Sponsored

Reuters: 2015 Mustang preview for journalists next week and revealed in December!

Jarstang

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Reuters reports:

Ford offers auto writers a look at redesigned Mustang next week

Oct 16 (Reuters) - The long wait will be over soon for hard-core Mustang fans: Ford Motor Co plans to unveil the next-generation 2015 Mustang later this year, several months ahead of the car's 50th anniversary, and has invited auto writers for a sneak peek next week.

The Mustang is getting its first complete overhaul since 2005, including a more modern design, a more nimble chassis and more efficient engines and transmissions intended to broaden the car's appeal outside its core American audience, according to sources familiar with Ford's plans.

The automaker has invited small numbers of automotive writers, including European media, to its Dearborn headquarters for a sneak preview of the new Mustang, beginning next week, several sources said.

The writers have agreed not to reveal details of the car until Ford gives the nod -- but embargoes on new car models are routinely broken, so the first photos of the 2015 Mustang could leak ahead of the car's formal debut in December.

The 2015 model is slated to go on sale next summer.

The original Mustang was introduced at the New York World's Fair on April 17, 1964, to tremendous national fanfare. It was featured on the covers of both Time and Newsweek magazine, helping to cement the reputation of Ford's then-sales boss, Lee Iacocca, and was purchased by more than half a million customers in 1965, its first full year on the market.

When it was last redesigned eight years ago, the Mustang took a step backward in time, with a retro design that has attracted fewer and fewer buyers. Sales last year totaled just 82,995 and were down another 11.5 percent through September.

The automaker is spending hundreds of millions of dollars on a ground-up redesign of the car. The 2015 model will be the first Mustang aimed at global markets, notably Europe, Japan and Australia.

To enhance its appeal to prospective U.S. and overseas buyers, Ford is overhauling nearly every inch of the car, the sources said.

The automaker has developed a new rear-wheel-drive platform for the 2015 Mustang, which will ride on the same 107-inch wheelbase as its predecessor but is expected to shed several hundred pounds.

Ford is revamping the car's suspension, steering and brakes, and upgrading engines and transmissions, with a new EcoBoost turbocharged four-cylinder engine to be offered as an option.

The exterior sheet metal and the cabin have been completely redesigned to give it a more modern look and feel, but the 2015 Mustang will have styling cues inspired by past Mustangs, the sources said.
Sponsored

franklin9150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic GT Premium PP
Wow, very interesting news!

Does it seem crazy that I feel like a kid on Christmas Eve, going crazy for the next morning?

Thanks for the update JarStang!

z928

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Mustang
So when shall this Mustang production start? & I do hope the next generation Camaro will be global too! in RHD form.

Sponsored

stable68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Crown Victoria LX Sport
If true, i expect we get a leak and start seeing fully uncovered spy shots pretty soon

Dyno

Wow!! This is huge. Finally!

Let's see who is the first to break the embargo......

stangray11

Ok now we're in business! Things should get really exciting soon.

Looks like M6G's source was right about a December reveal and a teaser soon. I can't wait.

Since its likely to be a standalone event, who has guesses on who/what/where/when this is? New York? Detroit?

Red

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Good news. Thanks JarStang.

I remain skeptical of the car shedding several hundred pounds while keeping its current 107" wheelbase. Would be thrilled if that's true, but...

StangFX

Interesting that Reuters got wind of this preview for journalists first. I think it could be possible we see one of those global online simultaneous launches like they did for the BMW i3 recently.

Seems like Europe will be given a pretty big role in this.

Sponsored

Topnotch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mazda CX-9 Touring
Plus...the Mustang is 49 and a half tomorrow!!!!

Dirk McGurck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Nissan 370Z Touring with Sport
Good news. Thanks JarStang.

I remain skeptical of the car shedding several hundred pounds while keeping its current 107" wheelbase. Would be thrilled if that's true, but...
Newer materials and processes. The reason they've been putting on weight is because every successive model gets larger.

It'd be a huge accomplishment if they keep the same wheelbase. That, with the lighter materials, may actually yield a lighter car.

Even better if the wheelbase stays the same, they shrink all of the other dimensions: smaller, lighter car. :D

Mriley

This is great news. I hope the preview involves a few specs too. We've seen bits of the car, now we need a few confirmed details.

Not sure if its just a regurgitation of present rumors or not since the lighter weight rumors went hand in hand with the much shorter wheelbase rumor. These guys are saying same wheelbase and a few hundred lbs lighter. We'll see, but I too am skeptical it can be done without a change in wheelbase. I know we're not getting lots of exotic materials on anything but maybe the hipo.

Dub347sbf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 F150 4x4 Lariat 3.5 Ecoboost
Niceeeeeee I'm so excited