Sponsored

Halogens/HIDs on the 2015 Mustang?

Overboost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S197
Just like the '10-'12 models...V6=Chrome, GT=Black Chrome
Were the headlamps different, other than halogen or HID? The pony badge was chrome for the V6 and black chrome for the GT, but I didn't notice the headlamps were.

Thed

Future Pre-Runner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Miata Club
Personally, I wouldn't mind as ling as they made them look like projectors, a la Gen. 1 Mazda3.

Sponsored

SStormtrooPer

Dark Side
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Vehicle(s)
Single Turbo GenII Coyote Swapped '92 SSP
Personally, I wouldn't mind as ling as they made them look like projectors, a la Gen. 1 Mazda3.

IMO a Halogen that looks like a projector is no better than a fake hood scoop. Don't do it unless it is functional.

HIDs have been standard for long enough that it is just a cheapskate move to go back. And if they do it just so they are upgradable in a few years, that's even worse.

I just can't see it happening. I think HIDs will be standard.

Overboost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S197
We're getting both halogens and HIDs as an option.

SStormtrooPer

Dark Side
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Vehicle(s)
We're getting both halogens and HIDs as an option.
If that is the case that is disappointing. It should cost anything to upgrade to a HID headlight -- especially when they are standard now. It should be standard on the 2015 cars.

One thing Ford fails on is the small details -- lighting, wimpy tires, antennas, fake scoops, etc.

RevvdMedia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
If that is the case that is disappointing. It should cost anything to upgrade to a HID headlight -- especially when they are standard now. It should be standard on the 2015 cars.

One thing Ford fails on is the small details -- lighting, wimpy tires, antennas, fake scoops, etc.
Considering the HID lighting is standard in the 2013/2014 Mustang, it would be silly to revert to having them be optional on the 2015.

GTsquid

I guess business is business afterall. The 13-14's needed all the extras standard to help move them late in the S197 cycle. The S550's will still sell regardless and I guess Ford knows this. Sad but true.

But hey if it keeps the base price virtually the same and it gains other technology, then maybe not such a big deal. Two things that would really piss me off is if it didn't come standard on the GT or if any of the trims in Europe get it standard while the same U.S. version doesn't.

Sponsored

Overboost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S197

I agree 100%. I have said for years that all Mustang models should have LED lighting, HIDs, and Sync as standard fare across the lineup. The 2013MY was really close to my "ideal" car. I wasn't happy to hear they chose to go back to halogens as a standard lamp.

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Along with that awful antenna on the rear of the 'vert, reverting back to halogens is another poor decision in my opinion (I'm sure there were many meetings to argue for the budgets, but even so.....)

Steve - won't they even be standard on the GT? I could sort of understand them being on the base 4-cylinder/V6, but the GT should get them as standard :frusty:

S550 wants to hang with the BMW 4 series, yeah?

"There will be plenty of equipment on the new BMW 4 Series convertible, just like on the coupe. All models get xenon lights (with full LED lights as an option) "

Do we have to wait 3 years for the first refresh before we catch up? :(

SStormtrooPer

Dark Side
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Vehicle(s)
Do we have to wait 3 years for the first refresh before we catch up? :(
Unfortunately Ford fans have been dealing with this for years on all cars, not just the Mustang.

They just "cheap" out on some things.

Rampant

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.rampantrenders.com
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
MBC (for now)
They just "cheap" out on some things.
Including the price.

There is a reason Ford can't make a Mustang with all the same equipment, same refinement, same quality but better performance than BMW.

You have to compromise somewhere.

Personally, I could care less about lighting (though the LED sequential tail lights are really cool, and I hope they keep them).

mitchell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Since when was the Mustang aiming and even coming close to hanging with BMWs in anything but performance?

It's still the best bang for your buck and will remain so, even if by a slightly lesser margin. I think there is this fallacy in thinking that at some point the Mustang has to be compete with cars of that class in quality and premium-ness all the while keeping the same affordability. In reality it only needs to keep pace with its nearest competitors, which it has done. Granted, reverting to standard halogens is a minor step backward, but it still cheaper and offers different value to buyers not found in Camaros etc. Also, the S550 will bring other technology in the mix (some which we have already seen in photos) so cross one thing off on the left column and add a bigger one to the right. Lighting is a much easier fix than what we will be gaining.
Sponsored