car maker to offer this level of connectivity, go pro, or another company with a vested interest in amateur racing, might find value if their one app for iphone/droid will allow you to hook into anything from a mustang, camaro, M4, nissan Z, 911, etc. ford is just the first.

additionally the breadth of applications that will be available to link in to all kinds of car systems and vice versa is huge beyond just telemetry. my opinion is this is a good step in the right direction away from having car infotainment and operations being tied down to an individual vehicles system.
Right, so maybe, if all the manufactures actually have compatible interfaces, we might see something 2 or 3 years from now. Or, Ford could have stuck a camera and mic in the mustang and we could have a corvette-like system at launch that works for everyone. No phone required. That's all I'm saying.

The Sarge

Domino's Pizza, Ford Unveil Latest Ordering App Innovation Using SYNC AppLink System

- Domino's and Ford to demo brand-new ordering platform using SYNC® AppLink™ at 2014 International CES on Jan. 8
- Ford drivers with SYNC AppLink-equipped vehicles will be able to easily order their saved Domino's order for pickup or delivery using voice commands

Domino's Pizza® and Ford Motor Company not only share the same backyard in the Detroit area, but also a belief in the importance of innovation.

Tomorrow, at the 2014 International CES in Las Vegas, the recognized world leader in pizza delivery and the second-largest U.S.-based automaker will unveil the latest in innovation and convenience when it comes to ordering Domino's.

Available soon, Domino's customers who have a registered Pizza Profile on their Domino's mobile app, as well as the Ford SYNC® AppLink™ in-car connectivity system, will be able to use that combination to place their saved Easy Order™ in just a few simple, voice-activated steps.

"This is, no question, one of the coolest in a long list of recent technology innovations for Domino's," said Patrick Doyle, Domino's Pizza president and CEO. "To be able to work with a brand like Ford, with its terrific SYNC technology, and offer yet another way to bring our ordering app experience to life makes it all the better.

"We will continue to come up with every way possible to conveniently order from Domino's, and use technology to offer the best customer experience possible," added Doyle. "This is just the latest step, and we are very excited to roll this out later this year."

Domino's customers can save their favorite pizza combination, address and payment information using the Easy Order function at http://www.dominos.com or on their mobile app. The order can then be placed using simple voice commands provided by the SYNC system.

"We're thrilled to add Domino's to the ever-expanding lineup of mobile apps Ford drivers can use hands-free," said Julius Marchwicki, global product manager for Ford SYNC AppLink. "Americans love pizza, and now they can have one ready for pickup or delivery when they are on their way home or heading to a gathering with friends."

The industry-leading AppLink feature enables drivers to control selected apps on connected smartphones and tablets using the SYNC voice button on the steering wheel or the audio system buttons of equipped Ford vehicles.

SYNC AppLink is available on more than 1.5 million Ford vehicles including Fiesta, Mustang, Edge, Explorer, Flex, Expedition, Transit Connect, Fusion, Taurus, F-150, Super Duty, Focus, E-Series and C-MAX hybrids.

http://corporate.ford.com/news-cent...dominos-pizza-ford-unveil-latest-ordering-app
Yay?

Another app they announced:

Parkopedia Launches In-Car, Voice-Activated Parking Spot Discovery App for Ford SYNC AppLink

- Using Ford SYNC® AppLink™, Parkopedia® app users can find the closest parking spot and check on availability using simple voice commands
- Parkopedia offers detailed information on more than 28 million parking spaces in 40 countries

Parkopedia®, the leading parking information provider with more than 28 million parking spots listed, announces an app compatible with the Ford SYNC® AppLink™ in-car connectivity system. Using the AppLink interface, drivers will be able to locate available nearby parking spots and get pricing information through simple voice commands, eliminating the need to touch their mobile phone while driving.

"Parkopedia provides real-time space availability information for drivers, allowing drivers to go directly to the open spot as opposed to circling the block searching for an opening," said Eugene Tsyrklevich, CEO of Parkopedia. "At Parkopedia, we understand the value of the connected car.

"Working with Ford will help us reach millions of consumers who want to use technology to arrive at their destinations efficiently and on time, while hopefully avoiding a few parking tickets along the way," he added.

To use Parkopedia, drivers of SYNC AppLink-equipped Ford vehicles need to have the app installed on an iOS or Android-based smartphone. Drivers can activate Parkopedia by pressing the SYNC voice button on the steering wheel and saying "Mobile applications," and then "Parkopedia," to begin finding real-time available parking spots.

"Parkopedia is another example of how Ford is going further to heighten the driver experience so our customers feel their vehicle is working with them to get where they are going," said Julius Marchwicki, global product manager for Ford SYNC AppLink. "Parkopedia has a similar goal to Ford – to deliver a more convenient and efficient driving experience through the use of technology."

SYNC AppLink is available on more than 1.5 million Ford vehicles including Fiesta, Mustang, Edge, Explorer, Flex, Expedition, Transit Connect, Fusion, Taurus, F-150, Super Duty, Focus, E-Series and C-MAX hybrids.

For more information regarding Parkopedia and to download the mobile apps, please visit http://en.parkopedia.com/mobile-parking-apps/. The Ford SYNC AppLink-compatible version of Parkopedia will be available as a free update in spring 2014.
This one could actually be useful.
Sponsored