Sponsored

Failed oil sending unit

Sprintamx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
I've been chasing an oil leak(s) for some time. I suspected some problem with the oil filter seal to the distribution block, or possibly where the cooler lines connect to the distribution block (did not appear that there was a leak in one of the lines). Long story short, I finally punted and took the car to a dealer (warranty) for diagnosis and hopefully a solution.

The tech diagnosed a failed sending unit (unclear whether it is the sensor housing or seal to the block). I still think I may have a leak where the cooler lines connect to the distribution block, but we'll see if this solves the problem.

Car is a 2016 with fewer than 5K miles.

Anyway, just some info for the community.
Sponsored

chops44

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Fathouse 1250R....1992 Gt 39k mile garage queen
Had a leak on my car and took it in....said it was a loose oil filter and retorqued it...still leaked and took back a few days later....sending unit leaking (I actually saw it).....a week went by and different leaks appeared on the ground.....replaced cooler lines and all is well now going on ~3 weeks.

2016 with 4,500 miles

OP
OP

Sprintamx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
I'll still suspect a leak in the lines of some type, and that's likely to be addressed next.

But, another failed sending unit . . . strange or within the norm for the number of cars out there? Any idea if the Voodoo unit is unique to this engine, or shared with other motors? I didn't get a part#, so I'm not sure. In any case, it wasn't a part my dealer stocks, but that doesn't mean much since I don't think these types of sensors fail all that often.

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Carroll Shelbys Soul Lives Under My GT350 Hood
Yeah still not a word on the revised oil lines. So happy.

mephim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track (gone), 2019 GT350 (gone)
Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I wanted to add my experience as information. I appear to not be the only one with this issue.

1. Had the Oil cooler recall lines replaced at dealership.

2. 2 Weeks later noted oil coming down from the new Oil line area.

3. Flew into a rage and returned to the dealer who finished the work. Thankfully, a deductive reasoning tech showed me that the oil was actually coming from further upstream. Using foam applied to the sending unit, the leak was originating from oil escaping during the actuation. Another tech was low revving the engine and you could literally see oil spurting out of the unit with the sealant.

- The dealership is ordering the part, that is indeed Voodoo specific, and will require a week to arrive as it is not stocked in warehouses.

- The Oil leak looked like a leaking filter, as it was coming down the filter face. It was chased higher and forward to the sending unit. The parts department also has new lines in stock if those need to be replaced as well.

Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT 350 Ox White OTT blue stripes, tech pack
I also had a slight oil leak that the dealer traced to the oil sending unit. The tech, who I trust said that it was lose. That was at about 3000 miles, have 3900 on the car now and no leak. The same tech did the oil cooler recall line replacement and have not had a problem with them leaking.

wasserott

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 LB WS
I had a similar leak, took to dealer and it's also the Sending Unit. Mine is a 7/2017 build date

Wriggly

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Porsche 718 GTS
I had a similar leak, took to dealer and it's also the Sending Unit. Mine is a 7/2017 build date
Where do the telltale signs of the sending unit leaks show up?

wasserott

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 LB WS
Where do the telltale signs of the sending unit leaks show up?
Well looks like it could be coming from the oil filter area. And that's from looking on the ground, at the panels and from under the hood. I went in thinking it was one or the other, even took them a case of oil in case it was the filter to have them change the oil.

Car has 1500 miles...bonus was that eight of the panel fasteners were missing. They called me immediately to ask who serviced the car and i said it's never been service. They have to back order the sending unit and the fasteners.
Sponsored