Threads
Reaction score
Website
the-12th-fan.com
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2006 Ford Fusion SEL
The next-generation Ford Mustang goes on sale in the U.S. next fall and in 2015 will be exported from Flat Rock to Europe and Asia.

Ford has retooled the Downriver plant and added a second shift of 1,200 workers who will start building prototypes of the 2015 Mustang in January.

[...]

The paint shop had to be modified to handle the 2015 Mustang, which is wider than its predecessor.

[...]

In the meantime, the plant will be idle later this month because current Mustang sales have slowed as consumers wait to see the new model. The down time will be used to retool and to train workers.
http://www.freep.com/article/20131205/BUSINESS0102/312050146/
Sponsored

GTsquid

They're idling the plant this month because of slow sales? Already? Hmm. Sales last month weren't that bad and the S550 was just revealed. I'd be shocked if it already took such a hit but who knows. If it's this bad now, how are they going to survive until late 2014.

Something just seems off to me (or maybe I don't understand the process). These are prototypes for tooling trial then pilot production etc I'm assuming..... isn't that usually only 3-4 months before mass production?

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
They're idling the plant this month because of slow sales? Already? Hmm.

Sales last month weren't that bad and the S550 was just revealed. I'd be shocked if it already took such a hit but who knows. If it's this bad now, how are they going to survive until late 2014.
I don't thin anyone realizes how bad sales really are. 4-6000 a month is borderline "end of production". The S197 has sold in pretty big numbers overall for a sports coupe. R&D has been paid for probably 3 times over...

I can't see a gap that big in production...

I am betting there is a 3-4 month stock on lots, can anyone verify this?

Something tells me they are building press cars in January, testing in March, published in April. Order books will open in April, production begins...

Late Summer Availability...

However, we could see the lucky few that get theirs early. The initial QC is what takes so long...

The first Mustang's in the public eye will be in the USCC and SCCA.

Free Agent

2015 GT Premium
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Prem.
Good news. The sooner the better. :)

Wild Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Mustang GT
I think it would be wise for Ford to attack the interest in the 2015 while it's hot. By that I mean putting them up for sale by early to mid summer.

Sponsored

Voodoo

Elite Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A Car
I don't thin anyone realizes how bad sales really are. 4-6000 a month is borderline "end of production". The S197 has sold in pretty big numbers overall for a sports coupe. R&D has been paid for probably 3 times over...

I can't see a gap that big in production...

I am betting there is a 3-4 month stock on lots, can anyone verify this?

Something tells me they are building press cars in January, testing in March, published in April. Order books will open in April, production begins...

Late Summer Availability...

However, we could see the lucky few that get theirs early. The initial QC is what takes so long...

The first Mustang's in the public eye will be in the USCC and SCCA.
Hi, Kevin!! :thumbsup:

knucklehorse

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ricky
Vehicle(s)
2010 Ford Mustang V6 (Waiting for 2016 GT ...)
Hey Wild , iii totally agree , the safest bet for ford is to get the ball rolling on attacking the 2015 interest while it's hot , i do think 13-14 sales will at least stay moderate due to steadful price reduction , and to say the least future mustang owner's who are not all that enticed by the 2015 will have some options with the 13-14 model's , so i think the only thing that can bridge the gap will be current 13-14 model prices steadfully decreasing , and ppl who will opt to buy a 13-14 model over the upcoming 2015

falcongtho3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mach 1 ; 2013 Boss 302
This might increase the chances (and size of production) of the rumored 2014 1/2 cars.
Sponsored