Sponsored

Multimatic Going to 2015 Mustang racing .... August 2014?

GTMamba

Threads
Reaction score
Saw this info posted recently....

During the Cont Sports Car Series race, the last race of the season at Lime Rock (which was won by Jack Roush Jr and Billy Johnson in a Mustang) , and about 3/4 through the race the announcers stated that for 2014 Multimatic was going back to Ford Mustangs from the current Aston Martins to help Ford Develop the next gen Mustang race car but won't see them till around Aug. 2014, IDK if this is to anyones interest but just nice to hear the next gen Mustang being talked about in racing...

The bolded part is what interested me most. Could this be an indication of when the S550 will be available?
Sponsored

JohnZiraldo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
86 Mustang GT Conv., 11 Edge Sport
Saw this info posted recently....

During the Cont Sports Car Series race, the last race of the season at Lime Rock (which was won by Jack Roush Jr and Billy Johnson in a Mustang) , and about 3/4 through the race the announcers stated that for 2014 Multimatic was going back to Ford Mustangs from the current Aston Martins to help Ford Develop the next gen Mustang race car but won't see them till around Aug. 2014, IDK if this is to anyones interest but just nice to hear the next gen Mustang being talked about in racing...

The bolded part is what interested me most. Could this be an indication of when the S550 will be available?
I heard that comment the other day while watching a race on Speed channel and I almost jumped out of my chair. I have been a big fan of Multimatic ever since touring their plant just north of Toronto. These are seriously smart racing engineers doing a lot of fantastic stuff. Much of it was off limits to the group in the tour.

Looks like another visit will be in order.

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
In other racing news, Ford is testing at Nurburgring right now... No word on the Mustang.

Sabre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Iconic Silver 2023 Mach 1 with Handling Package
Ford Racing and Michael Shank Racing are also testing the new DP car today at Daytona. They have leased the track, with the intention of breaking Bill Elliot's track speed record. The new DP car features a Ford Racing developed DP body and Ford's 3.5 Twin Turbo Ecoboost engine that was developed together by Ford Racing and RoushYates engines. They plan to campaign the car next year in the DP class of the newly merged Grand Am/ALMS, which will now be called the Tudor United Sports Car Racing series.

Sponsored

OP
OP
GTMamba

GTMamba

Threads
Reaction score
Supposedly Multimatic has had their hands on the 2015 development car for a long time now.

I'm assuming this would be the GT350 (a.k.a. Boss 302R equivalent) which afterall we did see testing with the Boss 302R at the track. Hopefully the August 2014 rumors are true and we see it only months after the GT is shown whether in Jan or April next year.

DBCooper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Ford Racing and Michael Shank Racing are also testing the new DP car today at Daytona. They have leased the track, with the intention of breaking Bill Elliot's track speed record. The new DP car features a Ford Racing developed DP body and Ford's 3.5 Twin Turbo Ecoboost engine that was developed together by Ford Racing and RoushYates engines. They plan to campaign the car next year in the DP class of the newly merged Grand Am/ALMS, which will now be called the Tudor United Sports Car Racing series.
I saw article about this on Racer.com. It would be nice if they could put some Mustang cues on the DP car like GM did w/ the Corvette. Probably have to wait till next yr.

Sabre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Iconic Silver 2023 Mach 1 with Handling Package
Michael Shank Racing's Ford Racing/RoushYates powered V6 3.5 Twin Turbo Ecoboost Daytona Prototype set a new Daytona track record at 222.971 MPH today.

JohnZiraldo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wow, the previous record was set by Bill Elliott in 1987!!!

Here is the report from MSR

DAYTONA BEACH, Florida (Oct. 9, 2013) ā€“ From making its first ever start in the Rolex 24 At Daytona in 2004 to scoring the pole in 2008 to winning the race in 2012, Michael Shank Racing has had some big days at Daytona International Speedway. The team added a significant new chapter to that history on Wednesday as Colin Braun piloted the Ford-powered EcoBoost/Riley combination to the fastest lap ever recorded on the 2.5-mile Daytona International Speedway oval on Wednesday afternoon with a quick lap time of 222.971 mph (40.364 sec.).

