Sponsored

New 2.3 EcoBoost introduced today

S550Boss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350; 2018 Focus RS
The first iteration of the new 2.3 EcoBoost was introduced today by Lincoln. This is the first peak at the engine that will be offered in the 2015 Mustang.

There is some significant work here in the cylinder head and exhaust port, including new valves. And a dual-scroll turbo. All to further reduce what tiny turbo lag is left.. if you can even call it that. There are significant advantages here over a naturally aspirated engine. The torque curve for the new engine is very broad and flat, without peaks.

This is not the tuning for the 2015, as far as is known, so stay tuned for that as the Mustang new rolls out later on.

Lincoln press release follows (red highlights mine):
------------
All-New 2015 Lincoln MKC Small Premium Utility First to Offer 2.3-Liter EcoBoost Engine

• Underscoring the commitment to craft uniquely Lincoln vehicles, the all-new 2015 Lincoln MKC small premium utility will be the first to offer the 2.3-liter EcoBoost® four-cylinder turbocharged engine
  • This all-new engine will offer projected best-in-class horsepower per liter and best-in-class torque per liter
  • Featuring a twin-scroll turbocharger and a three-port integrated exhaust manifold (IEM), the 2.3-liter EcoBoost advances The Lincoln Motor Company’s efforts to build powerful and fuel-efficient vehicles
An all-new vehicle deserves an all-new engine.

The all-new 2015 Lincoln MKC small premium utility, unveiled earlier today, adds a key new option to The Lincoln Motor Company lineup of premium vehicles, an available all-new engine - a 2.3-liter EcoBoost® turbocharged four-cylinder powerplant.

“Core to the Lincoln reinvention is creating new vehicles that are unique not only to the brand, but also to the premium automotive market,” said Jim Farley, executive vice president of Ford Global Marketing, Sales and Service and Lincoln. “The 2.3-liter EcoBoost helps us achieve that in the all-new 2015 MKC by setting a new standard in the balance of performance and efficiency.”

The 2.3-liter EcoBoost four-cylinder offers best-in-class performance even when measured against competitors’ six-cylinder engines. The 2.3-liter EcoBoost offers projected best-in-class horsepower per liter and best-in-class torque per liter, generating 275 horsepower at 5,500 rpm and 300 lb.-ft. of torque at 3,000 rpm, according to preliminary test data.
The 2.0-liter EcoBoost, standard on MKC, generates 240 horsepower at 5,500 rpm and 270 lb.-ft. of torque at 3,000 rpm, according to preliminary test data.

The 2.3-liter EcoBoost was specifically engineered for higher performance. Two factors pivotal to the success of the newest entry in the benchmark EcoBoost engine lineup are a three-port integrated exhaust manifold cylinder head and a twin-scroll turbocharger.

“The three-port IEM design is the key driver for performance because it improves airflow and optimizes exhaust energy pulses through the turbocharger,” said Pete Pandolfi, 2.3-liter Engine Supervisor for Lincoln. “The three-port IEM and twin-scroll turbo design really opened us up to have outstanding power and refinement.”

The exhaust flows from the inner and outer pairs of cylinders are kept separate as they go through the three ports into the two scrolls of the turbocharger. Separating the exhaust pulses until they hit the turbine wheel minimizes the backflow into the next cylinder that fires, preserving energy to help spin up the turbo.

Turbo lag is virtually eliminated for quicker response when the driver needs power for passing while enabling the exhaust valve to stay open longer for lower emissions and up to 15 percent better fuel economy than comparable six-cylinder engines.

Production of the all-new 2015 Lincoln MKC will begin in the second quarter of 2014 at the Louisville Assembly Plant in Louisville, Ky. Vehicles will begin arriving to Lincoln dealerships next summer.
Sponsored

Ericc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various Mustang GTs
Has anyone seen the CO2 emission rate for the new 2.3?

OP
OP

S550Boss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I haven't seen it... but I would bet it's a step up from the 2.0 EcoBoost since it's a few years newer.

How are your taxes there... are they tied to CO2 or engine size and how?

Melino

Was the MKC getting the 2.3L EB a surprise or had it been rumored? I haven't been following Lincoln news as much.

The only other car I had heard repeated to get this engine was the Focus RS.

Ericc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various Mustang GTs
How are your taxes there... are they tied to CO2 or engine size and how?
Nothing short of a nightmare:

- 10% import tax on car + shipping cost
- 21% sales tax on car + shipping cost + import tax
- new car registration tax fully based on the CO2 output

The latter is the worst because it gets up progressively with the amount of CO2 grams. On A 2014 GT with 5.0 Coyote which does around 320 grams it's currently 60,000 euro, which translates into $78,000 atm. Mind you this is JUST the registration tax, it comes on top of the car and the import tax and sales tax.

So a new 5.0 will cost around $130,000 :crazy:

This is why a lot of people over here are eagerly awaiting the 2.3 4-banger. If it were to output say 180 grams the registration tax is around 13,000 euro, aka $16,900. Which is still a retarded amount but compared to 60K for a V8 it's heaven.

