Hopefully not a repost :)

[ame]
Sponsored

S550Boss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350; 2018 Focus RS
Here's my own video taken at the press event, of the actual reveal. A bit shakey due to all the press folks trying to get their own pictures and videos jostling around.

[ame]

This outdoor unveiling followed the indoor private press briefing. I flew into town by invite of Ford... it was worthwhile but there was not much new info in the press briefing because everything factual had already been released to us well in advance. I did find out all kinds of things (and confirmed many others) in one-on-one talks later. All the Ford folks were very carefully briefed as to what they could and could not say so there was nothing earth shaking. Absolutely no exact word on production start, HP, further models.
They are very proud of their creation. And they are very proud of the fat and broad torque curve of the new 2.3 - that is clearly going to be a terrific engine for pure driving enthusiasts.
And climbing almost under the car was also very interesting. This was a hand-built car, built for photo purposes like this, and everything underneath was painted black (except the diffuser - apparently that's still up in the air because we've also seen it black - of course it's not really a diffuser either). Got good pics of the important bits. I've also got 100+ pics I haven't had time to edit and have only put a few up on my site so far (the IRS, the engine covers, much more to come).
McQueen's son Chad was there, Henry Ford III, the Force family, other celebs. All interesting people to talk to. Raj Nair, BTW, is a helluva guy - wouldn't you like his job? (hot rumor says he is going to do his own epic split at NAIAS!)
Be sure to watch the part of the ceremony where they created the Mustang footprint in cement. The cement hardened too quickly in the cold. But a smart idea, fitting for Hollywood. I don't know where the cement is going to end up but it probably rode out of town in the special enclosed van Ford brought the car to the event in.
I will tell you that up close this is another thing altogether from what the photos show... it's sexy. It stands out. The impact hits you immediately. The slight curve of the rear side windows around the back, the big hips, the flip in the decklid.

And it immediately obsoletes the older (current) car.
The proportions are of course identical to the current car, other than a few very slight differences (40mm wider in back). And one major one - the trunk doesn't look like it's a stuck-on box: the entire back half of the car is now far more integrated. The side flows, the rear flows. And the 70mm lower rear deck helps a lot - the trunk lid isn't way up in the air. And thanks to the IRS, the car sits level (so many of the S197s appear jacked up - because they are). Some of the engineers told me that this is the first Mustang where the geometry is so good, allowing it to be level, and obsoleting lowering. They put a lot of focus into getting the geometry right.
I was also at the public event at Venice Beach that afternoon... that was pretty much a bust. No presentation, just the car sitting there in the cold wind. Local Mustangers had been invited to bring their cars out, but very few were there (maybe 30 cars at most at a single time). Poor showing for L.A., but I heard that the local clubs had found out about the event at the last moment.
I finished the day with a drive up Topanga canyon, and a red-eye flight out of LAX.

Topnotch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mazda CX-9 Touring

Photos by Clinton Lum, Text by Staff / Los Angeles - Ford's 2015 Mustang has generated a lot of buzzes in various media outlets and shows. It has a totally new design with lots of horse powers to go with. The new exterior design has some prominent changes like the front and back, slopes, yet others more subtle like the mirror and others. Showed up in the Los Angeles 2015 Mustang is a bright red which makes it even more caliente!!

The event was hosted by Hoonigan, in simul-presence across the globe including other major cities like New York, Shanghai, Sydney, Barcelona and hoem sweet home of Dearborn.

At the event, the legendary Vaught Gittin Jr, one of the top professional drifting racers was at the scene to celebrate this cool event. It's a great event at the cold (relative to LA) Thursday night...

http://cars.wheelsandheelsmag.com/2013/12/2015-ford-mustang-released-in-wild.html
Sponsored