Sponsored

Front grill design with lights something different.

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
This project was three fold, as I wanted first to design a closed airbox design for my Whipple setup and have a ram air true cold air coming from the front grill. While the bumper was off I also desided to change my grill screen. The grill mesh is from custom car grills 16x48" sheet and I purchase and cut to size. My air box was closed off using using double bubble and the stock snorkel was cut from the OE air box so it would connect into the grill and then connect to the Big mouth ram air. This system is complety closed off from the engine heat and takes air from the front drivers side rectangular grill opening. While I was at this project I decided I wanted color matched big mouth ram air and I wanted one on both sides to match and I also added an LED light to each for a night affect.

No only are my IAT 1 temps reduced significantly, but the look is something unique and functional.

Amazon LED lights white, different colors are available.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007PBPI68/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Wirring the LED lights is simple Both lights are wired to one headlight light grey wire with purple strip. Tap in right at to the headlight plug and connect the red LED wire to it. The black LED wire is grounded to frame.
a8edde4653378235e8a64634535d8af0_zpssibc9c6f.jpg
260b379b3c577b3607e64e3d46554046_zpsin06b4ig.jpg
IMG_0852.jpg
IMG_1855.jpg
IMG_1888.jpg
IMG_1902.jpg
IMG_1903.jpg
IMG_1905.jpg
IMG_1904.jpg
IMG_0903.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

db252

Equinsu Ocha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium/PP/Nav
Total innovator Shawn. It looks so good and gives such depth. All I can do is stare. Can't wait to see the road shots at night.

OP
OP
Roh92cp

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
Thanks fellas, I'll be standing in my garage looking at the front end another 2 month until the snow breaks. I'll get a night shot tomorrow.

Dspec_S550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Oxford White Mustang Ecoboost
looks really great. nice work!

Sponsored

scooter550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 V6 Mustang in Comp Orange
Looks awesome !!!! Great job !!!!

Joe 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP
Vehicle Showcase
So cool.

Great job, OP!

Super Werty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 PP GT
I wonder if the whipple feels like it's breathing through a straw now. Looks cool.. But I can't help but think you just closed off a ton of air supply.. Hot or not

Sponsored

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2022 F150 PowerBoost
Vehicle Showcase
I wonder if the whipple feels like it's breathing through a straw now. Looks cool.. But I can't help but think you just closed off a ton of air supply.. Hot or not
Its been tested and proven to be plenty, especially with the ram air adaptor.

db252

Equinsu Ocha
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium/PP/Nav
Tested by who? On a dyno with the lid closed?
As a matter of fact, yes. My car, same closed air box design, with the lid on, with big mouth in place, at Whipple, by Dustin and Will almost two weeks ago. The smallest portion before the air box is twice the size of the 132mm throttle body. They were impressed with the setup and commented on how low the AIT1 stayed which has a direct effect on power in the positive. When cruising my AIT1 is about 4 degrees higher than ambient temp. I sat for 15 minutes at idle with car at full temp and I don't have the added fan kit and my temps only rose 20 degrees in that time frame. Jmeo and roh92cp both know this as we talk personally but probably didn't want to throw me out there.

It's an amazing difference and recommend it fully.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Roh92cp

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
I to at first thought the stock snorkel would be a restriction as it looked to be smaller than the whipple's intake track. So before taking on this project I used and area calculator and ran calculations at the throttle body, MAF and elbow and the MAF housing was the smallest part of the Whipple intake system. I then ran the calculation for the odd shape of the snorkels long and narrow with a bulge in it, and I was astounded that its ID area calculation was twice of MAF. This is why I went ahead with the project.

Also one of the other members here db252 has done the same mod and his cars Dyno at whipple last week was right in the ball park for a car running 91 octane. Whipple was impressed with the Dyno and the closed air box with the big mouth.

OP
OP
Roh92cp

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
As a matter of fact, yes. My car, same closed air box design, with the lid on, with big mouth in place, at Whipple, by Dustin and Will almost two weeks ago. The smallest portion before the air box is twice the size of the 132mm throttle body. They were impressed with the setup and commented on how low the AIT1 stayed which has a direct effect on power in the positive. When cruising my AIT1 is about 4 degrees higher than ambient temp. I sat for 15 minutes at idle with car at full temp and I don't have the added fan kit and my temps only rose 20 degrees in that time frame. Jmeo and roh92cp both know this as we talk personally but probably didn't want to throw me out there.

It's an amazing difference and recommend it fully.
Oh shit you beat me to it:thumbsup:
Sponsored