Sponsored

S550 Mustang to replace Falcon in Australia in 2016

Prodigy

I had thought the Falcon's demise in Australia would pave the way for the Mustang there. It may have just been confirmed.

The highlights here:

- Mustang to replace Falcon in 2016 (same year Falcon is set to end)
- Jim Farley will deliver the news in Australia on August 13, 2013
- S550 unveil at NYAIS next year
- Ford Australia will only be getting the V8 trim
- Expected to have a starting price around $50,000
- Ford Australia has not confirmed, but sources have said "Mustang is a goer" for Australia
- Mustang may persuade V8 Supercars series to modify rules to allow 2-door coupes

Exclusive: Ford Mustang returns to Australia after almost 50 years

Grieving Ford fans will soon have a reason to get over the loss of the locally-made Falcon. The iconic Ford Mustang muscle car will return to Australia after almost 50 years. It will replace the Falcon as Ford's performance hero in 2016, the same year the Falcon is axed.

Ford's global vice president of sales and marketing, Jim Farley, will fly to Australia to personally deliver the good news on August 13. Farley is the same Detroit executive who spent the past three years deflecting media questions about the future of Ford's Australian manufacturing operations. The normally secretive Ford is taking the unusual step of making the announcement early because it is trying to reassure Australians it will continue to sell cars here even though it will close its manufacturing operations after 90 years.

Australia will not get the Mustang currently on sale in North America, but an all-new model that's been designed for global sales. It is due to be unveiled at next year's New York motor show on the 50th anniversary of the Mustang. Some countries will get a four-cylinder version of the new Mustang but Ford Australia is understood to only be taking the V8 performance models. The last time a Ford Mustang was imported to Australia as a right-hand-drive car was in the late 1960s.

Ford Australia converted a small number of Mustangs locally between 2001 and 2003. They were rushed in to compete with the modern Holden Monaro but, priced close to $90,000, fewer than 400 were sold. Ford won't make the same mistake this time around and the new Mustang is expected to have a starting price close to $50,000. In North America, the basic V6 Mustang costs less than $30,000.

Ford Australia would not confirm the announcement but confidential sources have confirmed to Carsguide: "Mustang is a goer".

The new generation Mustang has already been confirmed for the UK - likely to be the largest market for right-hand-drive models, with Australia next in line. Because right-hand-drive versions of the Mustang are expected to account for less than 10 per cent of global sales Ford Detroit is keen to sell it in as many countries as possible to recover the extra engineering costs involved in making a right-hand-drive model. The Mustang will spearhead Ford Australia's revived line-up at a time when it will likely be receiving gloomy publicity over its factory closures.

When announcing the closure of the Broadmeadows car assembly line and Geelong engine factory, Ford Australia boss Bob Graziano said the company would increase its model range by 30 per cent with more imported cars.

The arrival of the Ford Mustang may persuade organisers of the V8 Supercars racing series to modify the rules to allow two-door coupes to compete. Currently only sedan vehicles are eligible to race in Australia's premiere motorsport championship. Racing legend Dick Johnson raced a Mustang in the 1985 and 1986 Australian touring car championships when Ford temporarily dropped the Falcon V8.

http://www.carsguide.com.au/news-and-reviews/car-news/ford_mustang_will_replace_falcon_in_2016
Sponsored

OP
OP

stangray11

Damage control for sure.

Ford did say they were expanding its line up there by 30%. It's good to see aussies will get another performance vehicle in exchange for the Falcon... and the S550 will be more than a worthy replacement.

OP
OP

Melino

Wonder if they got more confirm of the NY reveal or just repeating what most people are thinking.

likeaboss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Corvette Z51
They have to show it before NYIAS unless they plan on having a large gap between final 2014 production and 2015 availability.

MustangDizzle

Threads
Reaction score
They will show it before April.

The speculation over April 17th as the reveal date, I believe, is wrong.

Since this rumor is a fabrication, not something released by Ford, logic leads me to believe that April 17 would be the date of availability/on sale date if it is a date of significance that Ford wishes to acknowledge.

C7 was revealed in January, and is still not on dealer lots. Ford is going to reveal it in time for buyers in the Spring.

Sponsored

likeaboss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Corvette Z51
They will show it before April.

The speculation over April 17th as the reveal date, I believe, is wrong.

Since this rumor is a fabrication, not something released by Ford, logic leads me to believe that April 17 would be the date of availability/on sale date if it is a date of significance that Ford wishes to acknowledge.

C7 was revealed in January, and is still not on dealer lots. Ford is going to reveal it in time for buyers in the Spring.
It would make more sense to have the on sale date be the 50th Anniversary. Maybe show a SE model as well for late availability.

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Well, if that is true (and how/why would they make up a date (Aug 13th) for Jim Farley making the announcement??) then it would also confirm RHD for the UK. Our market would be far too small to be the only RHD one, so these added sales make sense.

Me......hmm, I like sitting on the "wrong" side of the car, as do 95% of my Mustang owning UK-based friends.

Falc'man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Falcon
Just for the record, I wouldn't piss on Josh Dowling if he was on fire.

Twin Turbo, there's an invite by Ford Au to selected media for the 13th of August. I and a few others from our forum also received invites. The event, “Go Further: A Vision for Australia” will be hosted by Jim Farley.

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT

Twin Turbo, there's an invite by Ford Au to selected media for the 13th of August. I and a few others from our forum also received invites. The event, “Go Further: A Vision for Australia” will be hosted by Jim Farley.
Interesting, thanks. It's also cool that you've been invited :)

OP
OP

JackHoya

Well, if that is true (and how/why would they make up a date (Aug 13th) for Jim Farley making the announcement??) then it would also confirm RHD for the UK. Our market would be far too small to be the only RHD one, so these added sales make sense.

Me......hmm, I like sitting on the "wrong" side of the car, as do 95% of my Mustang owning UK-based friends.
I thought RHD was already confirmed for the UK? Or was that just a rumor?

I like this new Ford... thinking smartly on a global scale instead of converting a mere 400 units in one country with a 90K cost. I would imagine that if it does end up being $50K for a V8, it will be a result of a lot of sharing and cost spreading with the UK version.

Sounds like this pretty much confirms it. Unless you have heard chatter that it could be something else, Falc'man?

BTW, which is your forum?

Sponsored
OP
OP

JackHoya

Ford haven't even admitted S550 exists, never mind confirming RHD :)
This is true of course. :)

What I should have said is, whether or not it is the S550, Ford has confirmed the Mustang will go on sale officially in the UK (?). I thought that meant RHD is a given, but that may be assuming too much. :shrug:

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
This is true of course. :)

What I should have said is, whether or not it is the S550, Ford has confirmed the Mustang will go on sale officially in the UK (?). I thought that meant RHD is a given, but that may be assuming too much. :shrug:
We can register LHD cars in Britain, but they can't in Australia (least not after a certain age of car), so if it's sold in Oz it has to be RHD.

I'm hoping Ford of Europe, or at least Britain, will be confirming we're getting S550 (either L or RHD) sometime around Christmas.