Sponsored

Q for Tuners - 2018 GT & F/I

Z_Rocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Import
Since the 18' GT going with DI, higher compression (less optimum for F/I) and higher rev limit, how is that going to affect the F/I aftermarket and kits?
Sponsored

Livernois Motorsports

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.livernoismotorsports.com
First Name
S550 HQ
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT (TVS 2650) (6R80)
Since the 18' GT going with DI, higher compression (less optimum for F/I) and higher rev limit, how is that going to affect the F/I aftermarket and kits?
This is a "cross that bridge when we get there" kind of topic. We can debate all we want, but until we go hands on with a product it's all numbers on a board and ideas in the air.

OP
OP
Z_Rocks

Z_Rocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Import
This is a "cross that bridge when we get there" kind of topic. We can debate all we want, but until we go hands on with a product it's all numbers on a board and ideas in the air.
Sorry, your response doesn't sound like a Livernois "Engineer", and more like an internet sales person.
Livernois has a lot of experience in DI and high compression (i.e. LT engine) already rather than "Let's Wait & See". So they already know where the challenges are.

Terminator2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
It will have port and DI. Bigger port injectors and low pressure fuel pump would be the first steps. I wouldn't worry about higher compression with FI on a modern VCT motor especially with the added cooling effect that direct injection brings. I've tuned GDI Turbo cars for almost a decade now they do well if there is enough fuel and with port injection being added I see it as a good thing.

OP
OP
Z_Rocks

Z_Rocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Import
It will have port and DI. Bigger port injectors and low pressure fuel pump would be the first steps. I wouldn't worry about higher compression with FI on a modern VCT motor especially with the added cooling effect that direct injection brings. I've tuned GDI Turbo cars for almost a decade now they do well if there is enough fuel and with port injection being added I see it as a good thing.
The DI cooling effects (as you pointed out) helps greatly with detonation even with higher compression.

Thanks for the input.

Sponsored

ProChargerTECH

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang(s)
Since we have been tuning D-I set ups for boost, since the first month we could get our hands on the GM LT-1 engine.... we are excited. :)

Don't think anyone has more DI supercharger experience at this point than us. (other than an OEM) :) .....

Not to mention currently holding every single Corvette Record, and we hear a few Camaros are about to claim a bunch as well. :) So we are beyond excited about the new S550 changes. :)

OP
OP
Z_Rocks

Z_Rocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Import
Since we have been tuning D-I set ups for boost, since the first month we could get our hands on the GM LT-1 engine.... we are excited. :)

Don't think anyone has more DI supercharger experience at this point than us. (other than an OEM) :) .....

Not to mention currently holding every single Corvette Record, and we hear a few Camaros are about to claim a bunch as well. :) So we are beyond excited about the new S550 changes. :)
I agree with your experience... And I'm happy to hear DI did not put a bad taste in your mouth with F/I and higher compression.

If tuned properly the 12:0 and DI will even respond better with lower boost.

Livernois Motorsports

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.livernoismotorsports.com
First Name
S550 HQ
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT (TVS 2650) (6R80)
Sorry, your response doesn't sound like a Livernois "Engineer", and more like an internet sales person.
Livernois has a lot of experience in DI and high compression (i.e. LT engine) already rather than "Let's Wait & See". So they already know where the challenges are.
This is probably more along the lines of what people were expecting:

So far, with our experience with EcoBoost, and GM LT, we welcome the DI, and don't view it as a challenge at all. Will there still be a need to drop compression on bigger power levels, and will there be unique hurdles with it? Absolutely, but nothing we haven't run into before. Tuning just becomes even more critical, and further separates those that understand what is involved in proper calibration, and those that do not. The fuel system will be the biggest challenge, and we hope there is more headway in it than the EcoBoost since much of the calibration needs to focus around ensuring the fuel system isn't taxed too far, but we can always devise solutions for that just like we are for the EB world!

Whipple SC

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 5.0
The new PCM will be a much bigger issue for most and far more of an issue than the DI/high compression. For the F/I, we don't see it as an issue at all. There is a lot more than just compression and DI done to it. Many, many will struggle on this and there is going to be a steep learning curve.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Z_Rocks

Z_Rocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Import
The new PCM will be a much bigger issue for most and far more of an issue than the DI/high compression. For the F/I, we don't see it as an issue at all. There is a lot more than just compression and DI done to it. Many, many will struggle on this and there is going to be a steep learning curve.
Dustin, I have a friend who has a very successful shop in N.J. and they do mainly GM cars with S/C. I remember when GM changed to D/I, his words were exactly what you said above. What he said about the PCM and the learning curve. :thumbsup:

It took them a long time before they start taking customers with those new engines, and the fuel delivery was also a big challenge as he noted.

I'm surprised to see Ford went this direction for 2018 and not in 2020 with the model change.

sigintel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Micromotive on new ECU? Or?

pwnall1337

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
Cam changes for the H.P. pump becomes an added cost though.
Shouldn't need to worry about that, you can upgrade port injectors and low pressure pump and rely more on the port system at high HP while getting benefits from DI system like better cooling.

z06psi

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
The pot stirrer
Shouldn't need to worry about that, you can upgrade port injectors and low pressure pump and rely more on the port system at high HP while getting benefits from DI system like better cooling.
That is dependent on where the port injector is getting it's supply from.

16MustangVet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang 5.0
Wow way to act like the same week it was released/leaked the aftermarket already has the exact same ones in their shops and are at this very moment working like santas work shop to bring Z_Rocks a FI kit long before its even in dealer lots or reviewed by any automovie media outlets.......

Does any one know the specifics of the "gen3" dual fuel engine? NO nor does the aftermarket vendors......

what an insulting and ignorant post to a vendor on this site.

posts like that and posts from MR. 200 pound whipple boat anchor aka Mustang_guy are going to get called out every single time i come across them......

:lol:
Sponsored