Sponsored

DHG1078

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Mustang Bullitt, 1985 Mustang Hatch
holy crap. I thought our taxes were bad... That is nuts.

Focustang

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-

The latter is the worst because it gets up progressively with the amount of CO2 grams. On A 2014 GT with 5.0 Coyote which does around 320 grams it's currently 60,000 euro, which translates into $78,000 atm. Mind you this is JUST the registration tax, it comes on top of the car and the import tax and sales tax.

This is why a lot of people over here are eagerly awaiting the 2.3 4-banger. If it were to output say 180 grams the registration tax is around 13,000 euro, aka $16,900. Which is still a retarded amount but compared to 60K for a V8 it's heaven.

When I first saw your question, I thought you were a green American loony, until I checked out your location. Thank you for taking the time to explain what happens with taxes and regulations. Here in the states, we're only starting to get effed, but most of us are asleep. In a few years, we'll be facing the same, I'm guessing.

OP
OP

S550Boss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Was the MKC getting the 2.3L EB a surprise or had it been rumored? I haven't been following Lincoln news as much.

The only other car I had heard repeated to get this engine was the Focus RS.
I can't remember ever seeing anything solid about this, not even a rumor. It does have the 2.0 EcoBoost standard. There was press speculation about the 1.6EB... but given all the extra weight that would be a dud.

OP
OP

S550Boss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nothing short of a nightmare
There are no words for this kind of tax. But the consequences of excessive CO2 are all around us all... there was a report here this week about the client change effects on 20 southern states. It'll be another 9 degrees eventually where I live. Throw in the developing countries and we're in deeper trouble yet.

The Netherlands is not the only country in Europe or Asia with (what seems to us over here) to be ultra high fees.

Hence the 2.3EB. There has been a lot of discussion in this forum around the 2.3EB and the CAFE regulations we have here... the larger purpose is to lead the export market where these kinds of regulations are common.

And note that the CO2 content is a more important number than the HP or torque. And with the very fine and careful management of many parameters the EB system can provide, compared to a conventional naturally aspirated engine, the EB engines produce much less CO2 while providing similar performance to larger engines. And, I think, more fun to drive.

Now couple that 2.3EB with an in-series hybrid electric motor... engineered for performance... and the net result could be far more torque than a Coyote as well as more HP. And the total torque of the electric portion would be fully available from idle RPM to max. That's where this is going in the much longer term and Ford has already modelled (if not built) this for an F-150 where it can provide enormous torque down low.

Josh Painter

Threads
Reaction score
Website
the-12th-fan.com
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2006 Ford Fusion SEL
Will the 2.3 EB be built in Cleveland Engine Plant No. 1 along with the 2.0 EB, 3.5 EB and the 3.7 DT? That plant is already running three shifts, if I'm not mistaken. I read where Ford is adding a new line at the Lima Engine Plant (where the 3.5 and 3.7 Duratech V6 engine are built) for production of an Ecoboost engine, but it will supposedly be a V6, not the 2.3:

http://www.limaohio.com/news/local_news/article_63882faa-0c22-11e2-8363-001a4bcf6878.html

So where will the 2.3 be built?

Sponsored

Rich

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6, Suzuki C50, former 67 Mustang owner

Sorry to say, being taxed to death by your own government is not heaven. It's something else. :paddle:

Ericc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various Mustang GTs
There are no words for this kind of tax.
I know, but it's the way it is and we have to deal with it. As a consequence of the progressive tax rate people have massively switched to little A and B segment cars here with small 0.9 to 1.2 liter engines and low emissions and also hybrids have caught on big time.

In Europe the tax situation does vary from country to country though. Scandinavian countries like Sweden and Finland have a similar rate, Norway and Danmark are even higher. On the other hand countries like UK and Germany don't have any registration tax worth mentioning and basically only carry the import and sales taxes. So you will typically find a lot more new Stangs and similar cars in Germany as they are a great value there, whereas here sales have dried up to zero, literally. In the UK it's also a rarity, not because of the price, but because they drive on the wrong side of the road and there's currently no RHD version.

But all this is about to change :)

Super Moderator
Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
--
Thread cleaned up.

Folks, let's keep the politics and ideologies out of this.

gojensen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Ecoboost 'vert
If you ever tire of those taxes Ericc you can come on up North ... it's cold and expensive :D

I'll see your measly $130.000 and raise you... a cool $100.00!!!

For a base GT at US$31.695... we'll add...
- weight fee : $19.704
- power fee : $101.145
- CO2 fee : $68.839 (based on your 320gm)
- NOX fee : $583 (just a guess as I can't find the values)
- VAT : $7.923
- destruction fee: $400
Total fees: $ 198.594

Total cost: $ 230.289 (and that is excluding any transport costs and insurance which will have a 25% VAT added to it...)

Can you say I4 please??!
Sponsored