Sponsored

Official: 2018 Ford Mustang Refresh Detailed! (Options/Features, Specs, Photos, Info)

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
but will it have the trade mark DI idle dip that plagues soooo many platforms, not just ford
The PFI will be the lead dog at idle and WOT, for the most part.
Sponsored

TomcatDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Magnetic w/black stripes
Two things:

The added DI adds complexity, cost and weight. You will have a more maintenance-intensive engine, I assure you that, and it will be more expensive to maintain. Peak power potential* will not be significantly higher on pump gas from the DI alone. The 12:1 compression ratio will do more than the DI.
But those are related, correct? The DI is a big part of what allows you to run the higher compression.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

Sl13cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 GT500
Two things:

The added DI adds complexity, cost and weight. You will have a more maintenance-intensive engine, I assure you that, and it will be more expensive to maintain. Peak power potential* will not be significantly higher on pump gas from the DI alone. The 12:1 compression ratio will do more than the DI. That is the only real area where the 18+ 5.0L will hold an advantage over the '15-'17, particularly a tuned '15-'17. My car right now has higher crank HP than the '18 will have, guaranteed.

There are other things that I cannot share, legally.

Don't get me wrong, it will be a very good engine. On paper, it is superior in nearly every way. The '15 took everything good about the '11-'14 Coyote, made those better, and made it more robust simultaneously. I know which one I'd want to own for years to come, vs. one to keep for a few years and trade in.

*higher peak power can be achieved while meeting emissions with DI.
Alright. Thanks for the input.

I'm no rocket scientist, but my gut tells me the refreshed platform is being primed for a big numbers car (DI, revised tranny and clutch, rumors abound about upcoming models, etc.)

I know this, the GT350 is already in the range of the '13/14 GT500s (GT500 being about 63k without a ton of options). That car was the 5th gen halo car. Sooo .... the 6th gen halo car is gonna be way more expensive. I simply can't afford that car. Not if I'm being smart about it.

American manufacturers are fast pricing themselves out of average guy territory with their halo cars. And that's fine with me. It's exciting to watch anyways.

airfuel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not a Bullitt
Two things:

The added DI adds complexity, cost and weight. You will have a more maintenance-intensive engine, I assure you that, and it will be more expensive to maintain.
Could you please explain this some more? More maintenance?
Isn't the fuel system part of the emission system covered much more than the usual 3/30k

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Could you please explain this some more? More maintenance?
Isn't the fuel system part of the emission system covered much more than the usual 3/30k
It's part of the powertrain warranty, which is 5/60k. Later in the engine's life there will be more things to maintain and possibly replace (HPFP, DI injectors), which aren't cheap or particularly easy.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Two things:The 12:1 compression ratio will do more than the DI.
And still, the HP increase from the bumped compression isn't what is going to give a lot of power...as the coyote is already starting at a fairly high compression ratio. My guess is the first 10hp is going to come from the bumped compression while the rest is going to be from raising the RPM.

On a side note, is anyone aware if the MY18 5.0 mustang will allow owners to run 87 octane?

airfuel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not a Bullitt
It's part of the powertrain warranty, which is 5/60k. Later in the engine's life there will be more things to maintain and possibly replace (HPFP, DI injectors), which aren't cheap or particularly easy.
Oh, seems a little "chicken little".
Like when carbs went to FI or pushrods went to DOHC.
Just the price of admission to technology. I'm not worried and hope this is the best Coyote yet from Ford.

Sponsored

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
And still, the HP increase from the bumped compression isn't what is going to give a lot of power...as the coyote is already starting at a fairly high compression ratio. My guess is the first 10hp is going to come from the bumped compression while the rest is going to be from raising the RPM.

On a side note, is anyone aware if the MY18 5.0 mustang will allow owners to run 87 octane?
Generally speaking, with all else similar in an engine, a point in compression nets about a 3% bump.

Any more is going to be efficiency via the DI and any other tweaks that are made (intake, cams, etc.).

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
Posts like this give me hesitation about my plan to buy a 2018 Bullitt and keep it forever. I know first year of a new engine is always a little iffy, but I'm comforted by the fact that it's dual injection so at least we won't have to worry about carbon buildup. I guess all I can say is if you're right about these parts being less reliable or having shorter lifespans, hopefully by the time these motors get to higher miles these replacement parts will be a little more commonplace and therefore cheaper.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
I have a VW with the 2.0T in the fleet which is pushing 80K on the odo. It's been an anvil so far, but I'm paranoid about the inevitable with the DI components and the expense thereof. I hope it makes it another three years of trouble free bliss before I send it down the road to become someone else's future problem.....

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Generally speaking, with all else similar in an engine, a point in compression nets about a 3% bump.

Any more is going to be efficiency via the DI and any other tweaks that are made (intake, cams, etc.).
It's tough to talk generalities about compression. Bumping compresson from 8:1 to 9:1 will yield far higher HP gains than going from 11:1 to 12:1. While 3% may be right for 8-9, from 11-12 may only be 2%. Regardless, were talking close to 10 HP either way.

If you look at an efficiency chart of the Otto cycle you'll see why.

Screen_Shot_2011-08-25_at_1.53.54_PM.png

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
Posts like this give me hesitation about my plan to buy a 2018 Bullitt and keep it forever.

There is no modern car that I would keep forever simply from the cost of maintaining it especially after parts stop being produced. Classic car parts are super easy to make and cost/supply will always be there. Modern electronics become obsolete too damn quick for any company to want to continue producing them for any extended period of time. 30 years from now the ECU/BCM and things like the SRS modules will be expensive paper weights.
Sponsored