Jarstang

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Source is supposedly a Ford Racing employee at the PRI show.

Source: http://gas2.org/2013/12/13/ford-racing-2015-mustang-body-in-white-with-ford-9-coming/

I was there when Ford debuted its new-for 1999 Mustang Cobra with its “revolutionary” new independent rear suspension. The IRS was a first for the Ford Mustang, and it was a move that Ford’s brass believed would allow the “new edge” Cobra to compete with cars like the BMW M3 for supremacy in the budget super car market. I also remember the very first question that was asked: Will a Ford 9″ bolt in? It was the first question, right out of the box … and it seems like someone at Ford remembers. The new-for-2015 Mustang is going to hit dealers with a new independent rear suspension late next year, and it seems like Ford Racing will have a 9″ live axle option ready.

According to a Ford Racing employee at PRI, the live-axle version of the 2015 Ford Mustang is expected to debut at next year’s PRI show as part of a new “body in white” program intended to attract serious racers to the platform. The body in white 2015 Mustang will also serve to take some of the shine off of bitter rival Chevrolet’s current COPO Camaro and body in white Camaro programs.

Once the live-axle 2015 Mustang racers are out “in the wild”, the parts needed to convert street-going Mustangs from independent rear suspensions to the 9″ setup should become available through Ford Racing and participating dealers. Back in 1999, SVT engineer Eric Zinkosky said the “new independent rear suspension (was packaged) in not only the same space as the solid-axle design, but we had to use the same suspension mounting points. We virtually ‘reverse-engineered’ the IRS from the known suspension hardpoints, and we had to keep everything inside the same box.” Assuming similar thinking went into the upcoming Ford Racing 9″ suspension for the bodies in white, getting a solid axle to help get a high-horsepower Ecoboost Mustang’s power down should be a lot easier than many have feared.

About my source: While I have opted to not give his name, this information came to me from a Ford Racing employee on-hand at the 2013 PRI Show yesterday, 12DEC2013, when I asked if I could look under the hood of the (supposedly) 4 cyl. Ecoboost Mustang spinning on the big lazy Susan at the Ford Racing stand. He said no. I told another PRI old-timer the story about the 1999 Cobra IRS reveal, which the Ford Racing rep overheard. He laughed and said, “Yeah, that’s not ’til next year. We’ll probably announce it at the same time as the body in white program …” but he got called away before he could say “That’s off the record.” Take that how you will.
Sponsored

5.0GT

Threads
Reaction score
Awesome.. I prefer SLA because I prefer dragging at the track.

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01/'09/'19 Bullitt, '90 GT, '00 Corvette FRC
This is in keeping with what the Mustang Chief Engineer shared about "working with partners" to make the live axle conversion accessible. It will be interesting to see if there was "reverse engineering" for the live axle or if it was a shared design consideration.

I wonder what the process and cost to do it would be like.

Sponsored

likeaboss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Corvette Z51
Sounds like a win for SRA fans!

mykrrrr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 FoST
It might be true as a body in white offering for a future Cobra Jet not for road use vehicle, but you would have to re-engineer the entire back half of the car to make it an SRA.

The development costs would probably outweigh the demand.

SStormtrooPer

Dark Side
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Vehicle(s)
Single Turbo GenII Coyote Swapped '92 SSP
It might be true as a body in white offering for a future Cobra Jet not for road use vehicle, but you would have to re-engineer the entire back half of the car to make it an SRA.

The development costs would probably outweigh the demand.
This.

I can't imagine Ford engineered the rear of the car to handle both, nor design the floor pan for the production car to be able to swap in a SRA either. Not with any kind of back seat in the car at least.

mykrrrr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 FoST
This.

I can't imagine Ford engineered the rear of the car to handle both, nor design the floor pan for the production car to be able to swap in a SRA either. Not with any kind of back seat in the car at least.

It's not designed to accept both.

The old Cobra IRS was basically reverse engineered as stated before to fit a SRA floor pan. S550 is not.

Dirk McGurck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Nissan 370Z Touring with Sport
It's not designed to accept both.

The old Cobra IRS was basically reverse engineered as stated before to fit a SRA floor pan. S550 is not.
I would think that it would be easier to engineer an IRS to fit SRA floor pans than the other way around. Do drag racers not have to worry about suspension travel? Or maybe jack the back of the car up? Maybe the factory race cars have a different floor pan entirely?

Sponsored

mykrrrr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 FoST
I would think that it would be easier to engineer an IRS to fit SRA floor pans than the other way around. Do drag racers not have to worry about suspension travel? Or maybe jack the back of the car up? Maybe the factory race cars have a different floor pan entirely?

The factory race cars (B302S, CJ) are all built in the body shop. Cages and all. Sent through the same paint shop as all other S197's as well.

pacettr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Parnelli Jones Saleen, 2013 Lagune Seca, and
I heard this same information from someone in attendance at PRI as well.