Sponsored

S550 SVT Cobra: 5.2L NA Engine Details & More

JackHoya

Check this out.

So another thread here talked about the Road and Track article which claimed:

And then, friends, it gets really interesting. We’ve heard some wild scuttlebutt pertaining to the SVT car. For one, don’t be surprised if it drops the Shelby moniker. Word is, it’ll still have a name you’re familiar with, though. Our money’s on Cobra.

And there’s more: we also hear that the next-gen SVT Mustang will drop the supercharger and go all-motor (like the Camaro Z/28) for its monster power fix.
Now we have the Truth About Cars site claims that because R&T outted the details about the SVT Cobra, it can now provide its own insider info that it's been holding on to:

Spend enough time on the autoblogosphere and you’ll know that most “rumors” propagated by various auto sites are at best worthless garbage created to generate pageview clicks. The best stuff usually doesn’t make it to the pages of the publication, because sources need to be protected, and the juiciest rumors would inevitably somebody’s cover if they were revealed.

Thanks to some of our supplier contacts (hey, if the OEMs won’t talk to us, we’ll go elsewhere), we’ve known a fair bit about the 2015 Mustang for some time. But we didn’t want to publish anything about it just yet, largely because doing so would have meant that a trusted source would have been burned.

But now that Road & Track has spilled the beans on the all new SVT Cobra, (with accurate information that was certainly gleaned from someone deep inside Ford) it’s time for us to show our hand (with the permission of our source). Among the new features appearing on the 2015 Mustang:

- Independent rear suspension (but you knew that).

- A 3.7L V6, 5.0 V8. The new 2.3L Ecoboost I4 is said to make roughly 270 horsepower.

- MT82 6-speed will carry over

- The SVT Cobra will have a 5.2L naturally aspirated V8 with no engine cover. The reason for that is because the new styling (and Euro safety regs) mean a supercharger is not feasible as far as fitting under the hood goes.

- There will be further option packages for the SVT car to make it even more hardcore and track-oriented
Sponsored

OP
OP

Mriley

Wow big day for some leaks.

Interesting, 5.2L NA with no engine cover.... any Ford cars currently use a 5.2?

MT82 ugh. Was hoping they'd update that.

OP
OP

JackHoya

5.2L seems seriously under powered, won't even make 500hp without FI. We have OneFord and global sales plans to thank for this again.

And if their I4 numbers are right, we're in for a big drop in hp for this next gen for the base and special editions.

MustangDizzle

Threads
Reaction score
5.2L seems seriously under powered, won't even make 500hp without FI. We have OneFord and global sales plans to thank for this again.

And if their I4 numbers are right, we're in for a big drop in hp for this next gen for the base and special editions.
Please,

Ferrari makes much smaller ci V8 engines that can easily make 600hp.

How awesome would an Direct Injected, 11.5:1 compression, 8500 rpm 600hp NA mustang be? Freaking amazing, that's what.

If they nail the suspension right, and make weight reduction a priority (which the high end SVT models can afford to use magnesium. Aluminum and carbon fiber)We could finally see an SVT car that is significantly lighter than the entry level models, and with significantly higher horsepower ratings and exceptional weight balance.

This is EXACTLY what Corvette does, and it works phenomenally. If Ford has turn a new leaf to follow that mode of performance models, I'm extremely happy to hear it. Porsche also does the same, sort of.

If the can put all the power down, and the weight is where it needs to be, it's going to be a phenomenal performer. I know we've seen a 662 hp Shelby, but let's be honest, anything over 500hp in a light car is a screamer. If the 5.2 NA is legit, it's going to be in the 550+ hp range, and if they do what I now suspect they are planning, the high end model is going to weigh significantly less than the entry level model.

If the "SVT" model becomes the Z06 of the Mustang, I'm on board for that.

Besides, I'm certain a cowl hood makes fitting a TVS, Kenne Bell, or Whipple no problem at all. Only the most hardcore guys would do that in the first place.

Also, a 450 hp Porsche Carrera S would kick a 2013 Shelby's ass on the track, so if the SVT is aimed as a light weight performer as opposed to an overweight power monster that can't put all that torque down, it's going to legitimately compete with top performing cars. That's a step in the right direction.

One other thing is that this doesn't mean the GT500 is out, because it has already been confirmed by Shelby that it will indeed continue, this is the car aimed to the Z28, not the ZL1. Perhaps the GT350 -rumored variant.

Sponsored

Falc'man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Falcon
My mail says it's not "Cobra".

Not sure Ecoboost V8 should be ruled out.

Overboost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S197
And where are those twin-turbo Coyote guys at? :shrug:

Hell of a good day for leaks on S550 yesterday.

OP
OP

Melino

So we get two SVT products at once? So then what goes in the GT500? A blown 5.2?

Overboost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S197
So we get two SVT products at once? So then what goes in the GT500? A blown 5.2?
When has SVT produced two Mustang based products at once? Aside from the Cobra/Cobra R, they don't. Read the article, they mention a blower won't work because of new design and Euro pedestrian crash standards.

