Sponsored

Ford Confirms 2015 Mustang Cobra Jet: Development Already Underway

Callie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 GT Convertible
From Hot Rod Magazine:

Talking with our friends at Ford, we were curious whether Ford’s Cobra Jet [CJ] program for Sportsman drag racing would continue into the new-generation Mustang that will be unveiled April, 2014. They have confirmed that development for a 2015 CJ is currently underway. Interestingly, they would not confirm whether it’s based on the new ’15 Mustang platform. Does that mean the CJ development has shifted to Ford’s rear wheel drive Taurus, or a rear wheel drive configuration of their AWD Fusion?

That remains to be seen. Says Ford’s Jesse Kershaw, “Our goals remain the same for next year as they are every year, produce a competitive product at a price that is a value for the racer. We want to ensure this program is here to stay.” HOT ROD will continue to monitor CJ development and report on any new findings.
Sponsored

Melino

Taurus? Fusion? No way!

It's probably Ford just doing their usual sealed lips routine with anything 2015 related.

HTownStang

Good to hear after they announced pulling support for NHRA drag racing.

T-5 killer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 Cobra
Its going to be a Mustang. Hot Rod always pulls random out of there arse. I remember when then S197 rumor mill was going and Hot Rod was saying that the new Mustang will be a 3.9 V8.

StangFX

I can't believe MT just published an article about this too, that the 2015 CJ might not be on the Mustang platform. What, because Ford didn't confirm it will be, that means it won't be? Given how mum they have been on the S550 is that really surprising?

If we're into outlandish theories I have a better one than Taurus/Fusion one which is just a ridiculous guess IMO. What if the '15 Cobrajet stays on the old platform for a while? For its own purposes it might make sense to stick with the live rear axle.

Sponsored

Rob

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Introducing the new Cobra Jet Fusion!!!!

:lol::lol::lol:

Followed shortly there after by a huge party over at Chevy.

Thed

Future Pre-Runner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Miata Club
I heard it's too be based on the S197 and not the S550. Makes sense if you ask me.

let me ride

Threads
Reaction score
From Mustang Daily ----

We can now confirm that the next generation Cobra Jet will in fact be a Mustang. We asked Ford Racing head honcho Jamie Allison directly, and he emphatically told us that "Mustang and Cobra Jet are inseparable!"

Interestingly, you might already be able to put your order in for a next generation Cobra Jet. Back in July Kershaw informed us that Ford Racing accepts placeholder orders for future Cobra Jets under the part number M-FR500-CJ. "This is a holding order bank that gives those dealers first right of refusal on the next model year car," he told us.
What a silly silly rumor that Hot Rod started. Was there really any doubt it would be a Mustang? This guy didn't actually confirm it would be built on the S550 platform tho.

Anyone know the volume of CJ's last year? I think the only question is whether it's worth it for them to keep the tooling to build these on an old platform?

T-5 killer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 Cobra
From Mustang Daily ----

What a silly silly rumor that Hot Rod started. Was there really any doubt it would be a Mustang? This guy didn't actually confirm it would be built on the S550 platform tho.

Anyone know the volume of CJ's last year? I think the only question is whether it's worth it for them to keep the tooling to build these on an old platform?
It has been 50 cars for both 2013 and 2014 model years. IIRC it was 50 cars a year since the start of the program in '08.

http://www.fordracingparts.com/cobrajet/PDFS/2014_CJ_Product_Announcement.pdf

Sponsored

Dirk McGurck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Nissan 370Z Touring with Sport
I would buy a RWD Taurus or Fusion, if they offered it in manual. That would be fun, especially since GM killed the G8 GXP before they even gave it life.

Sabre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Iconic Silver 2023 Mach 1 with Handling Package
Perhaps some of the money that Ford Racing pulled from the top tier of NHRA is going to go to and/or be focused more on the Sportman and like classes....moving money down to the more "grassroots" level?

Just a thought.

rb336

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Focus
Introducing the new Cobra Jet Fusion!!!!

:lol::lol::lol:

Followed shortly there after by a huge party over at Chevy.
actually an AWD, 400+ hp fusion would be great
Sponsored