Braun also went on to set a pair of international records, subject to homologation from the Federation Internationale de lā€™Automobile (FIA), with new world speed records for 10 kilometers from a standing start and 10 miles from a standing start. Braunā€™s 10-km speed was 202.438 mph and the 10-mile speed was 210.018 mph.
Braunā€™s single-lap speed topped Bill Elliottā€™s record of 210.364 mph set during qualifying for the Daytona 500 in 1987. The 10-km and 10-mile world records were held by Hans Liebold, who drove a Mercedes-Benz Turbo to a 10-km speed of 199.101 mph and a 10-mile speed of 208.316 mph from a standing start in Nardo, Italy on May 5, 1979.
ā€œItā€™s certainly really special to hold the record here at Daytona,ā€ Braun said. ā€œThis is the place where I got my first professional sports car win in the GRAND-AM Rolex Series with a Ford-powered DP car. Itā€™s always been a historic place for a lot of people. This is hallowed ground here at Daytona, so itā€™s really special to hold the record at this place. To get to do it with a group of guys like Mike Shank and with the new EcoBoost Ford motor, itā€™s a special day, for sure.ā€
The record speed runs come on the heels of last weekā€™s announcement that Michael Shank Racing became the first team to utilize Fordā€™s new 3.5-liter, twin-turbo V6 EcoBoost engine in its Daytona Prototype heading into the 2014 debut of the TUDOR United SportsCar Championship. It was the culmination of a process that began several months ago for Shank.
ā€œI canā€™t believe, in my whole racing career, that Iā€™d have an opportunity to do something like this,ā€ Shank said. ā€œI never thought we could. If you think about how fast we went around here in a Daytona Prototype car is a little bit surreal. This thing is extremely fast and Iā€™m extremely proud of it. I think it bodes well for the future of sports car racing in the U.S. Daytona Prototypes are not slow cars. They are very, very capable cars and I think we proved that here today.ā€
The record runs had a captive audience, including GRAND-AM founder Jim France, who along with executives and guests from Ford Racing and Continental Tire, was on hand for the record-setting day at the World Center of Racing.
ā€œIt was a very special, exciting day to be able to set the track record with a Daytona Prototype,ā€ France said. ā€œI think it was very appropriate and very exciting. For Ford with their new EcoBoost engine, for Mike Shank and everybody involved at Ford Motor Company and their engineers and everybody who worked on the project, itā€™s wonderful to come to a great conclusion like this.ā€
The new EcoBoost V6 engine represents a renewed commitment from Ford to North American sports car racing and the TUDOR Championship in particular. Ford Racing Director Jamie Allison was on hand throughout the speed runs at Daytona and was thrilled with the performance of his companyā€™s new powerplant.
ā€œItā€™s a very proud day for all of us at Ford,ā€ said Allison. ā€œTo take a Ford EcoBoost engine that is basically production technology, and to beat speed records that have been on the books for decades really says something for our new engine. Itā€™s a great way to kick off a new era of EcoBoost and sports car racing for Ford. Now weā€™ll start getting it ready to make its competition debut in the TUDOR United SportsCar Championship in January.ā€
The inaugural TUDOR Championship opens with the 52nd Rolex 24 At Daytona on Jan. 25-26, 2014.

JohnZiraldo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Here is another perspective on the significance of the MSR record from Autoweek.

"How important these records are depends on your perspective: It's pretty likely that the current NASCAR Sprint Cup car, if it was allowed to lap without the horsepower-robbing restrictors, could easily eclipse Elliott's record, set nearly 27 years ago. But Daytona has never allowed the track to be used for a formal record attempt since then, and this time, permission was granted largely due to the need for publicity as Grand-Am and the American Le Mans Series combine under the Tudor United SportsCar Championship umbrella, beginning with the 2014 Rolex 24 Hours of Daytona in January."

Can you say "publicity stunt"?

Full article here:
http://www.autoweek.com/article/20131009/grand_am/131009787#ixzz2hJrZJUk3

Still some awesome news about the EB3.5 and the possibilities that could mean for a future GT350-like racer.

600HP! 100HP per cylinder. :shocked:

Sponsored

MYs197

You mean the home page?

That's an Aston. If only that was the '15 huh? ;)

supersnake1204

Threads
Reaction score
You mean the home page?

That's an Aston. If only that was the '15 huh? ;)
Heck ya! The back of the window looks a lot like the shape of the '15 in the recent spy pics of the interior. But I could totally go all out for that! :)

Pabo

Yessir that is one design I would not mind them stealing/borrowing from at all. Booty full!

Topnotch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mazda CX-9 Touring
GT350 with a 3.5 EcoBoost has a nice ring to it. Plus they could use the blue and black stripes Shelby Style across the car.
Sponsored