Patio208

GT350 Member
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT 500 #L2287
All three have some merit but I'm glad it was mostly option A!

likeaboss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Corvette Z51
Looks like they went with theme A and snagged the headlights from B. I'm glad they didn't put the fogs in the grille.

TearTheHorizon

Threads
Reaction score
Rampant, take a good look at the lower valence in option c! Damn near right on the money!

Oblivion/2

Wait so which one was the "too euro" concept they tossed? :shrug:

Im glad they went with A too. Good choice. It's got the nicest /wide stance and doesn't look as bulbous as the others.

Sponsored

DarkAgent10

Interesting that option B's decklid and taillights are less angled and more upright but don't look right to me. I thought I'd like it better like that. I think they went with the right choice too.

Josh Painter

Threads
Reaction score
Website
the-12th-fan.com
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2006 Ford Fusion SEL
I do like the fogs in the grille on A. They look great.

The hood scoop, not so much.

But I understand why they moved the fogs down and spread them out.

Fogs work better down low, as close to the road as you can get them.

chazcron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Fusion
Tail B looks just like my earlier renders. SOO glad they didn't go with tail B. A bowl full of meh.

Sponsored

Powderd Toast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wes
Vehicle(s)
17 Platinum White GT
Thank Jebus for no fogs in the grill.

Wildcat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Focus
Themes B and C look horrific. And I'm glad they ditched the fog lights from the grille. If those were the other designs they were considering, I'm sure glad they choose the one they did.

MadCow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
They actually all look more retro than in would have thought. Maybe at least one would have been radical. Kinda like the 3 sn95 concepts. Radical, conservative, and in between

amk91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GTP PP and 2014 SVT Raptor SE
Apologies if this has been posted elsewhere, but it's kinda hard to keep up :D

Courtesy of Chris Doane's FB page.....

2015 mustang chop.jpg
Thanks for posting these Twin Turbo!

These proposals are likely from little over a year ago in the third quarter of 2012 and likely what replaced the original radical design that had probably been set in advance in late 2011/early 2012. This is more than likely why the "late 2014" availability is now the case, due to delayed design freeze and development lead times.

I'm sure that Ford shot for a much earlier release for spring 2014, but as I said before, ended up dealing with a much later design freeze(=start of full production/packaging development) date of December 2012.

I gathered this from an insider, who said this on October 5, 2012 on Jalopnik, regarding the then-present S550 design status:

I've seen the clay buck—don't ask how—and it does not look at all like the rendering except that there is no question, the buck is the MY2015 Mustang. I disagree with the statement that the next car will be an evolution of the current. The '15 model, when it debuts, will definitely, have design influences from Aston Martin (rear 3/4 and tail light overall shape); Nissan 370Z (fender styling/stance); Audi A5/S5; Camaro; Challenger. Along with the typical Mustang DNA and EVOS sprinkles—the average dude will know this is a Mustang. The car will definitely be offered overseas (EU & China) with the engine choices you mentioned and an IRS. I'm not sure if Ford will offer either suspension design as a option to the end buyer (ie road/track pack; drag pack etc). Build quality will be world class to go along with new revolutionary look.

Yes, the guys you spoke with definitely went to a clinic to give their opinion on one of 3 designs Ford is still toying with. Pencils down on the design is not for another 6-8 weeks.

Hope this clears things up

A true Mustang enthusiast and external team member...

Reading this again, it's now clearer to me. Sometime during the first half of last year, Ford made those exact changes they spoke of in relation to it being too radical. By the time design clinic showings in September 2012, it is not known whether it still looked identical to "Theme A" or more advanced towards the production variant.

Wait so which one was the "too euro" concept they tossed? :shrug:

Im glad they went with A too. Good choice. It's got the nicest /wide stance and doesn't look as bulbous as the others.
None of them. These are barely from last year it seems. The "Euro" one would've been designed on a regular Ford development time frame up to late 2011, but had been discarded by the time these 3 themes were presented over a year ago.
Sponsored