OP
OP

Melino

When has SVT produced two Mustang based products at once? Aside from the Cobra/Cobra R, they don't. Read the article, they mention a blower won't work because of new design and Euro pedestrian crash standards.
Ok I must be confused because I thought the SVT Cobra would be separate from the GT500 which is why I asked how or why SVT would do 2 products. I know they basically have never, but Shelby America already mentioned the GT500 would live on with the Shelby name so I figured we are talking 2 different variants here.

Sponsored

MustangDizzle

Threads
Reaction score
The new design doesn't disallow installing a supercharger. The issue appears to be hood clearance, nothing more. Putting a blower on with a taller hood is a piece of cake.

Also, supercharged Mercedes meet euro crash standard and use roots/twin screw style blowers.

Overboost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S197
Ok I must be confused because I thought the SVT Cobra would be separate from the GT500 which is why I asked how or why SVT would do 2 products. I know they basically have never, but Shelby America already mentioned the GT500 would live on with the Shelby name so I figured we are talking 2 different variants here.
SVT and Shelby American handle it two different ways. We still don't know what the new car might be called (rumors here point to GT350), but Shelby American will most likely produce something of their own. They aren't coming from the same place is the point I'm trying to make.

The new design doesn't disallow installing a supercharger. The issue appears to be hood clearance, nothing more. Putting a blower on with a taller hood is a piece of cake.

Also, supercharged Mercedes meet euro crash standard and use roots/twin screw style blowers.
Yes, you are correct. At this point we still have a lot of uncertainties and who knows if these rumors are indeed correct.

OP
OP

KZStang

It really begs the question whether this rumored SVT product would even be officially offered in Europe in the first place. It makes sense to design a volume Mustang to comply with European safety regs, but the economics of it surely begins to really disfavor making even more concessions for special products that will undoubtedly sell in extremely limited numbers in Europe, given the price, taxes, insurance and gas costs.

Thed

Future Pre-Runner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Miata Club
It really begs the question whether this rumored SVT product would even be officially offered in Europe in the first place. It makes sense to design a volume Mustang to comply with European safety regs, but the economics of it surely begins to really disfavor making even more concessions for special products that will undoubtedly sell in extremely limited numbers in Europe, given the price, taxes, insurance and gas costs.
+1

Excellent post.

OP
OP

JackHoya

Please,

Ferrari makes much smaller ci V8 engines that can easily make 600hp.

How awesome would an Direct Injected, 11.5:1 compression, 8500 rpm 600hp NA mustang be? Freaking amazing, that's what.

If they nail the suspension right, and make weight reduction a priority (which the high end SVT models can afford to use magnesium. Aluminum and carbon fiber)We could finally see an SVT car that is significantly lighter than the entry level models, and with significantly higher horsepower ratings and exceptional weight balance.

This is EXACTLY what Corvette does, and it works phenomenally. If Ford has turn a new leaf to follow that mode of performance models, I'm extremely happy to hear it. Porsche also does the same, sort of.

If the can put all the power down, and the weight is where it needs to be, it's going to be a phenomenal performer. I know we've seen a 662 hp Shelby, but let's be honest, anything over 500hp in a light car is a screamer. If the 5.2 NA is legit, it's going to be in the 550+ hp range, and if they do what I now suspect they are planning, the high end model is going to weigh significantly less than the entry level model.

If the "SVT" model becomes the Z06 of the Mustang, I'm on board for that.

Besides, I'm certain a cowl hood makes fitting a TVS, Kenne Bell, or Whipple no problem at all. Only the most hardcore guys would do that in the first place.

Also, a 450 hp Porsche Carrera S would kick a 2013 Shelby's ass on the track, so if the SVT is aimed as a light weight performer as opposed to an overweight power monster that can't put all that torque down, it's going to legitimately compete with top performing cars. That's a step in the right direction.

One other thing is that this doesn't mean the GT500 is out, because it has already been confirmed by Shelby that it will indeed continue, this is the car aimed to the Z28, not the ZL1. Perhaps the GT350 -rumored variant.
I agree with everything you're saying, but you're talking whole separate leagues of cars. Yes, ferrari/porsche engineers are able to achieve this... it can be done if they throw enough talent and money at the problem, but at what cost to the consumer? While a SVT certainly won't have the price constraints of the high volume Mustangs, it still needs to work within the same basic framework set by Ford. Also, this raises one of the issues I see with the s550 engine line up.

So far, we're looking at near-confirmed I4, 3.7 V6, and 5.0 V8. 3 engines already. A SVT variant that falls within the GT and GT500 (possibly GT350) would get a 5.2L presumably based off the coyote engine. That's 4. Then the GT500 which usually gets its own separate engine. 5 engines in a lineup that moves less than 100k units, and 2 unique engines for special editions that will sell in very limited quantities? All this under the OneFord program that strives to share components and powertrains across the line up.

I dont know of any other Ford vehicle right now that would share these new engine options... maybe a future RWD Lincoln. :shrug:
Sponsored